When nothing is perfect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Anyone here have the perfect life?

It would not be me.

My best friend of 50 years does.

She is never dirty. Gets her nails done and has a store bought hair-do. She's the perfect 10. She wears make up every day too. She's beautiful. Even without the makeup.

Even her junky clothes" look like my dress up clothes do. She even wears panty hose every day to work. Her boots have high heels!!!!!!!

Lives in a huge beautiful home on an acre in a ritzy suberb in Connecticut. Professionally landscaped.

Her home is so clean and perfect that you can eat off the floor. She's got marble and a chandellier in her formal dining room. Huh? What's that? Don't know how she does it. And where is her piles of dirty laundry? She just added on a 2000 square foot addition to the already humongous house. I call it the "West Wing." The furniture never looks like anyone sat in it. And she does have two pets in the house too. And they are perfect and clean. Mine have fleas and a skin condition.

She cooks up a storm every night. Her appliances all match and work. She's even got that ice cube maker thing on her refridgerator. I think she's a Martha Stewart clone.

She said she fell out of love with the Beach Boys since Brian went stupid. I remain a loyal follower.

She married her childhood sweetheart. He's the perfect husband and father too.

She has 4 perfect kids that all are doing wonderful in college. Her kids are so nice. Just like she and her husband is. She's worked the same high class job all her life. Been promoted a million times and wears suits. And her family is always so upbeat and happy.

They all have vehicles of this century.

They paid off their mortgage, have a nest egg, and a boat.

They have a time share in Florida plus they go on vacations and cruises, take in Broadway plays and get to shop in New York City.

Then there's me and my dysfunctional family.

I've never had my nails done unless I did them.

I have makeup though from Walmart. Three things: blush, green eye shadow, and eyeliner. I don't ever wear it because I can't find it. I think they boys used it for Halloween and didn't put it back.

No store bought hair-do here. It just kinda hangs straight and never seen a blow dryer or curling iron. I tried a curling iron ONCE. Burnt my forehead and said this is stupid. Threw it out.

I have barn sweats and then there's my "go to town dress up sweats."

I know the difference because my "go to town dress up sweats" don't have those elastics in the ankles.

There is no panty hose owned by me. But I have those grey socks from Walmart's men's department that come 6 in a package for $5.96. Now beat that deal.

My entire house is less than 1000 square feet. Every room needs to be remodeled before it caves in. Jerry is always under the house jacking it up to get the floors even. One time he over did it and it cause a big buldge in the living room wall. So I moved the china cabinet in front of it so you can't tell.

Everyone tracks in mud around here. My floors are always dirty and get mopped every single day. It doesn't help much. We go in and out a lot. I paint my living room every year. Makes me feel that it's cleaner somehow. I dust and scrub constantly. By the time I'm done with one room, the others already got messed up behind me. I have atleast 4 to 6 baskets of laundry in the living room to fold every night. There is always atleast 3 more baskets to wash in the laundry room and I have dishpan hands from all the dirty dishes every day piled up all over the counter. I cook dinner every night. I have a lot of help from Banquet Dinners too. I have to wash dishes with Brillo. My windows leak. My dogs broke the back door down again too. Need another one of those. My refridgerator talks in it's sleep and it's been leaking something ugly out the bottom of it. Jerry has to look at that sometime. My washing machine walks around. I've seen it do the watusi a couple of times. It's very talented. Sometimes it screams too. Like Michael Jackson on a bad day. It also eats socks. I always put in pairs of socks, but always get out an odd number.

My living room couch is 20 years old. It's very lumpy but last year I bought some slip covers for it. Jerry and I have our own reclyners. They are about 10 years old. Our butts have worn an imprint in the seats where they are kinda carved out just to fit our butt size. They have slip covers too. All my other furniture has scratches too.

My kids aren't perfect either. I was hopeing one would be a doctor and the other a lawyer. My dream. Not theirs. They are so funny and silly and don't do anything illegal but they still are always in trouble. One is going steady with three girls and is about to get busted and the other one brings me home D's on his report card all the time. There went college. He prefers to build engines and be a mechanic for his life long goal. He loves grease. They tell dirty jokes and know "whoop yer butt" if you mess with them too. Their idols are Sponge Bob and Jimmy Neutron. And they are how old??????

Don't know how many more years of mortgage we've got left. But it's there.

No nest egg here.

Nothing is perfect here.

Don't know why, but we're still basically happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not me. Oh and I can beat you on the couch- mine was bought after the second world war and is still going strong!! It's got new covers, that's about it, really. House is a mess, I do not eat as well as either the horses or the dogs, nor as regularly!!!

My idea of "fancy" would be clean. My idea of "new" would be something I had just got from the thrift store- ie new to me!!

Marty- are you happy??

Most of the time, I think you must be, you have two lovely kids, who are going to be some girls dream, in the not too distant future.

You have a husband who adores you- he must do to have built you that barn

You and your friend just have different priorities, thats all.

And much as I have no wish to threaten her happiness, it will not be you who comes home one day and finds her husband has run off with the pool boy!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I am somewhere in the middle of that. Better Homes and Gardens won't be knocking on my door unless they are asking directions, but I am not exactly home makeover material either.

But, perfect is in the eyes of the beholder. My life is pretty perfect to me.
default_yes.gif
:

There is an old saying- "the happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything."

All the money in the world can't buy happiness- so you just saved a bundle!!!!

Marty, I think you are one of the greatest people I have ever "met". I love reading your posts all the time because you give me such a laugh. Your love for your family and your animals has always inspired me. You make a lot of people happy and that is priceless.

Just remember, if life was perfect- it would be sooooo boring. :bgrin

Well, mine certainly isn't perfect, but working in 2006 to make it better than it's ever been!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: We've made some improvements over the last year.

I guess I feel fortunate that all my friends are in the same boat as me. No better, no worse.

We do not own a couch we bought. We have 2. One a friend gave me when they got a newer one passed down to them. One I found free on the street at 2 a.m. :bgrin while doing my paper route a few years ago. Our only chair in the living room came from Goodwill for $10 and it's at least 35 years old. :new_shocked:

We have had old cars for YEARS. Constantly breaking down last year, we bought TWO cars from 2002. One minivan for me and a Jeep Liberty for John. That's the first time EVER we've owend TWO newer vehicles at the same time.

We redecorated (ok, they were never decorated in the first place, so we just decorated!) two of our girls bedrooms. Turned out very nice.

I couldn't stand my room anymore. We'd had the mattress on the FLOOR since we'd moved in 3 1/2 years ago!!!!!!! The nasty carpet was blue and the walls were dirty white. SO, in Sept. last year, I did this to it:
room1.jpg
sittingarea1.jpg
Don't mind that bedspread. It's the one I had before. Since then, I've added a pretty queen size comforter with a bed ruffle. The ONLY things I had to buy to do it were paint for walls, ceiling and floor, the new bedspread/bedruffle. I'd previously bought the headboard at a garage sale for $10, all the rest was in our gorgeous sunroom at our previous house and it'd been stored away. The night stands are filled with tikis. I'd found that fabric for the sofa on ebay years ago and it was perfect for this room. It's my "paradise" to escape the crappiness of the rest of the house!
default_yes.gif
:

Now, to just get the rest of my life in order. I'm not looking for "perfect", just more "pleasant" :bgrin

I remember a friend of mine saying to me once -- "Have you ever noticed that those perfect beautiful people who have never had anything go wrong in their lives -- are just plain BORING???" :lol:

I think she was trying to make me feel better.

Oh, and I have since learned that people with seemingly perfect lives actually have a skeleton in their closet.
default_yes.gif
:

MA

Don't know why, but we're still basically happy. And THAT is what matters. Seems like that family is happy also......................... We have sold horses to three families that are much like the ones you describe. We have become good friends & visit often. Our house could fit in the basement of each of their three story homes..... They are always going to Disney World, cruises, trips etc................. They did NOT cast aside our friendship after they accumulated all of their material things & THAT is WHAT counts....................... It is nice to accumulate wealth IF you can still be happy, have good morals & are a decent person. Lee & I are proud & have worked hard for what we have and after 35 years of marriage still have a wonderful loving relationship and THAT is what counts also.......... We have two wonderful successful married children with wonderful spouses & four of the most beautiful wonderful bundles of joy grand children one could ever ask for and THAT is what counts also..... Every ones interpertation of perfect will vary - if Lee & I are not there yet, we are still content & THAT is what counts.

Well, most of the people like that , that I know, didnt earn all their money, they inherited it. If you were a female down one side of my family, you were taught at a very young age how to steal wills/money from everyone else in the family. Nice huh? sorry, I am in one heckova bad mood today.

Marty you must have been to my house when i wasnt here, that describes my place to a T. :bgrin :lol:

I have a wonderufl friend that owns her own business, very successful I might add, Never has money troubles, lives in a HUGE house on 80 well kept acres with farm hands and all. Farm hands have their own living quarters on the farm by the way and its separarte from the LIVING QUARTERS in the BARN :new_shocked: . The barn has all the fancy stalls with wash rooms all that good jazz.

She cam from a rich family from childhood. HAs a personnal trainer for all her show horses.

Had a man offer her 110,000 for her herdsire and she turned it down ,man what it must be like to be able to turn down that kind of money. But she is the kindest person in the world, will help you no matter what,where or when. Always well dressed,yep like Marty said even"her Barn clothes" are untouched by dirt,holes,or worn spots. She has all her clothes sent out to the cleaners, cant imagine what that would be like either!

She drives a dogde durango and her 16 year old kid got a BRAND NEW suv for her birthday.

My place on the other hand flows completely in the other direction. I live paycheck to paycheck, if I'm lucky this paycheck I might have 30 or 40 dollars for groceries. My appliances dont match and my washing machine dances for me every day, loves socks and if I'm not careful sometimes throws up in the floor :eek: . It must be so happy to wash those 16 loads of clothes a day! :lol: Most of which are still waiting to be folded the next day so I never catch up in that dept.

If it were'nt for the 9 dogs that greet you at the gate you would think my house is abandoned from the boarded up widows and missing siding-will need to get that fixed soon-after all I've only been trying for the past five. Windows are expensive and so is any kind of siding. The roof leaks something awful-will try to get to that in the next year or two. I hope to get an addtion added on to my very tiny house so my son can have a bedroom of his own and wont have to sleep on the couch anymore. Hopefully I can get that done before he moves out on his own
default_wink.png
: My car looks like herbie did before it was pulled out of the junk yard and if you want to ride in the passenger side you will need to bring your own bucket to sit on! Duck tape holds my tail light together. I have no truck or trailer because I cant afford them. My daughter is a Snot. My son is somewhere between "DuuHH" and "I know already". More then one pair of shoes for me is a luxery. If air wasnt free then I couldnt afford to live. GEEZ-after proof reading depressed is the word of the day.
default_sad.png

She doesn't have a perfect life...either she has GOBS of money or is deep in debt.....

I will keep my dysfunctional life and my pet dustbunnies for now.....in fact I would still live like I do even if I had tons of money the difference would be....I wouldn't be worried about which bills to pay and which to put off
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

My best friend didn't come from money.

Nothing was handed to them.

Her husband has been a truck driver for Shell Oil since he gradutated high school.

She worked herself up the corporate ladder.

They just made very smart decisions.

Not in debt one bit.

Kids helped by studying hard and got some scholarships for part of their college too.

We just made very different life choices.

Jerry reminds me that if we didn't have to live in the county on a farm and have spent a fortune on animals and their upkeep for the past some 30 years, we could easily have one of those lives too.

But this are the choices we all make.

Gotta be happy in our own chosen lives.

You are right, Marty. It IS about our choices. And as long as each is happy with those choices, that's all that matters.

What's neat is that you both are good friends and are total opposites. (I have a friend kind of like that too.)

Not all people who have money had it handed to them and not all people with money are unhappy any more than all people who are poor are lazy and don't work or are unhappy. Lets not stereotype people.

Money can buy happiness if you are able to be happy. Some people are over-acheivers and are never satisfied just as some people have no goals and don't really care. I don't think it really comes down to money in life- just fullfilling your life's goals. We all have a different perception of happiness.

More people need to live in the "now" and not worry so much about what happened yesterday or what might happen tomorrow- then we would all be happy :aktion033:

:bgrin :bgrin I used to have a sign hanging on my wall that said "A horse is the first step into poverty" :bgrin :bgrin

Yep, Our personnal choices are what gets us to were we are and I must say I wouldnt choose a life without my horses, they are my only sanity check
default_wink.png
: :lol: :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

I bet you anything, deep inside she is a very unhappy person. MOst of them that have it all or appear to, are lacking the one big thing..............happiness.

I agree with you Wishful-- I wouldn't give up my horses for a more "civilized" type of life, they bring me so much happiness and contentment. So what if the amount I spend on them each year could buy a brand new car every year? This is my choice and I am very happy with it. :bgrin Luckily, my husband doesn't seem to mind (anymore) either.
default_wink.png
:

Ashley,

I don't think that is very fair to say. Just because she is wealthy, has a beautiful home and is gorgeous doesn't make her more likely to be unhappy- if anything, she probably is happier than most.

Sucess should be admired not resented.

HorseHugs~

I dont think its very right for you to judge me and think I resent rich people. Im perfectly content with what I have, cause in reality not many people my age would have what I have.

IN my experance with people that appear to have it all, they are not at all happy.

I don't have everything that I want and I don't want everything that I have

but, I wouldn't trade where I am today for any other time in my life.

:aktion033:

Neither of us came from wealth ( I sure didn't) but we have worked hard to get where we are.

I remember 8 years of nights and weekends of endless school for both of us while we also worked full time.

Now we can enjoy it and we do.

default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Your post just sounded negative, Ashley. Wealth or poverty really doesn't or at least shouldn't have much to do with a person's happiness. I've met very happy, seemingly very "wealthy" people, very unhappy "poor" people and visa versa. What's most important in life is the way a person looks at what they have (not what they don't have) and their health. Besides, who's to say what is wealthy or fortunate?

I was also going to say to Marty that I bet your friend is your friend because she admires you and your way of life.
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back