Which is the best bug spray??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
It seems like I tried so many. Cany anyone help with bug sprays for the minis???

I use a natural spray by Eqyss called Marigold Spray. No chemicals in this at all.

You do have to use it pretty often, as it doesn't stay for days like others with chemicals in them.

It's also highly rated by The Horse Journal.

Pyhranna or ZonkIT in my my grooming cart.

Kinda along the same lines - has anyone used the Equi-spot or another product like it on there minis?

Fly spray wise I use a very VERY dulited citrus based dog dip solution but its applied almost daily.

Ummmm, we use vinegar & water lol & we get awful flies & It works really good & helps w/ the moquitos (sp?)

Ash :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used equi-spot on my now deceased shetland a few years ago when I had someone else taking care of him (I could not trust them to keep him fly sprayed and their kids dumped out my expensive bottle of fly spray anyway, grrrrrr) and his hair all fell out at the application sites... and it only kept the flies away for a little while. I followed the directions to the letter, but he just reacted badly to it. I would not use it again.

Does that work with misquitoes and flies? I found it in the Jeffers book and it doesnt say.

Thanks

I use Endure...I believe it's by Farnam. Does a good job with mosquitos and flies. It's oil based so you may want to watch out when you use it for your drivers you don't get it on any parts that your tack will be on.

I've been using the Absorbine Ultrashield. Be warned, though, they have changed the formulation and the product is now called Ultrashield EQ (I think it's EQ--there's some letters after the name). It is not the same as last year's version--I've had several people tell me that they used the new version & their horses had serious reactions to it--major hair loss & irritated skin, seems to me some blistering on some of the horses.

No, they didn't apply it too strong or too often, it's just something in the new formula that is very harsh on skin. I don't know as it affects all horses badly, but definitely some react to it even though they had no trouble with the original version. I haven't bought any yet this spring--now I'm not sure I want to risk trying it to see of my horses are okay with it. So, I'm not sure what I'll be using this year.

Just something for Ultrashield users to be aware of!

I agree with Ash. I use Apple Cidar Vinegar and water and it works great! No bad chemicals or side effects to worry about. IMHO, When I have gotten anything from a farm store, if the instructions tell you that you need to be careful when you dispose of the empty bottle, I don't think I want it on my horses anyway. :no:

Just my 2 cents

I used a "natural" formula from absorbine last year and it didn't seem to do much. I just started using Bronco. Wow! The flies (there are not too many yet) were hovering over the horses but not landing. It's great stuff.

How much of it with water do you use?
We have some pretty vicious fly's here & we use a ratio of 1:3 1 being the vinegar, if you want stronger stuff just add more vinegar.
default_smile.png

I don't know if it is your barn or just on the horses, but we invested in a barn spray system made by pyrana. Yes it is costly, but it works. We have a fly free barn. People that come to look at horses will notice first thing that we have no flys. I also put fly traps above the stalls. I use pyranha regular spray at shows and stuff, but at home I very rarely have to use anything on the horses because they are covered while in the stalls and when I turn them out the flys just stay away. Jeffers carries the fly system and the insecticide that goes in it. It is safe over their food, water, ect. We have had ours for 10 years. You can buy replacement parts if things tear up. We keep 15 horses in the barn the majority of the time and it handles it.

Back