Where can I get decorative feathers???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGGler_j0e

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some cheap decorative feathers for tying in a horse's mane or tail? The cheapest that I've seen is 2 feathers for $2 (Basically 1 for $1.) at a fabric/craft store. And they only have one kind of feather. I've looked all over, and can't find feathers anywhere else!! :new_multi: It's not easy finding them in the yard -- and I would like to get sterilized ones if possible. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can buy feathers at a lower cost, and maybe with more variety?
default_unsure.png
:

Any help would be great! (Sorry, there are no turkey farms in our area.)
default_sad.png

I could send some peacock feathers, but they are pretty long so I don't know if you'd be interested in them for a horses mane. They are from real peacocks though that run loose in the neighborhood where my friend keeps her minis. If you'd be interested PM me and I'll get some.

Find a fly-tying store or an inexpensive craft store.

Best of luck!

Liz

I picked up some at the dollar store. My Mom makes feather flowers, she's going to make me some for my CDE hat.

I bough some at the crafts dept in Walmart. I got a whole bag of about 15 feathers all colors .

They were about 8 inches long . Cost was about $1.50. Good luck. mary f

There is an on-line craft store based in CA I just found that has alot of really KOOL crafting stuff! www.kitkraft.biz Ebay is also a good idea! Linda McQ

I can't seem to find anything on eBay.
default_sad.png
:no:
default_sad.png
I have seen the feathers at WalMart, but they just don't look natural with the loud colors. (I think their painted or something. It makes them look like toys - LoL!)
default_wacko.png
: www.kitkraft.biz didn't really have what I was looking for either.
default_unsure.png
: There are no real craft stores around where I live, so I suppose I'd have to go a longer distance for that. I'll keep my eyes open for something. Thanks for your comments.

And thanks for your offer, wade3504, but peacock feathers weren't quite what I was looking for.

Are you looking for things like Turkey feathers or the like? Something that looks maybe like a natural Eagle feather (of course those are a no-no to have the Eagle feathers)?

Would help if we knew what type of feather you were looking for. I have had pretty good luck w/fly-tying stores as many of them sell the feathers w/no dyes as well as with.

That and talk to a breeder of birds...they may be able to help you!

Liz

Yes, something close to an eagle feather.
default_yes.gif
: Or at least the same shape, which I take it is about the same as a regular bird feather. (These are wing feathers by the way.) I'll take anything between 4 and 10 inches, with original coloring, or at the most - subtle added coloring. (Not fire engine red or plastic toy green - LoL! :new_shocked:
default_wacko.png
: ) It should give that Native American feel. If you've read Horse, Follow Closely by GaWaNi Pony Boy, you can get an idea of the kind of feather that I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm making more sense now!
default_smile.png
default_unsure.png
:

I have that book! its wonderful. i think my little girl looks very indian, so i am always looking for feathers. lucky for me they're everywhere here. i have found some striped ones, polka dot ones, multicolored ones

the list goes on... i know what you are looking for. hmmm... any chickens in your area? :lol:

What I've usually seen for these types of feathers is a turkey feather or some such.

When I was making craft items that used feathers, I often had to look for the right one while I was out walking in the wild or...?

One source that was great for me was a big, old barn where I boarded my Arabian. I got Barn Owl feathers which are not quite what you are describing, but very pretty.

See if you can talk to someone that has turkeys (white ones work out best, you can paint them w/the design you need)?

I think the Michael's stores have them. I MAY have some and if I do, I'd mail them to you if I find them.
default_smile.png

Liz

Thanks for your offer!
default_smile.png
:aktion033: If you do want to send me some, just PM me and I can give you my address. I think turkey feathers are the closest to what I'm looking for, since I was comparing different feather pictures on the internet. (Feathers are very hard to find where I live. I only have one real bird feather, and it's the first that I've seen in about 2 or 3 years! :new_shocked: :eek: )

Actually, do you know if there is a certan kind of paint that would be used to paint feathers? Or would any basic paint work?

Thanks for the advice! :bgrin

:stupid: :stupid:

Latest posts

Back