Where to get wooden cart for CDE?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GwynethYogi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering where the best place would be to get a wooden cart for CDE? I live in BC Canada so I would prefer to get a cart from Canada and not from the States. But if there is a super nice cart in the States then I might consider getting it. My budget is under $1000.

I quite like the look of Meadowbrook carts, but I don't know how much they cost or how suitable for CDE they are. My mini is very petite, he's 32 inches and very finely built. So I wouldn't want a cart that was very heavy.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I don't think wooden carts are the best idea for CDE's especially for A's. They are good for pleasure shows and maybe cones and dressage, but I don't know if they would hold up to the marathon and be light enough weight. I believe most wooden carts (road carts, meadowbrooks) that could hold up to a marathon course, weigh upwards of 120#. If you took the marathon extremely easy and didn't drive aggressively, you could possibly get away with a Graber with wooden wheels to begin with. However, watch doing any fast quick turns as I destroyed one just practicing for marathon. Marathon courses can have a tendency to be bumpy and have a water hazards which is a bit tough on wheels and suspension. Most breed show carts (Graber/Jerald type) which are lighter weight are designed for nice flat manicured arenas not cross country. If you have any thought of moving up to Prelim and start cantering in cones or hazards you might want to try and stretch you budget a bit to get a used metal cart designed for CDE's.

I had the most adorable meadowbrook cart in the world, all tricked out and fenders and spares box and wooden wheels and step through seat. Loved the look. It was the cutest darn thing... but soooooooooo heavy. It sunk in the ground, was hard to pull, and weighed too much for cross country. My boy is 32-33 inches and the meadowbrook really made him sweat. I would go for something light weight, suitable for CDE, with those nice wheels designed not to sink in under mud or not so perfect ground conditions. You will get lots of suggestions for carts from this forum... just putting in my 2 cents on the meadowbrook since I had first hand experience on how nice it looked, but how bad it performed for hills and how the wheels sunk in . Also, to get in and out of quickly, it was horrible even with the split seat. I am not limber, I didn't feel good going all the way around to the back of the cart and being all the way out to the buckle on my reins and trying to lift the seat and get my butt down before my guy moved off and I was no where near limber enough to get in any other way and the big wheels were impossible for me to get around for any other entry than the rear. hard to explain, hope you can picture.

I saved for a bellcrown aerocrown. Nice design, easy to pull, comfortable but a totally crazy pricetag. take your time.. cart shopping can be so frustrating.

I do have a metal easy entry cart so I could use that for marathon and use the wooden cart for dressage and cones.

Hmm, now maybe I won't get a meadowbrook because it sounds like it would be too heavy for my guy.

Does anyone else have any more suggestions on where/ what kind of cart to get?

If you are going to use an easy entry cart, it would be advisable to get steel spoked wheels for it. The bike spokes on the regular wheels that they usually come with, will bend and can break when hitting a bump, crevice, creek, etc at a good trot.

I have a Meadowbrook and it weighs a TON! I used it for a Turnout class and got second, but it was pretty heavy for the CC course. And it's hard to get into, mine doesn't have the split seat. I also use it for parades, since they are on asphalt and easier to pull my lard-butt.

I'm really considering selling it and buying a Foxlane....

IMG_4774.jpg

I think it would be a good cart to get you started and see how you and your pony like it. You might want to add a sided wedge seat to keep you in place on the bench seat and maybe a toe bar to help you hold on if you decide to move up the levels. The only other thing you run into on these style of carts is the straight shafts make it harder to do tight turns especially on the marathon, but you won't have that to worry about until you get to prelim level which is when you are timed in the hazards. On most of the marathon style carts, the shaft ends are closed or turned and they stop at the saddle, that way the pony can really use their shoulders and bend in the turns. I don't think at the price of that cart being on sale that you could do wrong.

Where is the best place to get a sided wedge seat and a toe bar? Do they come in different styles?

Thanks!
default_smile.png

I don't know how much my meadowbrook weighed. I sold it and put the money toward my aerocrown. I could not begin to lift it up myself. It was well balanced so easy for myboy to pull on flat and hard surfaces. Any rain or mud or hills and my boy got winded and my instructor would keep our training sessions short. A stripped down meadowbrook with out all the trimmings would not be as heavy..I chose to sell mine rather than strip it down to make my instructor happy. Aerocrown bellcrowns and foxlane carts and such are easy entry but without the easy exit worries. They are balanced and sturdy and well worth the money in design and safety.

I don't know how much my meadowbrook weighed. I sold it and put the money toward my aerocrown. I could not begin to lift it up myself. It was well balanced so easy for myboy to pull on flat and hard surfaces. Any rain or mud or hills and my boy got winded and my instructor would keep our training sessions short. A stripped down meadowbrook with out all the trimmings would not be as heavy..I chose to sell mine rather than strip it down to make my instructor happy. Aerocrown bellcrowns and foxlane carts and such are easy entry but without the easy exit worries. They are balanced and sturdy and well worth the money in design and safety.

Like the others said, not sure wood is what you are after. I have w meadowbrook style cart similar to the pic one of the other members posted. It is great for road driving and flat, dry ground but the wheels are fairly narrow and 'bite' into sandy or muddy ground rather than floating along on top. My guys have never had trouble pulling it, but I haven't done any marathons with obstacles.

I would also cringe in a major way at my gorgeous wooden vehicle getting splashed through water regularly or scratched up ;)

I'm not sure how much mine weighs. I can barely pick it up to move it. It is super well balanced, though; the shafts float in my open tugs.

That is very true Jules. I suppose I probably would have a heart attack going through water with a wooden cart too. ; )

I think I have decided to get both a metal cart and a wooden one. I'd use the metal one for practicing and for the cross country/ marathon part of CDEs, and the wooden one for dressage and cones as well as local AMHA mini shows.

Where/ what kind of metal cart should I get? I'd want one with good suspension, my currant metal cart has terrible suspension and I nearly died on my last CDE. ; )

Thanks!

http://www.ccfdriving.com/ We bought the wooden EZ entry cart and have both wooden wheels and their heavy duty spoked wire wheels. This is a great cart. It's very lightweight and well balanced. Pam is wonderful to deal with too. We do a lot of trail driving in this cart and it's very sturdy. Another option is to put steel wheels on your cart you have now. Kingston Saddlery has reasonable steel wheels. Have never tried them, but hear good things on the wheels. However have heard the Kingston Carts are pretty cheaply made.....but have never seen one in person. Just my opinion.

With the cart in your link, be sure to ask if the listed weight is with the wooden wheels. I've heard too many stories of vendors giving the without without the wheels or even the shafts! I would be cautious of a heavy cart in cones as well as marathon, and remember, you must use the same cart in dressage and cones.

For the cost of a wooden cart AND a metal cart plus shipping, you could get a Fox Lane cart and have a dressage-beautiful, cones-flexible and marathon-tough cart all in one.

However, if you do decide to get a metal cart for marathon, be sure to consider the HyperBike -- it is unbelievably wonderful.

Susanne, I thought of that about the weight being listed might be the weight with the steel wheels on. But the weight listed is the weight with the wooden wheels on.

Unfortunately the Fox Lane carts would be too heavy for my guy, too bad as they are beautiful. I don' really like the look of the HyperBike, but thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

What size is you miniature? My 34 in out of shape mare hauls me all over the place with my Foxlane cart.

Latest posts

Back