Where can I get a TINY, TINY halter for my filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
Does anybody out there know where I can find a TINY

nylon halter?

Anybody make them???

Thanks
default_smile.png
)

Sandy

I use sheep or goat halters that are nylon and adjustable until they grow into the x small. Mine came with a leash like lead rope. I use it just until they grow into the other since it doesn't have the center strap. I use this to break them all to lead. I think mine cost about 8 dollars at bomgaars or country general.

722Duce.jpg

trip3.jpg

WalterH41506.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought mine from Chimacum Tack Shack.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

Any halters we have, even the small adjustable foal halters, are too large for the foals until they are a few months old. That's not a problem, as I make a harness which I think, work much better, and are far safer.

I do not like having my foals pulled and tugged by those delicate little necks and faces, so I make these harnesses, which work like a charm. Our foals go easily from the harness to the halter, when they are larger, and I haven't had one problem. (YET!)
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I make the chest and girth strap wider, so that it equalizes the pressure if they pull, and have a small "carry handle" on the top, with the lead ring, so that I can actually lift them up a bit, if they get too silly.
default_yes.gif
: it's hard to run away when your feet don't have any traction. :lol:

This picture gives you an idea...tho' it's one you will have to squint at.

CopyofEasterMay06075.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my extra smalls to a tack maker and he just put more holes in the strap over the pole. I tried it myself and couldn't find the holes.

Hi. I know Marty sells a lot of different sized halters for minis, very reasonable priced and very nice to work with.

Brave Little Prancers.com

I'm in the same boat! We were given a tiny filly that has a while to go before being weaned, but I'd like to get her leading. However, even my halter that fits all of the other foals that I've had after a few weeks, is still too big on this filly.

As for making holes in nylon, a small solder iron works great--it burns the holes through, and then you don't have to worry about them coming apart. We just pick up the really cheap ones, but I think we are only on our second one and we've had horses for 16 years.

I get all of mine at Deadwood Saddlery. Go to http://www.deadwoodsaddlery.com and scroll down till you see the section on miniature horses, on the right side of the page. They carry a size called "teeny weeny" and those are wonderful halters! The nylon is also thinner, making them very supple, plus the straps aren't wide at all, so it's lightweight on the horse, and they are adjustable under the chin and on the sides. I had one on a foal last year and by making it bigger she wore it until after she was weaned. Her prices are cheaper than any I've found elsewher for miniature tack and supplies, and her shipping rates are low.

:aktion033: sue_c :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: I love that harness what a great idea!! I have laways waited until my foals at least 2 month to halter them, just do the arms around them thing to move them if needed.

Where did you get them?

I gotcha covered. Merry Beth is sending you one for her niece.
default_wub.png
:

Thanks, littlearab, I make the harnesses myself. I now use a wider, coloured, nylon, but the design is the same.

Thanks for all the info! I love the harness.

Marty, You are so sweet. I need to tell Little Anna

about her Aunt Merry Beth.

I put the halter on them while i'm at the barn.

Just let them wear it and get used to it and if they want,

we walk around a little. No pressure.

Here is Little Anna in her x-small halter.. hehehe

The next pic is the same halter on my 1 month old colt..

newhalterlittleanna.jpg

Colt1month.jpg

We have a sheep halter that we use on little foals. I would like to find mini horse halters to fit the tiny foals but of the few that we bought for that purpose they were all way to big. Even after asking if they were for tiny newborns they were still just about right for them at 3-4 months.

I tried something like Sue C. I used a quarter horse halter and slipped the nose over the neck and then fastened the neck piece around the belly, instant harness ;)

When I was at the feed store the other day and looking at the used tack, I found a tiny halter. It is actually a llama halter but I'm going to try it out for my foal whenever my mare decides to let him/her out. It even has some sort of fleece lining the nose part. I think it is for a small llama even but I'm not sure since they have small heads anyhow.

I have gotten halter for weanling mini's from Star Lake Tack. They also carry an economy halter that comes in baby on up.

Robin

Star Lake Tack & Sugar Rock both have the weanling size. Sucklings depending on the mini will fit in those as well. Our really tiny minis (20-21" at month) are usually swimming in most halters though.

We burn extra holes in the weanling size and they work.

Latest posts

Back