Our wonderful filly and her short time with us - updated in response to Tremors question pg 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watcheye

Reaction score
Well the dark side of breeding showed its ugly head here over the summer. We were expecting one foal and on a lovely day in July our mare went into labor. This foal was a very anticipated baby for me. Sadly there were several complications and despite our hard work with several vets (and sometimes sleeping in the barn next to her), we lost her at 3 days old. The killer is things were just starting to look up for her. She was a gorgeous foal out of my beautiful red and white mare Prism and by my Perlino stallion Elliot. In the short time we had her everyone just loved her. She was friendly and curious. I could not have been happier with her. I debated posting about her obviously as its October now but shes too wonderful not to share. In a very feeble attempt to protect myself, I did not name her while she was alive as I was worried about if she was going to make it. Afterword it just didnt seem right referring to our lost baby as filly, so we gave her the nick name "Tippy" (after her tippy ears). Im so proud of my little beauty and hope you like her too.

DSC07363_zps8523de83.jpg

with my cousin

DSC07356_zps354dc1ba.jpg

DSC07385_zps82efe839.jpg

I spend a lot of time thinking of all of the things we would have done and the beauty she would have grown up to be.

DSC07375_zps436eebf5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man I'm so sorry for you about the loss of your beautiful little Tippy

((((HUGS)))) even though some months have past I'm sure it still hurts, so glad you gave her a name

Breeding can be so heartbreaking sometimes, usually the good times out weigh the bad, which keeps us going

So sorry to read this. It sounds like you went the extra mile to help her along, and I hope you get some comfort knowing she knew she was loved.

Breeding can be very hard sometimes, but as Lori says, usually the good times outweigh the bad times, and I hope you have much more success in the future.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am so sorry.? I lost my only foal this year too and I cried for a week straight. Some hit you worse than others. She sure was a beautiful little filly and if I could, I'd give you a big hug.

She was such a pretty little sweetie. I'm so sorry you lost her. No words can erase the sorrow from your heart.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Was she a perlino pinto?

She was really cool. I think about her all of the time. I love liberty and like to think she would have been my flashy new liberty horse. I picture it a lot still. Our friend from Australia was visiting us when she was born and was a huge help. Topping it off, Holly from White Tail farm helped out over the phone a lot and I emailed Robin of ROKO minis back and forth trying to save her (along with the frequent vet visits). We definitely had a LOT of support. Robin, she was a palomino pinto.

Oh how very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss, she was such a beautiful little girl.

((((HUGS))))

So so Sorry to read this, it's HARD to loose 'em! Went through that here a couple of weeks ago myself only made worse by my 6 yr old seeing it happen. HUGS to you!

I'm so sorry you went through this. Condolences and hugs.

I am so sorry, but I'm glad you had such a large support group from people on here. Do you mind if I ask, what happened to her?

Tremor - when she was being born her head was back a little funny. Not backwards, she was just kind of swan necked odd. The mare was a maiden and her uterus was really tight. I tried really hard before the vet was there to get the head forward but due to the insanely tight uterus I was unsuccessful. We had our vet come out right away and while we were waiting for him we were on camera and my husband was on the phone with Holly of White Tail Farm. Our Aussie friend (Serge) was in the stall with me holding the mare. The vet had to sedate her and the three of us moved her and the foal around and got her out. Unfortunately, Prism due to the events didnt make enough milk and Tippy didnt get enough colostrum. I tried to milk her and get as much down her as I could. She was also weak and we wondered if she was a dummy foal? I dont know much about them. She would go to nurse and would not latch on. She looked like she was doing it but she was sucking on her tongue. The vet was not there as he had another emergency to get to as soon as the foal was delivered. We had the vet come out again in the morning to bring us some foal milk replacer, some Equidone past to get more milk flowing in our mare, and do the Igg blood test (I think that is the name - the one where they test to see if the foal got the colostrum she needed). She didnt... SO we then had the vets come back out to do a plasma transfusion on her. The moment that was done she was up and moving around and latching on to nurse. She was playing more and we were all so relieved. We continued to go out and check on her constantly and all was well till about 3 am the next day. She was down and wouldnt get back up. We had the emergency vet out right away. He gave her some iv fluids and something with sugar but I cant even remember exactly what was going on. She would struggle to get up but didnt have the balance and couldnt get to her feet. She would start breathing really hard/funny when she tried to get up. It was so strange. She passed away in my arms later that morning. It was heartbreaking because she was doing better and suddenly she was just gone. I even tried to do mouth to nose resuscitation. We buried her on our property.

Latest posts

Back