When breeding AMHA to Welsh...this is what you get

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful colt! I love the welsh ponies, they are beautiful and that cross came out so neat! I'd love to see pictures of him too later on down the road
default_smile.png

I can't stop thinking about this. Can anyone tell me if there is a 1/2 Welsh registry, like there is a 1/2 Arab one. I keep thinking about George running with a bunch of Mt. Ponies. Oh Boy -Here we go again.
Not positive, but pretty darn sure you can registure 1/2 Welshes
default_smile.png

Jessi

No half welsh registry, not here anyway, not sure about the States.

I did this cross a couple of times, it is very hit and miss with the size, the first time I got a CrCr filly who made 12 hh, the second time I got a black colt who made 10hh, no rhyme or reason to it!!

The colt o/o my Arab mare made 12.2hh but she was 14.2hh so it was to be expected.

What I did find was that the size did not come down at all in the next generation, so I was stuck with overheight horses, which was not a good thing, so I stopped!!

Nice foal though, wern't you lucky with the colour, too!

He's LOVELY! When I bought my first Mini, over 19 years ago, she had been bred to a Rowdy grandson that was being crossed on small quarter horse mares for SUPER sport ponies! I traded off a gorgeous hackney pony mare several years ago when I couldn't track down her papers. I often wish I would have kept her to breed to our Bandit
default_wub.png

There is a lady here in East Tennessee (transplanted from up North I believe) that has started a Welsh/Miniature registry and calls them Winnis or Whinnies or Winnies..I can't remember how she spelled it...she is not online however but I will see if I can find the newsletter and her address about the new registry..Oh and your baby is gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
@LaVern: I have 2 Welsh mares.

Here is mummy of Snake:

My black Welsh mare Blaze, 1.18 cm (inches??)

f21cfcec.jpg

100_0055.jpg

100_0059.jpg

viperstand.jpg

And this is her sire, a famous harness-pony in Holland.

Here is Snake's sire, my AMHA stallion Vic (31")pictured left

hengstenkeuring_31-3-07_1331.jpg

And here is Blaze again with her first foal, a 2007 champagne colt out of a AMHA champagne stallion.

Jet2dagenoudnr6.jpg

How cool. I love your welsh mare. the New Zealand Supreme Champion Halter Horse B (2008 was his 6th time winning this title) has a full registered welsh mother. He is owned by Meg who posts here, she actually has a number of horses with alot of welsh blood. It was a very common cross here in the early days and alot have won top honors.

Wow, I love him. And his dam! She could grace my pasture any day, I love Welshies.

This is my half Welsh boy who Victoria mentioned. Dam is full Welsh, Sire is Scott Creek Monarch Magic who was imported from the US.

killer02.jpg

WOW!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Keep the pics coming! Fantastic horses- all of them.

@Meg: What a gorgeous colt that is, sure hope Snake is gonna mature like him!

@HG Farm: I'll do my best!
default_laugh.png
I so much like the Welshies and also their character, sometimes they act like small Thoroughbreds.

Our registry in Holland also registers the Welsh x AMHA and Welsh x Shetland crosses.

I even believe there is someone who recently crossed a Baltic breed (forgot the name) to a Shetland.

I have to say though that I made this cross 2x now, once with an AMHA Champagne stallion and onc wit my own AMH stallion. Both stallions vary in size but it looks like both offspring are gonna end up about the same size.

Latest posts

Back