What's Your Day Job?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
We haven't done this in awhile and I thought it would be fun to see what some of us do for a living!

I'm a financial planner / registered investment advisor / investment broker. I've been doing this for 11 years and own a small practice with my father. We have a really nice office in Warrenton, VA (50 miles from my house). We even have our names in gold letters on the door :lol: We've got some great employees for office staff.

In order to do what I do, I'm licensed in the areas of investments (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, UIT's...) and insurance (life insurance, annuities). I'm the OSJ / Registered Principal in our office which means I'm my dad's supervisor in the eyes of the SEC. Most of our clients are affluent people who are retired or soon will be. I love working with my clients and my father. I also love being my own boss and not having to go into the office most Fridays
default_wink.png
:

I am not sure if she will remember, but Mary Lou called me once to discuss this article we were working on for AMHA, and when she got through to me (assistants screen my calls), she said it sounded like I had a real professional office! It cracked me up!!! Especially since that day, I didn't have any client appointments and basically was in barn attire
default_rolleyes.gif
:

What about you all? What's your day job?

My biggest job is mommy and wife. In other words, I feed people and clean up after them.

I'm also a self-employed web designer, photographer and a when-I-feel-like-it freelance writer. Sometimes I pretend to be a novellist and work on one of my books-in-progress, but time for that kind of a thing is a luxury.

I used to be an editor/journalist and before that I was a legal secretary. Many moons ago I worked with horses for a living.

I'm a legal assistant for an Intellectual Property law firm in downtown Seattle. I mostly do patent prosecution work, although in the past I have done trademark work, licensing, and foreign intellectual property work. I've been doing this 1994 I believe
default_wacko.png
: I like what I do...it definitely keeps me busy. My bosses are great also
default_yes.gif
:

Tracy

I'm an Instructional Assistant. In other words, I'm a teacher's slave. HAHA. I work at our local Junior High School with 7th and 8th graders. I've been working with children (ages 5-14) for the past 6 years, but I've only been at this position since May.

My #1 job will always be "MOM" and up until this year, I did that 24/7 (for 12 years). This year, I became a Real Estate Broker and work around my kids' schedules. It's a long time coming, but I needed to re-establish my own identity outside of being MOM and I'm completely enjoying myself! My kids think it's great, too.
default_yes.gif
:

My biggest job is mommy and wife. In other words, I feed people and clean up after them.

I'm also a self-employed web designer, photographer and a when-I-feel-like-it freelance writer. Sometimes I pretend to be a novellist and work on one of my books-in-progress, but time for that kind of a thing is a luxury.
How do you find freelance work when it comes to writing??

I'm a "SAHM"- Stay at home mother. Taking care of Nathan (and the Zoo here, since no one else will it seems >.<) is pretty much a full-time job.

Aside from that, I'm trying out working at Scott Creek Farms on Wednesdays cleaning stalls.

That's pretty much it... Oh, and I craft. Working on learning quilting, I also make horseshoe dreamcatchers (though I've only ever sold one -.-) and attempt to crochet. I do beadwork too, both seed-bead loom work and other types. I also draw my own little stuff when I can manage (nothing much horsey, though)... yep. Not much here.
default_smile.png

Can i say I dream of horses professionally? :p

I have to pitch my ideas to editors ... some get accepted, many get rejected. It gets easier once you get published with a publication, they're more likely to use you again.

I craft, too ... when I have time. I am going to be starting an applique quilt soon for Caitie, I have some knitting on the go, some scrapbooking on the go, and a few other projects in mind. I want to redo my dining room so once I find the right fabric, I'll be reupholstering chairs and making new curtains.

Last edited:
I am actually doing my day job right as I type this! I'm a high school substitute teacher! I just gave my kids a reading assingment and for once it's not like herding cats so I'm taking a moment to catch up on reading my favorite website, L'il Beginnings!!

I have been a full-time teacher in the past, as well as an administrator for 5 years, but the hubby and I decided that living a simpler life was more important than both of us working, so I just sub 2 days a week. I think most of my income goes to the horses so I better keep it up!! We cut out a lot of things like driving newer cars and eating out so we could live on basically one income, but it is worth it to us to have a peaceful home where we aren't always scrambling around to get things done on the weekends. A couple of books that really helped our thinking is Simple Living by Janet Luhr, and The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dzycyzn. Now we don't subscribe to everthing put forth in these books, but it does help clarify one's thinking about what is really important.

Jayne

I am a SAHM to 4 very busy little men. Their sport and school schedules are insane but I have it down! I was a computer nerd before children LOL I programmed computers for medical offices. I just finished a 6 week job getting a dental office set up (found the ad in the paper for a temp p/t posistion -emailed resume - they called at 11am interviewed at noon had the job at 1 :bgrin my hours my fee - gotta love that). I will be here for my guys for atleast another 10 years then who knows
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I work in the "Tele-Health industry!" At least according to the last conference title I saw an ad for. :lol: In reality I am a receptionist at a consulting nurse phone line. Calls come in, I take their name and number and description of symptoms and put it in the computer so the nurses can triage the calls and return the most serious ones first. This way they don't get stuck talking about an infant's diarrhea when there's a heart attack waiting on line two they don't know about.

I do a lot of other things too, from customer service functions to acting as a hospital switchboard operator. I know the phone numbers of at least five departments at each of nine major area hospitals off the top of my head.
default_wacko.png
: I type as fast as I talk, which is fast, and have to bounce through each of our five concurrently-running computer programs like a particularly acrobatic squirrel all day long. Carpal tunnel, here I come! :lol: We register for flu shots, childbirth classes, track E. Coli and eventually Avian Flu outbreaks, get 911 calls.....It's definitely a fast-paced job.

The problem is my rump just sits there in a chair...ugh. Thank God the horses get me out once I'm home!

Leia

I love when you do this topic Jill, it's very interesting to see what people do. And I know where to come when I need financial advice...now only if I had some x-tra money to invest!!! :bgrin

I am an Air Traffic Controller and have been for almost 9 years. I love what I do. Every day is different and although sometimes stressfull, I love it. I work at an airport where I have the opportunity to work in the tower and the radar room. So I clear planes to land/takeoff as well as direct them in the sky (in front of a scope similiar to a computer monitor) up to 11,000 ft. I am not the person you see on the ramp with flags, I am in the Control Tower and a government employee. There is nothing like the thrill of having 25 airplanes on my frequency...while it's happening, I must say it's not to thrilling and a quite bit butt puckering at times, but when it's over, it's like I just won a video game, but of course I take it much more serious than that...thousands of lives in my hands in just a few minutes, it is a rush sometimes. I really do love my job...but must say...I totally despise my boss and my agency makes my job miserable sometime.

About a month ago I had the pleasure (or displeasure, however you look at it) of working Air Force One. It's an honor to be picked to be the one to do this.

My husband is also an Air Traffic Controller but at a different airport than I. We try NOT to talk about work when we get home although it's hard since our airspace of juristrictions are right next to each other. He too loves his job.

Although I do like my job, I can't wait to retire...only 13 more years to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was laid off in July so I'm now a full time stay at home Mom. I can't imagine doing anything else.

I currently work at a day care but I gave my notice and will be done by the end of the month. I used to work at this same daycare about 12 years ago and moved on to a different job and got laid off from that one about a year and a half ago. After I got laid off I started working for my boyfriend who is a self-employeed contractor so I pretty much got to pick my hours.

When I started back at day care last month I realized how spoiled I got working my own hours and being home when my kids got home from school.

I can't wait for the end of the month to get here and be able to be home more with my kids and animals,

Work was really getting in the way, lol!!

Leslie

My job isnt as "glamorous" as some of yours, but hey, without people like me, where would some of you go to get your clothes cleaned?? :bgrin

I am a supervisor at a dry cleaners and have been in this industry off an on since 1980 (I think total years spent in it is about 15 or 16 now), so I know every aspect of the business. I work mostly up front with the customers, which I LOVE!

In between jobs at the cleaners, I have been a cashier, child care attendant, grade school recess attendant, stay at home mom and the owner of my own video store.

Most days I am happy with my job, altho sometimes I get alittle bored...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My official title is Information Technology Consultant for the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. We are responsible for the Medicaid computer system which process 1 billion dollars in medical claims per month. My job just changed, we are in the process of (finally) establishing a formal software testing unit so are in the process of designing our jobs.

Hate my job right now, hate the head b*tch, but with a new gov in place, she will be gone soon, we all hope! It pays well, benefits are awsome, have been with the state for 21 years, only 9 to go until retirement so I can hang in until then.

I was a Dermatologist MD for 25 years made a life change and now do what I love to do.

I am an alpaca breeder

Anita

I am a paramedic full time and dispatch for 911 part time as they call it a Georgia State Certified Communications Officier. I use to dispatch part time a few years ago but quit do to my migraines now I have them somewhat under control and I am back dispatching again.........I love being in the emergency field. Nothing helping a wounded child or a elderly patient who needs some assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky me! I get to do exactly what I always wanted to do when I grew up. Breed horses! Miniature horse breeder and trainer here. I love my job! :aktion033:

I was a Management Analyst with the State of Maine for the last 8 years of my 31 years there I always tell every one I gave up political bullcrap for horse crap
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back