What to do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutgirl

Reaction score
Wondering how I should feed my minis (3yr old mare and 1yr old gelding) when they arrive. They are due to arrive the end of August. What they are eating at their owners right now is good quality hay and pasture, Now where I live it is very sandy so the pasture they will have is already browning up with the lack of rain this year. so eventually I think it will turn into more of a dry lot. I was planning on feeding them good quality hay which would be a grass mix and feed, (looking into types of feed.) and maybe some alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. She said she feeds them feed when she is getting them in show condition but as my pasture is not as good as hers should I start feeding them feed right away? Due to my pasture quality. also should the feed be introduced slowly over the course of a couple weeks? Would sand clear be something good to consider as like I said it is sandy where I am? Should that also be added gradually? Also any suggestions on feed? There are so many to choose from and of course they all market them to sound good. I am planning on showing them next summer in halter class. Just a worried new mini mom with a ton of questions as I want their transition to my place to be as smooth as possible for them and me.

See if their current owner can send some of the feed/hay that they are currently eating so you can mix it with what you provide them. Remember that they are adjusting to a move and introduce your changes in their diet slowly by blending the feed/hay and adding just a little new types of your choice of feed/pellets/beet pulp at a time. I would introduce the new feed one type at a time over a period of time. It is a good time to ask your vet for advice on feed also.

If they are going to be mostly idle pets, then just hay plus a vit/min supplement and salt should be just fine, the yearling might need a growth formula feed to keep his condition and to help him continue to grow to his potential (for just about a year more, til he's 2, then the idle horse diet should be fine). Sand clearing products are usually given once a month for 1 week to clear the sand from their system; but you may want to talk to you vet and see if there is a different protocol for your region.

They will be idle pets I guess you could say. I do plan on walking them daily and maybe training the three year old mare on a few jumps but nothing to hard core until next spring when I would like to get them in show shape. So should I feed them now like they are show horses or can this be done come spring when it is time to start conditioning them? I know the way a horse looks has a lot to do with nutrition so that is why I am wondering if I start them on a show diet now. I guess I am wondering do people feed their horses different during show season vs not show season? Also I was looking at triple crown products. They seem to be very high quality, but this is a newbie here so what do I know. If anyone has had experience with them let me know what you have experienced. Good and Bad and if you have found anything better. I know every horse is different and everyone does things just a little different too, I am just looking to get pointed in the right direction.
default_biggrin.png

I don't show, so don't know if show horses are fed differently in different seasons. Just wanted to say, Triple Crown is an excellent company; a good place to start with Triple Crown products would probably be their Lite formula, its perfect for most easy keeping minis, even many show minis. [if it doesn't have enough bang for your horses after they start serious show training, then you might need to try another product.] Along with good quality hay.

Latest posts

Back