When to start mare and foal grain?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
I was wanting to see what others do about graining the broodmares. I have a lot of advise so far and read different things as well. My vet says don't grain until the last 30 day and then during the beggining of lactation. I have heard grain them the whole pregnancy. I have herd grain them in the last 1/3 only. I have heard LMF grain. etc...etc...I would like to hear from you guys as I love this site and most of the advise I get is from people who don't have the mini's, they have bigguns :lol: Thanks for your input.

ALL my minis get grain (actually a balance ration pelleted feed) year round. The broodmares get their amounts "up'd" as they enter their last trimester of pregnancy. Then up'd again after foaling. The foals eat right along with Mom from day one!
default_yes.gif
:

I had an overweight mare that was pregnant and the vets told me not to give anything extra for the pregnancy til the 8th month. Just provide good quality grass hay, and the "mineral only-12-12 block from purina", and keep salt seperatly provided.

My mares get fed from November up to the birth of their foals. After that they get a bit of feed when they come up with the foals to be fed and that tails off as the foal comes in on their own.

I have very good grass all year (Well, this year, all year!!)

Latest posts

Back