When a mare is bred and the baby moves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
just their stomach moving.

Hi eveyone,

I have a mare that was bred for an early June baby. But I don't believe she actually looks pregnant. She looks just fine to me although I do feel and see movement in her belly. I have had other friends of mine that says she doesn't look pregnant to them either. But like I said, I see movement and feel it.

How do you know if the movement that I see and feel is just stomach twitches from eating or if she could actually be bred??

I have an appt on Friday for the vet. The problem is the mare wasn't handled very much at all before I got her. She isn't mean at all but very skitish, she will let me pet her in her stall but she still walk away from me to be by herself. I am afraid they will have to drug her to do an ultrasound on her because I know she would never stand for palpation. What would you do???

I'd keep an eye on her for the next two months. You should be able to tell for sure as the foal grows rapidly in size between 7 months and birth. If you aren't certain yet, the kicking should become clear soon. I wouldn't put her under the extra stress at this point.

The best way I've found to feel foal movement is to put your palm flat on the mares belly behind their navel and wait to feel movement, I have 5 mares due in June and have felt the movement, it's an obvious rolling push usually from the hock, poll, back, etc. You can feel them roll around, of course it helps that I'm not a quiet person and that I probably wake the babies up with my voice, lol!

My mares are used to my messing with them and what I do is after I spread their hay I crouch down beside them, use one hand to scratch at their withers, put my cheek against their flank and other hand on the belly, most of mine will accept this.

With your girl I wouldn't suggest the cheek on the flank if she's not thrilled with the handling, that could make for an interest situation, lol. But start with the scratches where they like them, behind the ears, on the withers and on either side of the base of the tail are spots they just love.

krisp

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, I will try that this morning when I check on her. She isn't a mean girl at all she just hasn't been handled and she is afraid of everything. I sat in her stall last night for over an hour just scratching her neck and feeling on her belly. I mostly was feeling low but between the back legs and her navel and I did feel movement but I didn't know if it was because she was grazing. I will check this morning again and see if I can feel it now. I will also post a picture of my Maggie so you all can see her. It will be a first picture of her. I didnt want to put any woolie pictures on my website of her but I will anyway since I believe that is the only way I can post a picture on LB forum. If you know of another way where I don't have to post the pictures on my website please PM or Email me.

I like to watch for movement. My mares never seem to want to stand still long enough for me to feel the baby move so I stand with them and watch for their bellies to "bounce/jump" or make obvious moves. I love to see that, makes me feel that all is well. :aktion033:

I also try to see of baby is in position but that can be hard to do.

I just had a mare checked a few weeks ago. I thought she either didn't take, or reabsorbed. She was bred when I purchased her, but was never vet checked. She was sedated, eventhough she has been well handled, no one likes their butt played with like that! The vet wasn't even sure she was in foal when visually saw her. When she palpated her, she was careful just incase she was, she then did an ultrasound, and as she stated "We have a Baby!" She reassued me that sedating her was not going to harm the baby. They don't completely knock them out, they need them in a standing position.

It isn't a huge deal, and youll know for sure. It would be a grave mistake to think she isn't bred then have complications down the road when foaling time comes near.

The whole sedation thing added $18 to the bill, plus the vets extra time.

By the way, my girl is due in MAY!

Promise

Well I definitely see movement. I just am not sure what I am actually seeing. If I had to guess I really think she is bred. But by her physical appearence she appears to not have much of a belly at all. She is a really refined mare so I would think I would see it better. I will try and take pictures of her tonight and you all can tell me what you think. This will be fun....then I can have the vet check her and then we can see if we were right. It would also be a good learning experience for people that might think their mares aren't bred but actually are.

If she isn't due until June.....I doubt whether you would be able to actually "see" movement easily at this point. Not saying it can't be done....if the mare is laying in the right position, and belly is forced on top of a leg or something, you might be able to see some movement depending on the size of the foal at this point.

But....it's not generally easy to see movement until they are further along.

Also.....you should be able to feel definite "thumps" if there is a baby in there. When the mare is in her last trimester, you can feel the body of the foal turning & moving around. But at first, what you are looking for are very definite "thumps" from the foal kicking.
default_yes.gif
:

MY rule is.....if I'm not absolutely sure what I'm feeling is a foal kicking, I keep trying until there is no doubt!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mare would be due June 3rd at the latest breeding date. She was bred twice. But she is so refined...i will get pictures for you guys. This will be fun to try and figure out. And then Friday I will know for sure.

I had a very refined maiden mare that wasn't supposed to be bred
default_rolleyes.gif
: Not long before she delivered I noticed for the very first time she was a bit plumper than I thought she should be, brought her into the barn and within days Dexter was born :aktion033:

I was just out feeling for her baby while feeding this morning and had to laugh remembering when she had him, she's not really showing at all right now and one of the ones due in June, I did feel the baby move tho :bgrin :bgrin

krisp

I should have stated in my reply above, I don't really look for any movement till they are at least 7-8 months along.

My vet won't palpate minis but will do an ultrasound if I take them too his office for the sedation. For me

I would rather wait too see rather than put them in the stress of being taken there. My girls are all home bodies unless its a necessity they go to the vets.

Can't wait for pictures! :aktion033:

My vet is a very tiny female and can palpate very easily because her hands are sooo tiny. But I called her this morning and she is going to sedate lil Miss Maggie and do the ultrasound. I am excited about taking the pictures tonight and then the ultrasound on Friday. Should be a fun experiment. Maggie would be due June 3rd if we go off the last breeding. Which would make her 7 months, so maybe I will start seeing the baby move soon.

Well, let me tell you I have been confused by this before!!

I saw movement but it was not a baby.

Now I laugh about it because I watch my stallion and even his stomach moves a lot!! :lol:

When you see it you can tell it is a living thing making the movement. I have 3 mares due and you can see the foals kicking, it is dramatic movement, there is no mistaking it once you have seen it but I swore twice in the past that my mare was bred btu NO foal!!
default_sad.png

Once you see it you will know, maybe you have already!!

It is so exciting!!
default_smile.png

I have a mare due in june too, she is very refined and had her first foal last year and she doesnt look pregnant really but I felt the baby moving inside :aktion033: I give them their feed and scratch their necks while I have my hand flat on the tummy as already described, you soon learn the difference between foal movement and mare muscle. Try doing it every day.

I'm guessing you've never been pregnant because when you feel the baby kick inside of you, you'll know what it looks like on the mare. :bgrin

In my experience, I've felt some foals moving at seven months gestation, but it's really at eight months that you'll feel it the best. I've had the most success in the morning while the mare is eating her breakfast. She usually doesn't pay much mind to what I'm doing, and eating seems to wake up the foal. If I see the mare take a drink, then I'm right in there because almost invariably that's the time you'll feel movement. I've also had some mares that don't appear to be in foal until thiey're nine months along, while others start to show by the time I get the stallion back in the barn!

My mare is due June 1st, so she is right along the same lines as your mare. I could feel the baby inside about 2-3 weeks ago 'for sure'...

I cannot SEE any external movment if I sit and stare at her, but I expect as the months go on I will be able to. Right now, if I am patient, I can put my hand right in front of her udder, and within 2-5 minutes I can feel a definite kick. With patience I can feel it rolling around in there a little too. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that I was SURE those faint thumps I felt in there wasn't just digestion. I would sit with my hand on my gelding's belly alternately to compare, because I KNOW he's not bred (even though he's a favorite of the stallions to mount...
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

My vet won't ultrasound miniature horses, and they've done a good job of scaring me ("Don't make us do it, your mare could DIE!!!) so I just go by the "can I feel it in there??? method). I have to say that I have to be careful not to obsess about it, once I know there's something in there I feel compelled to check every day to make sure it's still alive.
default_unsure.png
:

Andrea

Latest posts

Back