Whats everyones plans for 2015 ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan - U r 2 funny!! And thanx for the compliments on DanD. He was kinda an unplanned surprise - though from parents that are both from tried and true american shetland lineage. Yes, I still have his dam and grand dam as well as 4 - 1/2 sisters and 2 - 1/2 brothers.

Defrosting doesn't seem in the cards right now. NC was hit hard this time and caught unprepared. No one knew this was going to hit this far south. There were over 267 accidents in Raleigh alone yesterday (several deaths) - not including some a little closer to home (1 right outside the vet clinic yesterday morning - while we were still open)... The roads were mostly clear when I arrived home yesterday - having just missed Julie I think... Took Larry almost 2 hours to only get part way home this am (roads had re-frozen and were slick) - he did stop at Wally World to get some staples we were getting low on (ahhhh - milk, bread, dog food - some other stuff - looks like he went a little crazy, LOL) BUT this is the normal time for us to stop for such things - not running due to the weather.

No work today and it's now melting like crazy out there (yet only 34*). I'm heading back outside to take care of some things.

Last edited by a moderator:
My plans for 2015 have been put on hold for a while.No water in house for 3 days& the freezing temps and snow made lots of extra work and my bad back and knees are screaming.That was last week.This week I have a terrible head cold and feel like crap.Get the critters done and come in and sleep most of the day before going back out to feed PM.My body is getting too old for this but I look on the positive side.During this mess we have always had heat and electric and water and feed and hay for the critters.It could be worse . Got to get better by Sunday March 8. My friend will be 101 on March 13 and we are celebrating her special day on March 8.Can't go if I'm still contagious.Don't want to give her a bad cold.

Bevann, Rest up & I hope you are feeling better and that you can make it to your friends special day, that is certainly a wonderful milestone and im sure she would want you there to celebrate with her
default_smile.png

Paula , Take care , mother nature sure knows how to make herself known at times....... Hoping things start to brighten up for you all soon.
default_smile.png

Here's an update on my list:

I had to miss the farming classes. The first one I missed because a family member had an accident that day. (He's fine, so is the other party. Minor damage to vehicles. It SCARED him though!)

DanD went to the gelding party on March 9th with his adopted brother Spanky. They commiserate and share the same pen now. Look for a new post on this forum. After I finish that I'll be completing #1 on my list.

The conditioning for Area 3 has started, I just need to get it on paper. Since Spanky is draft-type, that's how I'll be showing him. Since he is AMHA/AMHR, I may be able to show him in the AMHA stock class--we'll see how he shapes up.

How's everyone else doing on their lists?

Oh, and Ryan, what's a typical winter like in Australia??

P.S....Bevann, how'd the 101st birthday party go? Did you get to attend?

Last edited by a moderator:
The party went well, but I did not get to attend for fear of giving her what I am just now getting over somewhat.She had a great time with her son and grandchildren.I sent a gift- a book written by movie star Debbie Reynolds about her life.She loved it and her granddaughter posted her photo with the book on Facebook.The book has special meaning for her since her great niece, hypnotist and former soap star, Catherine Hickland is married to Todd Fisher, son of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. Catherine Hickland was performing at our DE State Fair for the last several years and in 2014 she brought her husband,Todd, to meet her great aunt.We all had a nice visit last July. Will be seeing my friend at Easter when the family gets together for dinner.I may visit her this week if I stop this awful cough.

I have always complained about winter in Australia, until this year........................ I don't got through anything like you all do in Winter and don't think ill complain ever again. Its cold and wet but the part of the country that I am from doesn't get snow so I don't deal with the conditions that you do.

Regarding my list , I finished curtaining the house. Didn't that turn out to be quite an expensive exercise. I also booked a holiday for May which will be nice. My vegie gardens are starting to look great. im learning bits and pieces every year for things that I will and wont do the following year. I will be picking the rest of the tomatoes and cherry tomatoes this week , then I will be putting busy getting it ready again to plant out in September. I have ummed and arred to whether I plant out some winter vegies but decided to wait and spend some time getting the beds ready and to build something around them. There will either be plenty of vegies this summer or if not plenty of rabbit stew. The rabbits have caused me grief this year. One day lovely looking butter lettuces, the next they were stripped and looked like Arugula.

Planted a few new palms , may have a pic on here somewhere , will have a look.

You all must be excited to be finally seeing some sunshine and that winter is finally coming to an end
default_smile.png

It was a mission to get it in the ground , very luck we have trucks with cranes on them.

We have four of the old trucks throughout the property , plan on running electricity to them so the headlights will light up at night.

Palms.jpg

I can't remember what all I put on my list, but... We got the rest of the new windows installed, residing put up, the soffet and faschia done, and I've painted the new drywall around the new windows. Interesting to try to match the old paint, but we came close. I picked a new color for the living room and dining room, it's grey with a hint of green, hubby doesn't like it, but I do. Just about have all the furniture moved back where it belongs.

Just re-read this. I HAVE A BOOK AGAIN!!

Winter OVER - HA! Supposed to only be 34* tonight and 25* again tomorrow night (IM in NORTH CAROLINA, folks!!). Have to look what it might get up to during the day tomorrow. Was 80* one day last week (can't even 'member which one). If I had planted anything like I was talking about with several people, my luck, EVERYTHING would have died. The folks I've visited with about it - thought I was crazy not planting yet - when we'd had the Spring Equinox and should have been fine (NOT). GLAD, glad, glad I didn't lose some $300 on plants again this year like I did year before last!

Pens have gotten done, feeding stations finally installed (and all ponies now being properly fed 1x daily - working on way to get them fed 2x daily), chickens have started laying again... The pollen started on all these pines (hubby says he's already tired of them "...having sex in public...") and the OPCD (spelling) mare (heaves) that also has cancer has dropped a massive amount of weight since starting to cough again 1.5 - 2 weeks ago. Spoke with the vet about it and we may be making the decision soon - daughter isn't really happy right now.

Ponies were supposed to start being groomed/worked 1st of March for show conditioning like Julie's. Right now, we've had 2 employees quit w/i a week of each other and my NO MORE than 35 hours/week job became almost 50 last week and I can't even see straight to do anything w/ the ponies. The pay is NICE but not worth it if I become sick from the work/stress. I was so tired last night that driving home after picking up feed was HARD. I sat down on a bale of hay in the boys feed shed and nodded off for about 20 minutes (hubby called me on phone looking for me - woke me up and I finished feeding). If I hadn't put in the request for the day off to take the ponies up to be castrated on the day I had, I would not have been able to take them. AS of right now, my request off is not being honored to GO TO THE AREA lll show...
default_sad.png
for the days ours would show. Could make it over the weekend. Right now, I'm too tired and FROZEN to worry about it. SCARED to think about sending in show entries. I can't afford to lose that $$ right now if we can't go.

Fencing to finish last pasture - not done. Missed getting the last pieces ordered today, so will need to wait another week. They seem to only be open until 4 pm and not open on Saturdays. None of the gates have been installed yet on wooden posts for any pastures - still temp roped up to metal T-Posts... sigh.

After several fiasco's with first our young shetland stallion (at previous property), then since moving with both the mini stallion and the young shetland stallion and then later with the young shetland stallion and "new" mini gelding, we will be changing the way the smaller pens are done AND probably the pasture as well - that's more important right now then any show is. I've already cancelled the show plans for the first weekend of April (my show peeps ARE MAD - this is a show I ran the show office for for last 4 years - helping for the 6 previous to that - & since I stepped down from running it - the ponies are supposed to be there). I need to be doing fencing and with weather, work schedules, illness and such - it hasn't gotten done. May have to go in and change the whole pasture - the panels simply aren't working on t-posts - the ponies are able to break the panels down no matter how they are strapped (haystring, paracord, 16 gauge steel wire, zip ties) when they are running and hit them hard enough. I'm tired of having to catch loose ponies that are where they aren't supposed to be. Every time I turn around, I'm finding where we will need to put up more wooden fence posts.

AND of course now - the mares (6) that were showing they'd been in heat AFTER the first "breakout" (2 hours on July 12th) .... well.... may be having some foals right around our 27th Anniversary in June - I HAVE NOT TOLD HUBBY YET. Mares have changed shape - we would be at 258 days today!! Starting on Mare Plus this weekend and may be changing to Mare/foal feed - haven't decided yet... Vet will be out on 18 April and we will be adding in checking mares now, too, along with the rest of Coggins/rabies vax and 2 teeth floats & 2 sets of wolf tooth extractions. I really do not like having foals in June/July/August here in NC. Would have preferred breeding the mares by my choice for 1st qtr of the year foals (best for us in Jan/Feb).

Due to Larry's (hubby) and Skye's (1st daughter) work schedules being packed - we changed days/times for family get together and celebration for their Bdays (51st & 25th). I was able to fit in a late/fast run to the Dixie Draft Horse Sale on Friday/Saturday last weekend (the 20/21st of March). Pics/link to gallery pics posted in the Driving Minis forum. Was able to pick up (rather than shipping) custom made driving lines in purple for a leader pair (yessss, guess I may be driving soon!), a child's western saddle (American made!), 2 western bits made for minis/shetlands (YEAH!
default_aktion033.gif
) and 3 new collars for the larger shetland mares. Made it home w/ time to spare (barely) to feed all the ponies, scrub/fill water tanks and do a very quick shower (was weird to be "dressed up") before going out - was a NICE celebration! Skye's first book has been received well (selling nicely) and deep in the writing of the 2nd in the series. Thought she mentioned the cover already being worked on - err - can't remember! Middle daughter, Madira, revealed that she had purchased tickets to Ireland for next year (2016) and is working on balance of applications for going to school at University of Glasgow for finishing out her degrees... Youngest daughter, Sierra, is also looking at doing applications to go back to school and do a more advanced degree in Computer Sciences/Programming to compliment what she already has and to improve chances of advancement with her electronics job (a good one, thank goodness for her).

Delivering a shet/mini mare on Sunday. She is being leased by same family leasing another mare from us. They are weaning their mare's foal and want another partner for the mare for at least two months. While down in their town (about 50 miles away), I will be stopping at another farm and looking at the litter of meat rabbits I've offered to purchase (8). Originally I wanted only 2 does, then changed my mind and asked if could have the whole littler... If we do take them all, we have to also get the cages built/hung for them (2 grow out cages for separate sex) and they will be ready to come home in 1-2 weeks. Was so excited to go - now not looking forward to the weather AT ALL. BRRRR...

8 ponies got their "pedicures" done today! Next appointment already cancelled and haven't been able to schedule a different day due to both farrier and my work schedule.
default_frusty.gif
Thought we'd be caught up.
default_frusty.gif
Think it's time to start looking for another farrier, too. Need one that can come every two weeks - on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (prefer Fridays)... Or split "duties" with current farrier - but times still the same.

Talked to Vicki tonight!! Wow - she's had lots going on in her life w/ her daughter (between mine & my oldest daughter's ages)... Looks like her daughter will be moving back in with Vicki while she's in a custody battle for her daughters. Long/drawn out affair... GREAT NEWS - Eclipse has started bagging up. She is bred to Oly - the 2011 colt we had shown in 2012/2013. He's now a gelding - so this will be his only foal. Eclipse is a maiden mare - been a long time since Vicki's had any foals. She's freaking out about it now... I will be over there too, this weekend (tomorrow?) and will start taking the broodie pics and will post about her progress over in the MareStare forum... Eclipse is due right around the middle of April. EXCITING TIMES ahead.

I don't remember ever being this tired before and this rain (freezing) today ... UGH... Can I shape-shift into an ostrich?

WOW Paula
default_smile.png
, Plenty going on for you at the moment , I am not surprised you are tired
default_smile.png

I have just ordered a heap of trees to be delivered bare rooted in June. We have planted a lot of trees since 2007. The maples we planted that line the driveway are by far my favourite but seem to have taken the biggest bashing due to the high winds we get. I really should have planted everything that would stand to be wind breaks and to give some protection to the trees and plants that don't tolerate the wind as much as others do. So Paula if that's the one bit of advice I can pass on to you , is to plant the trees that will bring you protection to others in the future
default_smile.png
Hoping the pines don't cause too many allergy problems for you all. I had a good chuckle reading how rude they are being in public
default_smile.png

Sorry to hear about your daughters pony that has heaves and cancer, I have a friend who has a little mare with heaves, flares up at the same time every year. terrible to see them cough the way they do.

Glad to hear that the weathers on the improve for you and extra excited about the possible baby news at your farm
default_smile.png

**********REVIVING AN OLD TOPIC**********

As we in the northern hemisphere are transitioning into autumn, and our friends like Ryan and new junior member Carly Rae ard enterin Spring, I thought it would be interesting to see how are plans are transitioning as well. For me, I'm updating by the numbers!

1) Done

2) Not done

3) See #5

4) 1/2 done, as I've mentioned DanD in other threads.

5) Changed priorities, as we bought a small property! ;-)

6) Turned into a small rose garden, will post pictures if anyone wants to see.

7) Bought a used machine, hopefully after servicing IT WILL WORK. LOL

8) I missed the first two (see previous post), was then notified it was cancelled due to the run of bad weather. So instead, I've joined the brand new Sandhills Small Ruminant Association in the county we purchased the property in.

I pulled this thread up because I needed to see if I've done ANYTHING this year, as I've been sitting on my castigate myself pitty pot today. Surprisingly, I HAVE accomplished some things! :-0

This helps me start into my lifestyle change with ammunition against FOF--fear of failure. My weight has crept up to 228 lbs. I have a mild seizure disorder, and weight over 200 lbs. lowers that threshold-they come more frequently. Also, coming into winter, I NEED to keep my committment to my board owner for the chores I do. Being out of shape and unhealthy is a barrier to that.

I have Systemic Lupus E...E....oh heck, I forgot how to spell what the E stands for. I'll fix it later. This summer I haved numerous flares. One I was transported to ER after a seizure. Another I had to have my right arm in a sling for two weeks. The recommended treatment involves steroids...AND I DON'T DO STEROIDS!! The side effects FAR outweigh the benefits. Anyway, my point to mentioning this is that as my weight has gone up, my activity level has dropped and I have more frequent/severe flares. Breathing issues, chest pain, mid-level joint pain. Seems like the less I do, the less I CAN do. I'm too young and have too many plans to be like this.

Additionally, my blessing of a husband has made it very, very clear that by not taking care of ME, I'm not taking care of HIM. He has plans for us to be together a looong time, (we've only been married since February of 2010) and I need to be here for him.

So that's what brought me back to this thread! :) I want to lose***strike that***I'm LOSING 40 lbs. by December 31, 2015. I have other plans too, which I'll add here later this week.

So what do y'all have to update??

Julie,

I'm glad you revived this thread, as you said, for me its been a little hard due to winter to be able to get out and complete the outdoorsy things. I have managed to curtain the rest of the house and id like to think im sticking to the work/life balance.

Its funny you decided to post in this today, I was only thinking yesterday what I had written at the start of this thread and actually how much I had ticked off. Funny also because this weekend was the first time Ive been able to think that "Summer is coming". The weather was lovely Saturday, so much so I ordered 6m of mulch to re do the garden at the front of the house. ( Ill add a pic to "hows everyones gardens doing "

Im sorry to read of your health problems. Sending best wishes to you
default_smile.png

Best of luck accomplishing "FOF" , I believe you can and will do it ,

Take Care Ryan

Well, I didn't put it on my list, but as soon as it's warm enough, I have to stain our new wood siding we just put up. Don't know if it'll wait til warmer weather, or if I'll be doing it while it's still somewhat cold out. I hate painting, but it has to be done.

I'd like to breed a couple mares this year, it's been 3 years since my last foals were born.

I need to paint my gelding shelter.

I'm sure the list will grown, but I really can't think of anything right now.
I did get the house stained, too me like 10 days, cause I could only handle painting for about 4-5 hours, which is how long it took to put 1 gallon on. "Raw" wood sucks up lots of stain.

I turned Topper out with 4 mares, I hope he got his job done. I haven't noticed anyone back in, but that doesn't mean they caught.

got pictures taken for the boys 3 year permanent papers, just need to measure them, and get it done.

This isn't chore related...but after today I have two weeks off. We are heading south to visit my sister in NC (with a pit stop in WV at a little cabin in the woods), then heading back north to PA to visit the inlaws for a couple days. After that we are heading further north towards home and renting a cabin for a few days on Lake Michigan and going salmon fishing (my favorite), then back to our camp for a few days.

We didn't really vacation this year because of my old dog (17)...he is going with us though and I hope he makes the trip ok...it's a lot of running around for him but he loves to ride in the car. The dogs will be staying at a kennel for 3 days but it's by my sisters house and it's the Taj Mahal...the kennel the three will be sharing looks just like a living room, 15x20...it has a big TV, couches they can sleep on with access to a fenced in area outdoors all to themselves, they put the dog channel on for them and take them on a golf cart ride daily and they get a doggie ice cream cone...they may not want to leave. It's expensive as all get out...more than I pay for hotels for ourselves but it's the only way I didn't feel guilty. Plus I can pull up a website on my phone and see them anytime I want through a camera.

Sonya, enjoy yourself here in NC. If you're going to be here the week of Sept. 3-7, Equestrian Exchange is having a big tack sale in Raleigh. If you're going to be here Sept. 15-20, Arabian Sport Horse Nationals is going to be in Raleigh as well. (Just wanted you to have a horse itinerary available....if you wanted it...
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
) Oh, just so you know, I've been infected with the "Enabler Virus". I believe it's rampant here in NC.
default_risa_suelos.gif

Lol, thank you Dragon's Wish....I will be back home those dates. I don't have horses anymore, but I'm sitting here on my sister's back porch watching hers. My sister lives in Jackson Springs, not too far from Raleigh...her and my niece both have horses and my nephew is a farrier, I will be sure and tell them about those events if they don't already know.

Latest posts

Back