When can minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
The place where I board my horses fertilized the pasture my horses usually go in about 3 weeks ago. The owner thinks it's safe now to put them back on it. I don't think it is but I am not knowledgable in that either so i thought I would ask here. We were in a drought and it has rained some the past couple of days but not a whole lot other than that. He wants to move them on Sunday. Is it safe?

A lot depends on what he put out and if it has now washed off of the blades of grass. Let's face it, they want to eat the grass not the rest, and if there's at least 2" they won't be getting much fertilizer (if it was pelleted, as most use). Personally, I'd bet they will be fine so long as it has rained enough to wash it off the actual grass. IF you have pregnant broodmares, they can get into trouble with too much nitrates. That could happen with overly fertilized grass, even months later! For instance, chicken manure is extremely strong and can be an issue if over fertilized, as can the heavy grass fertilizers (22-8-10, types). Usually 10-10-10 is ok & most often used.

This is just MY OWN experience. I'm not a chemist.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back