Beginning Training/Groundwork - where to start?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone - We have 2 mares, about 7 years old that are very sweet. We would like to begin working with them doing groundwork, training, etc. The end goal would be to saddle them and let my younger children ride them while we walk alongside. My 13-year-old is very excited about working with the mini's to train them, but we don't know where to start.

We can put halters, fly masks, etc. on them and lead them around (for the most part, they get distracted with grass or will just stop).

Does anyone have any good resources, videos, etc. that could get him started?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest looking on line at 'natural horsemanship' programs. There are a lot of different people doing this as on line courses that are very easy to understand, let you work through at your speed and have some free trials. You need to find one that works for you, but be careful, this is a great training method but it can be abusive if done wrong and there are some teaching it that way. If it's fast and rough walk away. Even your smaller kids can learn the basics as they are around the horses, it's great! You could also look at something like 'connection training' which is an all positive reinforcement method. Whatever you end up with should be building a positive relationship with the horses not just how to make them do for you.

Latest posts

Back