where to get a cheap show halter ..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows where you can get a cheap show halter to train in. Nothing fancy, just something to use to get them use to the feel of it and the chain. Coco is already use to it, but that halter was lost after we moved our stuff from the barn to the garage.

Something under $30 or $40.

Also, do you think that (just for training) i could find a cheap training show halter that would fit a 32' mini as well as a 40' shetland. Do you think i could find one that would adjust enouph or would i have to buy two training halters?

..nothing fancy

Leeana

l havent heard of a training show halter before so cant help you. for mine l train in a regular everyday halter if l want a chain on for whatever reason l have various sizes of chock chains like you use on the dogs l put through the rings under the chin and snap to the lead. they learn fairly fast to adjust to a show halter and l usually put one on them that theyll use twice after l clipped before a show to make sure its a good fit and suits them.

Try looking through the sales board on here. There were some halters listed. If you don't know how to measure to fit a halter, I think, www.minitack has a good explanation. As for one halter to fit both, good luck. Maybe if you can find a way to lengthen the top strap you might get by with one. The halter I use for my 29" barely will go big enough for my 35".

We just ordered a QH style showmanship halter and a 'prince' halter (minitack.com) and i dont want to use them in training or get them dirty. I have a tendancy to loose things very quickly and i dont want to risk it with them if they freak over something. I have a feeling Joey wont take that chain under his chin well at all, we had a stud chain on his regular halter when we first got him and he didnt take that to well ..and it wasnt tight at all. The sound just bothered him or something ..crazy horse
wub.gif

I havent seen a cable halter under $75 though ..i cant find any cheap ones.

Leeana

Last edited by a moderator:
Try ebay! Or the sale board here like was mentioned.

I just use the barn halter and a couple times before their first show I will put a show halter on them just so they get used to either the bump bar or the feel of a chain and we can deal with any issues at home rather than in the ring. You can do this with the ones you have, just take them out for one day and try them on then put them back.

Someone, I think Reindance Tack (in fact, I'm sure it was them) used to sell these biothane show halters. They were maybe $20 and came with a chain and a lead. They're not really fancy at all but I think they'd be PERFECT for what you want with training. They would be safe and strong, and "feel" like the real thing to the horse.

you are smart to practice in a cheaper show halter. i made the huge mistake of only practicing in barn halters then when we did our first show my filly freaked out when i put the show halter on her. lesson learned!

You can use a chin strap instead of a chain, if you wish, and the horse prefers it. You can get them, anywhere you buy the halters.

Thanks Guys

I'll have to check out ebay

...I like those biothane halters though, i'll have to check ebay before ordering anything.

biggrin.gif

Leeana

Keep in mind that the one I linked to up above costs $17.50. I haven't seen anything on ebay at that price -- and while it is not fancy, this one is better than some I've seen new at $75 - $100.

I agree with kaykay that it's good to practice with the show halter -- aside from getting them used to it ahead of time, it becomes a cue for them to show off. For our guys, show halter means strut your stuff -- they light up as soon as their show halter is buckled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that you want the halter to be strong and sturdy even if it is "just" for practice. In my opinion (that's the one I am the most familiar with), one of the last things you want a horse to discover is that tack can be broken. They don't ever forget what they learn.

Thanks Jill, i'll keep that in mind.

I think im going to go with the Reindance Tack one, it looks nice enouph for practice and to show off a bit with when we have company.

Leeana

Not to sound like I'm promoting this particular company or the halter, but I use it with Mingus...all 38 inches, and even when he's been at his worst, this halter has not broken...it is very strong.

Not that I think anyone should buy this particular halter, but I hate to see it assumed that it is cheap or weak just because of the low price.

susanne said:
Not to sound like I'm promoting this particular company or the halter, but I use it with Mingus...all 38 inches, and even when he's been at his worst, this halter has not broken...it is very strong.
Not that I think anyone should buy this particular halter, but I hate to see it assumed that it is cheap or weak just because of the low price.

534430[/snapback]

Susanne,

I bought the same halter. It's so very nice and it looks pretty good too. I used it when I took my stallions registration papers pictures, when I transferred him to my name; they looked so good.

I plan to buy one of the western style halters from the same place, as soon as I have the extra funds (in a week or two).

susanne thats the one I have too. I use it to work with my fiesty youngun, Dusty he just turned 2. I may even dress it up with some silver and show in it at the early fun shows this year.

Just for the record, the picture I had in mind when mentioning to be sure the halter is strong was not the kind Susanne recommends. That looks fine to me. What I had in mind were some of the inexpensive handmade beaded ones... Some may be great, but others not and probably depends on who makes them.

heck my stallion rocket got a little excited at his first show and to the complete amazement of my friend justin SNAPPED a rolled leather lead in 2 seconds right before he was going in the ring. We couldnt believe it! all 28.50 inches of him lol

Latest posts

Back