Where do you draw blood???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy G

Reaction score
HI :saludando:

I had read somewhere "maybe here?," that blood can be drawn from the front of the neck, for the pregnancy test? If so, could someone post that information again??? Thanks
default_yes.gif
:

You would draw from the jugular. I highly recommend that you have your vet or an experienced friend show you were to draw. It is possible to hit the artery that lies behind the jugular (usually doesn't cause any problems but can be scary!).

Ditto the last 2 posts. Minis are tricky to hit the jugular on even for a lot of vets. There is no need to frustrate yourself or torture your horse. You need a vet to submit the test to the lab anyway.

Ditto the last 2 posts. Minis are tricky to hit the jugular on even for a lot of vets. There is no need to frustrate yourself or torture your horse. You need a vet to submit the test to the lab anyway.
I agree, EXCEPT that I think Nancy is talking about the FoalProof test which is done at home and not sent to a lab. My vet charges $8 for drawing blood. The big problem is I have to load up and travel 25 miles one way to do it.

That is why I will not use the FoalProof test. Will NOT draw blood myself! I have, and will continue to use Pregnamare, where all I need to do is get enough blood from a lancet "prick" to saturate a Q-tip.
default_yes.gif
:

Hi, we use the Foal Proof test. We do not have a problem drawing blood or should I say my daughter doesn`t have a problem. I would not try it. :no: Holly is a nurse and also a vet tech & knows how/where to draw the blood. I was just curious to know about drawing the blood other than the norm!! I had read somehwhere that blood can be drawn from the front of the neck. I thought that odd, that`s why I asked. Thanks everyone.

Well...gosh Nancy....the front of the neck is where my vet has always drawn blood for Coggins tests, or any other test that require blood samples. I don't think that is an "unusual" place at all. Where does your daughter draw it from?????
default_unsure.png
:

That's my question too... if she's a tech, and NOT drawing it from the jugular, where is she getting it?! There ARE alternative places to draw blood, but only when its a major problem to get it from the jugular. That really concerns me... please be careful and have an EQUINE tech do that for you.

My daughter does know where to draw the blood on many animals and has done so at the vet clinic where she now works. She is also a nurse but prefers to work with animals. The way it was described in the article I read, made it sound like it was high up on the front of the neck. Maybe I read it wrong but please don`t worry for my horses. I actually don`t watch when my vet or daughter draw blood so I guess I just don`t know what I am talking about. :no: I`ll try to watch the next time and see what actually goes on.
default_wacko.png
: Sorry for this crazy post.
default_wink.png
: When I talk to my daughter about it she will say I am crazy :lol: Thanks

PS We do use the pregnamare tests as well as the FoalProof. I have had really great results with both. I can do the Pregnamare tests myself but prefer my daughter does that one too.

Latest posts

Back