What's the best brand of clippers to get??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones personal preferences are on:

Best clippers for a Show Clip??

Best clippers for a general clip?

Is there a best clipper for both reasons???

I'm looking to purchase clippers but have no clue what brands are best etc. and what all is needed in a FULL kit??? Like say I needed to buy everything to bring with me to a show, what do I all need?

Double Ks for both.

The clippers are complete except for blades, which you buy the length you need, and I suggest at least three sets of #10, a longer blade such as a 5 or 7 (for rougher clips where you want to retain a LITTLE bit of coat for warmth, etc.), a #30 (for clipping the face) and maybe a #40 or #50 for the muzzles and over the eyes/inside ears and around the hoof tops/coronet bands.

Also...clipper oil, as you need to clean your blades and re-oil them every 3-5 minutes during a clip or you are damaging the blades and sometimes the clippers.

Liz M.

Double K all the way! They're a bit more expensive, but absolutely 100% NO DOUBT worth the extra money!!!
aktion033.gif

Liz R.

Double K's are what is chosen by most. I have them and if I had to pick one would pick them ONLY because of the volume of horses I do a year. Double K's have a heavy stiff cable (that's where your power comes from) that I detest. The only thing better at taking off the winter "wool" would be a large animal clippers.

My favorites have always been the Laube's. I seem to get a better finish from my Laubes than my Double K's. They are lighter and mine can also become rechargable, making show day touch ups a breeze. They do not have as much power as the K's but more power (IMO) than the other brands I've tried (Oster/Andis/Wahl).

Thanks you guys for your helpful suggestions! I only have 3 mini's, plan to be down to 1 or 2 in the near future so i'm looking for quality over quantity....so Double K's seem to be the most popular, anyone have any info on this Laube's one???

My Mom just got her/our first Double K clippers and man am I looking forward to clipping this year!! I am going to buy a set of Laube's for all the touch up and clean up. I recommend getting them from Rob Crater on this forum... he is so helpful and a nice guy! Good luck!!

p.s. I wish we lived closer together, I would snap up that Loco!!!!!
wub.gif

Feel free to e-mail with any Double K and Laube questions..........I deal in both and am probably the cheapest around.

ROB

www.theclipperbarn.com

We have 2 sets of Double K's and lots of other clippers. If I am just doing a ruff cut to get the hair off, or on any horses that are large amount of white I use a cattle clippers.

Show clippes get done with double k's. I do like that I have a 20' cord on mine. I personally think they are easier to move around with the longer cord on them. Plus I can go many places with them with out moveing the clippers.

We have 2 sets of Double K's and lots of other clippers. If I am just doing a ruff cut to get the hair off, or on any horses that are large amount of white I use a cattle clippers.

Show clippes get done with double k's. I do like that I have a 20' cord on mine. I personally think they are easier to move around with the longer cord on them. Plus I can go many places with them with out moveing the clippers.

I just bought Laubes about 1 month ago. My friend has the double K's they clip great but I also dont like the cord it's very heavy. I only have 2 minis to clip so I went with the Laubes I also have the A5's they didnt do a very good show clip left lines even with new blades The Laubes cut beautiful, not a single clipper line.

WOW!!! I read through Rob's website and BOY I wish I could afford the cordless Laube's clipper!! Call me naive but I didn't really get what was so different between the other models of Laube's...I understand one is the next step up from the other but what's the real differences???

Latest posts

Back