Where to get wooden cart for CDE?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save for an aerocrown. You wont be sorry. All around cart and beautiful and a breeze to pull. Can use for all.

Hmm, yes, I do quite like the look/ sound of the aerocrown. What is the difference between the aerocrown and the minicrown?

Mini crown can take 1.5 people (bench style seat), ie: One adult and one smallish child. So you don't slide in the seat when driving solo a wedge is a good idea. The aerocrown is much lighter, and is a single seat. My seat has a high back and nice padded arm rests and is very very comfortable. The suspension is a dream the wheels don't sink in and the design is awesome. You can add extras like a nice dash cover and you can take out the floor and use stirrups if you want for marathon. I have the basic design with the nice higher back seat that hugs you in. You might want to investigate weight of driver recommendations, of the aerocrown vs the bellcrown. Delicately putting it, for larger bottomed drivers might want to consider one design over the other, that said.. when I was a bit larger I still fit in the aerocrown nicely, so to spell it out, big bottoms fit, but really big bottoms might not. (sorry, just trying to help describe what I know).......

I got mine with burgandy wheels and it is gorgeous and easy to keep clean. my boy pulled it like nothing was behind him. You can order them with custom height seat for shorter or longer legged folks. The aerocrown fit me nicely factory with my feet on the floor and just the right height, but in the aerocrown my legs dangled and I would have ordered a lower seat if I had chosen a bellcrown over the aerocrown. For me trying one vs the other, the aerocrown won hands down on comfort.

You simply don't move at all in the seat and you can enter and exit in about one second. It is that easy. On hills my boy struggled on with my wooden cart, he breezed up in the aerocrown. Even grossly out of shape he pulls the aerocrown nicely. The aerocrown back is a bit higher than the bellcrown and I found that more comfortable and supporting.

One cart for all in my opinion. Many other folks on here would agree. I wanted a hyperbike badly but I am not limber and my boy does not have a steady stand or whoa all the time so the aerocrown was my 2 choice. It is really pretty and has a nice seat pad that you can remove.

http://www.bellcrowncarriagesusa.com/aerocrown.php

I got the top photo seat and the burgandy wheels, wheel color is not extra. I got mine from Carriage machine shop in Pa from Steven Stoltzfus, same price as everywhere else, seems consistant on price everywhere. You can get marathon shafts, I got regular. It fit in my suv with shafts off for taking home. Love it. wish I had more time to drive. best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
031.JPG003.JPG

Here is my boy and my aerocrown. I have much to learn, but these are us in a lesson.

I think I'm must be the one single person that regrets buying a minicrown.

Cons

- I find it heavy

- The shafts a pain to adjust

- The seat too high (or my lower legs too short!)

- The back rest so low I think I could fly of the back if my horse lurched forward

- The ride stiff and hard, kills my back despite the independent suspension

- My gelding appears to be working harder with this cart than my other cart.

- Expensive, plus shipping on new is horrendous

- Also, I had my only accident to date in this cart. Let's just say I will never again ride in a cart with any openings to trap feet/legs. My

husband modified the cart to eliminate the openings between floor and frame. Amazingly no broken bones, it was bad.

Pros

- My horses seem to like turning in the minicrown compared to my other cart.

- I know I will be able to sell it, which is likely

My other cart

Northwest Mini Tack wooden cart

Cons

- Fits MY lower legs, long legged people may not have enough room.

Pros

- Soft ride, seat sits ons U-shaped suspension

- Great price for wooden cart

- They offer wooden wheels for cde or just nice show turnout, wooden option it spendy, I haven't done that so far

- If you are doing the level that allows pneumatic wheels, I have hit tree roots, bashed along rough ground, and generally beat my tires,

and they have held up. If I ever need wood wheels I would buy just the wheels and use the same cart.

- Lighter than minicrown

- I've had this one for years, bought it lightly used from the dealer, and it still looks great. I don't pamper it either.

- Basket has no place that my foot/leg can get caught, yay!

I'm sure I will get bashed for not loving the minicrown, but I guess it's all subjective. I was able to examine the minicrown when i bought it used, but if i had been able to drive it i never would have bought it. If there is any way to drive in a cart that interests you thats great.

If anyone has an interest in seeing a pic of my wood cart let me know.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

By coincidence I came on here today to get some opinions on my first cart buying and had most of them answered here, thank you! I would like to see pictures of your wood cart. I had a couple in mind, but had not considered some of the things mentioned here since I have never driven before. It is a big investment, and this forum sure helps us newbees. My gelding is going for training, and me lessons during his training next week, so it's time to look for a cart. I have many miles of fairly quiet paved roads here, but also wanted to be able to go on the greenbelt trails. Heck maybe even visit my daughter in Oregon and trail ride there. I like to think ahead
default_smile.png

Hmmm, having trouble trying to post a pic of my cart. Not sure if it's because I'm using an iPad. I did just drive in my cart this morning and the lower leg room is actually a little short for me. Puts my knees a little in the air if I don't stretch out to the slanty foot rest area. Still makes me feel more comfortable and secure. I know that's hard to envision without pic. I'm 5'4".

I am also in the process of ordering the 24" wheels which will work better for my 34" and 35" minis.

Here's a pic of my cart. I just refinished the varnish and touched up most of the black enamel. I like it a lot, but I am really considering selling it and getting a Foxlane. I'm just not into showing as much, and basically use it for parades. My guy prefers the the Jerald for just bumming around.

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

I have to agree with Sugar Baby. We had a Mini Crown and ended up selling it for most of the reasons she mentioned. The main reason was the weight of the cart. Our Minis are just around 34". We drive in the hills...which are designed for driving. Even the best pulling of our horses still noticed the weight. I did like the leg room in it, as most Mini carts lack that. Very well made cart and the re-sale value on them are good. We did not compete in CDE's and I realize this cart is perfect for that. If we ever do get into CDE's I may regret that we parted with it. We have an Frontier EZ entry we bought used. Which we mainly use for training cart. And we have a Silver Penney wooden cart that we love for trails drives. We have wooden wheels, but mainly use their stout wire wheels (very heavy duty). The ride is much better w/ the pneumatic wheels. My husband did make a few adjustments on it for increased leg room and lowered the height of cart. Anyway...just my opinion. I would like to try the Aero Crown someday as I hear it's much better.

I did also notice those Silver Penny easy entry carts. A fair price and nice options to really look fancy if you want. Shipping is also cheaper than the minicrown. I have never ridden in a cart with a leaf spring, but it has to be more comfy than those little springs under the seat on some easy entry carts. Not sure if it has adjustable balance. Also looks like it might have more foot room than my wooden cart. I would seriously consider buying one of those and selling my two carts if I were able to drive in one. Any reviews out there? Also couldn't find the weight on the Silver Penny easy entry.

Also, a question for the minicrown/aerocrown folks. I could swear I had once seen options for adding some pieces to the seat to make it more secure like the aerocrown. I see a list of seating options and prices on the Bellcrown USA site, but no pics. I emailed them but still haven't heard back.

I think you can get a wedge or something like that to keep you from sliding on the bench seat. the seat on the bellcrown from factory was too high for me and I didn't like the feel of the seat at all. I went to buy the bellcrown and came home with the aerocrown. Adjusting the shafts is a pain on both and I advise marking them with tape once you get them where you want them. The seat in the aerocrown is awesome comfortable. I suffer from back pain and have no issues with the aerocrown. I think there was a string that showed photos of seat modification for the bellcrown. If I find anything I'll post it.

Thanks sporthorsemom, I just added tape to the shafts yesterday! Please do post if you can find any seat modifications. If I can feel more secure and my husband makes a riser for the floor the cart may stay.

I have to say I don't like the Bellcrown carts - any of them- so you are not alone!! I know a lot of people adore them but I am not one- you sit far to high above the horse- which is the biggest single problem with European Mini carts, I find, so I am about to take an oxyacetylene cutter to my easy entry and drop the seat down three inches (that is the max. I can go and clear the wheels!!) I'll let you know what happens....

Where I bought my aerocrown and looked at bellcrown, (carriage machine, steven stoltzfus) they would custom lower any seat for no extra cost. You also had several shaft options depending on your horse measurements. The seat in the aerocrown was already lower by quite a bit and I could get my feet on the floor and I am very short. Steven had a custom lowered bellcrown in his shop that his kids used and it had a cart that pulled behind it for two extra passengers. The lowered bellcrown seat was quite nice in appearance however my main objection to the bellcrown was the lack of back support. I know you are not supposed to use the back for support, but I was afraid one quick jump from my guy and I would spill over the back. Night and day comparison of the bellcrown or the aerocrown in my honest opinion. I also liked the easy entry wooden carts made by pequea, but decided to stay away from wood after my experience with my boy and the meadowbrook I had. I could have gotten my aerocrown seat lowered and could have gotten smaller wheels too, but I like how my cart pulls and rolls and turns. My boy tends to be chubby, he is shortlegged and out of shape most of the time since I don't get enough driving time these days. He still pulls it like it isn't there.

I didn't read this whole thread but I saw that a Silver Penny Farm was mentioned. I bought one of their road carts with wooden wheels and I LOVE it. I use it for most showing - especially ADS like below - and for teaching 4-Hers to drive because there is room for a second person on the seat..

2012-08-26-cde-2.jpg

I agree about the Minicrown seat. I was all set to order a Minicrown with a higher seat back, and then I found an almost new one near by so I ended up buying that and saving $500. The second time I used it, Kandy spooked at a dog that flew out of the bushes- she turned sharply and bolted. I dropped a rein but didn't feel myself sliding around or feeling insecure in the seat, which was surprising! I still feel way more secure in my Hyperbike, but it was good to know that a big spook wasn't going to get me unseated in the Minicrown. I think I'd feel more secure if I added something like the wedge seat that's available for the Smart Cart with the side flanges that hold you in (I don't know if I am allowed to link to the picture on the Pacific website, but a google search should bring it up).

I also agree about the weight issue. Maybe it's just because I'm used to driving my 30 lb Hyperbike, but the Minicrown does seem heavy. Supposedly mine is about 100 lbs but gosh it feels a lot heavier when I'm trying to pull it into the trailer!! My horses are 36.5" and 39" so they don't struggle with the Minicrown unless we're in deep footing or going up hills, but I personally think it'd be too much for the marathon section. I actually traded in my cute but heavy wooden road cart to get the Minicrown, and I don't regret that move, but I wouldn't have used my wooden cart for the marathon either due to weight. Two things I really prefer about my Minicrown are the extra leg room (I'm only 5'5" but my road cart was a few inches to small for me) and the ability to take off the shafts and seat for transporting the cart. Being able to adjust the shaft width and length is nice, too.

In retrospect, I would've ordered the Aerocrown if I knew I wasn't going to ever do a tandem (because the Aero is slightly lighter and I prefer the seat), but I did want the option to carry a passenger for if/when I ever get my tandem going.

when I originally got my aerocrown I was worried I would regret the single seat because I have kids and imagined giving them rides in the cart, but then realized that my driving boy wouldn't be able to easily pull two in a cart anyway since my kids weren't tiny, so the aerocrown turned out to be the cart choice that worked for me.

I wanted a hyperbike in the worst way, but I am not limber and my boy didn't have a good enough whoa for me to stand even briefly between him and the seat to mount the hyperbike and my boy will occasionally put in a buck. That said, on the bucking issue, the lower shafts of a aerocrown are cool for pulling but for the occasional buck they can get a leg over the shaft. I have a bucking strap now, ,my boy bucked and got a leg over and spazed. The good thing is that the aerocrown is so easy and fast to exit I was able to get to his head very quickly and he calmed down once I reassured him he wasn't going to "die". Lots of things to consider when picking a cart. Probably the most difficult horse item I have ever purchased as far as decision making, and now with my scarce time and other reasons for not driving I admit feeling a bit guilty having that high dollar cart sitting there doing nothing, but ... when I was driving frequently, it was well worth the money IMHO. hope this helps.

I have a wooden road cart/meadowbrooke, it doesn't have the fenders or the rear entry. It weighs approximatly 100 lbs, My mare is 36" at the withers and stocky built and has NO trouble with me in the hills that we have here on the marathon. I do now have something else for that phase thats lighter and faster and she likes it more because she can go faster lol We compete at the prelim level. The pics here were taken at training level, but the best ones I have so you can see the cart. I have no idea who made it, but I have seen some that are almost identical that were said to be made by Pequea or something like that. It is heavy but its sturdy an has wonderful suspension. Photos courtesy of Hoofclix photography.

090524FE-DSC_3583-S.jpg

090524FE-IMG_1365-S.jpg

That cart Jetiki posted is very similar to the pequea cart (kind of like a stripped down meadowbrook) I was talking about in another post somewhere. I wanted one of these. Stripped down pequea carts are very reasonable in price. The first person that came to see my meadowbrook that I sold ended up going with a cart exactly like that one in the photo. She was very pleased with it and called me to tell me how reasonable the price was on the cart and how much she liked it. My meadowbrook I had also had a brake system which was extreem heavy and had fenders and rear entry and spares box and rein rail and whip holder. In other words, mine was the heavest it could possibly be. But freaking cute as the dickens and I still think about it.

Those pequea carts are awesome. I still have trouble with entry over the shaft and am rather uncoordinated in that respect but that cart pictured dips down right before the seat. very nice cart I can see why you like it. The only time I cussed my cart is when my boy threw in a minor buck and got a leg over the shaft. He didn't do any damage to my cart because I was able to exit quickly and get to his head. A big consideration is exit and entry when choosing a cart. I also have seen the wheels that look like bicycle wheels fold on a sharp turn, so for me it was only metal or wood. I love the look of wood, my favorite for looks, but really liked my metal wheels when I was cleaning my cart. Thanks for posting photos, love looking at folks driving and the different options.

Latest posts

Back