When buying a bred mare that has been exposed to two stallions how do you get the foal registered?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenhart

Reaction score
default_new_shocked.gif
I found this lovely red paint mare, she is heavy in foal and I have been emailing the owner she is too far for me to go see in person, I have pictures from every angle and love her look, I found out after emailing for days that she has been bred by two stallions and that the stallions ( I have seen them one is a buckskin pintoloosa and the other a red paint) have both DNA tests, I am miffed that I wasnt told sooner but now I would like to know how much it will cost to DNA the foal and mare and if this is a good thing or what? She will be delivered too me if this gets settled but I dont want something I can not register or that will be more than I want to deal with or pay for...Please if anyone can offer kind help on how to proceed.....Thanks Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
The cost is really not that much, I have a mare that I bred to one stud and she came back in on the second heat I bred her to another well the foal was born early so we were not sure who daddy was!! I was told to send in paper work and ask for foal to be parentage qualified. If mare is not DNA then have her done and foal, it will cost around 60 for both. Put the stud that she thinks may be the daddy and if that one is not then they will let you know so they can test the other. I would maybe try and get the owner to pay for the mare to be DNA'd.

Good LUck

The mare also needs to be DNA'ed and once the foal is born, the foal will have to DNA-ed and parent qualified against each possible sire.

If the foal comes out with a dilute coloring, it should be a no brainer to have the buckskin stallion listed first for the parent qualification test.

AMHA also has a rule about how many days/weeks apart is allowed between breedings using two different stallions. I've never had to worry about it, so don't know all the details. I think it's written on the back of the stallion report forms. Even if the rule has been followed, you'll still want to have the colt parent qualified, IMO.

Make sure that the mare has been listed on both stallion reports.

MA

$41 last I knew but if you go the AMHA site it will be listed along with more info. It happens unfortuately and with DNA you'll know who the daddy is...long as both dad's are reg and DNA. Is mom?

If its any consolation -- depending on her age, the mare has to have dna on file before the foal could be registered -- regardless of there being 2 possible stallions.

I routinely dna my foals at birth -- and most recently have also parent qualified them - even when I know the sire. PQ does not cost anything additional - and if the foal is likely to become breeding stock, he/she would need DNA pulled from him/her to produce registerable offspring anyway.

IMO Covering a mare by multiple stallions is not unusual at all. Usually this is not during the same week --- but in the same "breeding season" - if you are not successful in settling her with one stallion, a different one can sometimes do the trick. I would be glad the seller has told you this -- and assume the seller has her listed on both stallions' breeding reports.

JJay

I know that AMHA has rules in place for a several week wait period if you choose to change your mind and breed to a different stallion in the same breeding season also. Was this not followed? I am not sure about AMHR's rules on that.

Yep, all adults will need to be DNA'd and then the foal DNA'd and PQ'd.

default_rolleyes.gif
Thanks for helping me learn...I am pretty sure the lady is truthful she did tell me after all and she is going to fax all the papers on all the horses now and I will see who is permanant etc. Thanks for all the info . I will post pictures when she is mine and of our new baby to be when it arrives
default_smile.png
Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that AMHA has rules in place for a several week wait period if you choose to change your mind and breed to a different stallion in the same breeding season also. Was this not followed? I am not sure about AMHR's rules on that.
AMHR does not have a waiting period between exposure to different stallions like AMHA does. The only rule that would apply would be that a mare cannot be exposed to more than one stallion during the same heat period.

AMHA is 42 days. AS long as its past that your ok.

I know from experiance, since I screwed up a stud report once. That the foal will need to be DNA and PQ before it can be registured. IF both parents are done then it will only be $41 if not then the each additional test is also $41.

Make sure the mare is on both stallion reports, DNA the mare now. when the foal is born, PQ the foal with which ever stallion you think it could be and if that one isn't it, then she is already on the other stallion report too and you wont' have to pay a late fee to add her. It will be $41 for the mare and the same for the foal.

Latest posts

Back