Where to Find a Mini-Sized Liverpool Driving Bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueEyedPony

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to find a 4" arch mouth or low port liverpool driving bit? After much searching I recently purchased a lovely mullen mouth 4" liverpool for one of my geldings, and he went fantastic in it...when he wasn't putting his tongue over top of it.
default_wacko.png
: I'm hoping if I can find one that has an arch mouth or a low port I'll have the same lovely results minus the tongue over top.
default_yes.gif
: However, as difficult as it was to find a mullen mouth liverpool in 4", it is proving 10x more difficult to find either an arch mouth or a low port in that size! Does anyone have any ideas for where I can find one? I've been checking e-bay regularly with no luck, and none of the mini tack shops I've searched on the internet carry them. Suggestions???

Thanks for the quick replies! Unfortunately, all of the links posted either have the bit I need in the wrong size (most start at 4 1/2"), or have the right size but not the right type of bit (only have mullen mouth, only have half cheeks, etc). Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

I should probably also add that the mouthpiece needs to be smooth, not fishbacked or slow twist.

I would definitely look at harness shops before mini tack stores as you are looking for a carriage driving bit.

Carriage Driving Essentials says if they don't have it, they'll get it. Carriage Driving Essentials- Bits

Janie at Chimacum Tack is good for specialty items- www.horsedriver.com

And Sandee at Iowa Valley Carriage has gotten in a bunch of specialty mini bits recently that sound good and are reasonably priced. www.iowavalleycarriage.com

So has Marjean of Camptown Harness. Email any of them and I bet they can get you one! Good luck.

Leia

I always ended up getting customs made for my minis and small mouthed shetlands (bits for mare bridles, etc). try contacting Cash Lovell... pricey but wonderfully made and last forever. Im not sure of the contact info anymore, but Im sure its available online.

Showtime Tack is another good resource.... they have everything for driving from Minis to HUGE draft stuff!! We saw a 7" bit they had sold and the horse owner hoped it would be big enough!!!! :new_shocked:

[SIZE=12pt]Just a heads up...I THINK Liverpool bits are illegal for showing in AMHR (at least). You might check before spending the $ on a bit you can't use for shows.[/SIZE]

Have you tried looking at all of the Myler bits available? You can "build" the bit you want there http://www.mylerbitsusa.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back