When to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann knight

Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on when to geld our colts ? I feel those hormones play an important part in developing but am not sure when the time is best . Any suggestions are appreciated .....thanks ...Ann

I see you are from Ontario and a few hours north of us.

We have two that we are planning to geld in the spring.

We were told that gelding them now wasn't a great idea because it's best that they are able to get good exercise after the procedure, rather than standing in stalls with little opportunity to move much.

The weather isn't great for gertting ours out for much time, especially if bad weather sets in.

I think we'll be doing the procedure in April.

When to geld??... when they bite you in the butt...
default_wacko.png
Just kidding. I did my boys in the fall, all three, had no problems with flies or exercise. I found the minis move around just fine for exercise, kind of like exercising a small dog in an apartment. My vet says the minis heal better and faster with less swelling than the full sized horses she gelds. I didn't have to lunge any of my boys either... good luck
default_saludando.gif

I think she's asking at what age she should geld, not the time of year. I know with full-sized horses the common time is 9-12 months of age. At large breeding farms they may wait until 3 years of age to see if a colt may be breeding quality.

Hi Ann,

You have to make sure that both testicles have dropped and than they say do it before fly season.

I only have 1 done and the rest are not gelded yet and Zip is going to be 2 this year.

Welcome to the forum and the mini world.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking age but time of year is good too
default_rolleyes.gif
!

My biggest concern was actually doing too young as I feel that they need the hormones for developement . I know with dogs when spayed or nuetered early the dog will be leggier and there are health concerns such as spay incontinence , crucuite( sp) problems . Your right Genie I am in Ontario and my Mom lives not far from Seaforth, small world !

Thanks Cathy for the tip on "dropping " that would make it easy to wait
default_rolleyes.gif
!

This is a great way to learn ...thanks ...Ann

My colt has a gelding date of Feb 16th. He'll be 9 months. I'm off work that week so it's good timing that way. Unless there's a major storm, I'll get him exercise outside. We have a big barn, so I'll make sure it happens even if it's inside. He's my only boy, so I wanted it down asap so he doesn't have to be pastured alone.

We gelded an 8 year old and 2 weaner boys early this past fall. They all did real good no problems. But l think next time l wouldn't do weaners again l'd wait till they were at least yearlings l'm starting to worry they might be to girly..

I should have gelded mine just before he bred my mares
default_new_shocked.gif
. Oh but spring or fall would be good too.

It has been proven scientifically that the earlier you geld, the bigger the horse. We gelded a colt at 7 months who wasy by a14.2 h stallion and out of a 15.1 hand mare. When we sold the horse at age 5, he measured over 16 hands. Just thought I'd pitch that out there.

It has been proven scientifically that the earlier you geld, the bigger the horse. We gelded a colt at 7 months who wasy by a14.2 h stallion and out of a 15.1 hand mare. When we sold the horse at age 5, he measured over 16 hands. Just thought I'd pitch that out there.
I heard that one too.... I found the following clip in a truth or false article.... the part in bold was the myth and the rest is the answer they gave...

. As a rule, stallions are taller than geldings.

Busted! Stallions may appear larger than life, because of their bluster and uppity nature. But the truth is, testosterone-the hormone that makes them act like stallions-also causes the growth plates in their cannon bones and other long bones to close earlier than they would in a gelding. Once these plates close, they seal, halting further growth. Therefore, colts gelded before puberty (in most cases, before they're yearlings) will grow about 1/2-inch taller than if they were left intact.

My biggest concern was actually doing too young as I feel that they need the hormones for developement .
For the past 20+ years, we haved gelded many of our colts at a young age - the youngest was 4 weeks. Most of the colts are 2 to 3 months of age when we geld and of course are still nursing on their dams. The recovery for our colts has been very quick when they were gelded young - less than a week. Several of our young geldings are exhibited at the Nationals as weanlings each year including last year.

In addition, we have followed the careers of these young geldings as they age and continue to show - and we have yet to determine any difference between a colt gelded at 2 months or at 12 months as it relates to development or impact on their performance.

This has been our personal experience. Hope it is of help.

We usually geld ours the spring of their yearling year. We take them to the vet and he checks to make sure the inguinal canal is completely closed and follow his advice.

I geld on the mare at three months, sometimes earlier. I see no point in surplus hormones, and my geldings hold their own with the young colts, no problems. It is so nice to just not have the problems of hormonal driven behaviour ever start. They just grow up, they never have any expectations, as it were!!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ShortHorseMom- you are right !! You geld them when you cannot tolerate them anymore. I asked the same thing of a trainer about my Junior, and he said leave him a stallion until you can't stand him anylonger. And like I say- a great stallion, makes a SUPER gelding !!!!! Note- I only show, I do not breed.

And remember, the younger you geld, the longer the growth plate stays open and the taller they get.

Latest posts

Back