Whats the youngest age at which you would show a foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Socks Miniature

Reaction score
Ok, Im having this huge debate... There is a show in a few weeks, and Im sitting on the fence on whether or not I should take my foal. I havent put her in any classes yet, but ive had questions on whether I am bringing her or not.

She would of course go with mom and she would be a month old...It would be one day and one class.

But, Im worried that she is too young and I worry about exposure to diseases, stress ect.

She is a very lively and independent foal, and is actually quite the trouble maker.

So of course I have come here to the great forums...to ask...whats your opinion?

Thanks!

Masako

The youngest I've shown a bub was 10 weeks old, from memory. In New Zealand, the rules of the NZMHA allow the showing of foals from 2 months of age. His dam was more stressed out than he was, I think he rather enjoyed himself
default_biggrin.png
:

I think he was 10 weeks old at this particular show, he ended up taking Runner Up Supreme Champion under an American judge
default_wub.png

I think a lot depends on the situation ... distance to travel to show, stress levels of bub and mum etc etc

But it was a lot of fun, and best of luck if you decide to show
default_smile.png

0000000010.jpg

0000000016.jpg

BTW, this guys is now 4 1/2 years old, and is working nicely in harness
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I would be concerned with stress levels and diseases. If your mare is an old pro at the showing game and not likely to get over excited etc, then that would help with the stress side of things. Have you re-covered your mare? If so then it is probably not the best time to travel her.

Sorry, not being very helpful! Just wanting to throw some thoughts into the mix LOL!!

Anna

We don't show foals. The youngest we take are yearlings. Too much stress and risk for little gain.

I don't show foals either. To me the risk is too great on their immune systems (or their lack of immunity!).

We don't show foals. Their immune system isn't fully developed and the stress on them, even with mom there, is really high.

The first foal we ever showed (60 days old) was dead 20 days later. I'm not saying that would happen to your foal, but I'll never do that again.

Every year we hear of foals dying at or after being shown.

Yes, people show foals. You see them at the shows. Most of them are probably ok, but.........

Charlotte

As a general rule, we do not show very very young horses for all the reasons the other posters have mentioned. But on two occasions we have when a customer wanted to see the babies at a show near to them. In both cases the babies were close to weaning age, but not quite. So we took the mare and showed the baby while we were there. In both cases they did fine with no problems. One taking a supreme that day as a baby against some pretty good competition and the other won her class.
default_aktion033.gif

Be sure to do the little things to make the deal easier on them though like giving both the mare and the baby extra electrolytes and vitamins to boost the immune system etc. Hydration is a big key to being able to get away with it, if you decide to take her. Also keep her away from the others horse and disinfect the stall like you would for any of your show horses.
default_yes.gif

Thanks guys! I have not covered the mare as Im giving her some time off and will train her to drive next year. I dont think I will be taking her to this show as I was worried about all the reasons above!
default_yes.gif

I showed a 4 1/2 month old filly that had only been weaned 2 weeks and made the trip to "R" Nationals from OH last year. We really stayed on top of her to make sure she was not under undue stress. We put her in with a very calm buddy that takes to anyone, made sure we gave electrolites and also had her on GastroGuard and beetpulp to help with her stress level. Having the stall buddy really helped. She was an older filly that loved to play with the babies so they kept each other entertained.

I would be concerned about disease. You never know what someone will bring to the show grounds. Last year at the Reno show there were all of the minis. The Budweiser Clydesdale's were there. Then they were having flag team practice for the Reno Rodeo. One of the horses brought for the flag team practice had strangles. I know because I had trained at her barn. She had several very sick horses including the one she brought to the show grounds. You just never know what someone is going to do at a show.

I showed a filly at World a few years ago, but I left her on her dam until after the show. I think she was probably approaching 6 months or so, I don't remember for sure. She made it through just fine and was put with a trainer as a yearling. I think you are gambling if you take any horse to a show, regardless of their age.

I'll be taking a 9 week old foal to our Area show next weekend. As long as the mare is healthy, has had her vaccinations 30 days out from foaling, mare is a calm/experienced mare, and the foal is healthy and strong, I have no problem hauling foals to shows. They actually do quite well when they are still on their dams. Now, I would never haul one that was just weaned as they are already stressed as it is. I actually enjoy showing foals. You can't mess up! Its expected that they won't lead, won't stand still, and will throw themselves on the ground. You just go with the flow, dust them off at least once, smile, and laugh.

Its the 2 yr olds I hate showing!
default_wacko.png

I heard about someone once that showed a foal that was only 9 DAYS old!! I thought that was horrible! I've shown foals before, but only at a local show, but just found it was too stressful, so I don't do it anymore. It's sure tempting sometimes, though. I just think the risks far outweigh any of the benefits.

I've taken a few foals with their dams to the AMHA World show. I really enjoyed doing it, but it's hard on the foals and I lost one a few years back. The foal got pneumonia shortly after we got back from the show and died a few weeks later. That's the last time I've taken one to a show. Can't say I won't do it again, but I'll have to think long and hard about it.

Latest posts

Back