No more hustle and bustle for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Used to be a time when I loved the hustle and the bustle of the holidays but no more of that for me. I used to set up a calender on the fridge which everyone ignored so I ended up exhausted every year and usually come down sick from being an over achiever. I worked so hard and stressed so much I'd find myself still shopping on Christmas Eve, wrapping presents, doing laundry, cleaning the house, checking light outages all in the middle of the night. I've been run ragged for years and lets just say Christmas time passed me by every year. Not this year!

I explained the situation to Mr.Retirement that I wanted to sit back and ENJOY for a change! He'll usually put off whatever he can for as long as he can, but seems like he's on target with me on this. So I set goals:

I've had my cards made, addressed and ready for mail since the first week of November.

I have a few gifts that have to be sent out of state so I purchased them Halloween week, wrapped them and have them also ready to mail.

We have about 200 strands of lights to put up and Mr. Retirement went through every single one of them and fixed the outages this weekend. Then he mowed the yard which we always do to prepare it for our lights.

I did check and get the lights up in the barn last week and the lights up on the fence last week too. Its a start.

Meanwhile, I did buy a few gifts for my granddaughter, and have them all wrapped already but I did not go to Black Friday. I'll have to take my chances now to find a good deal.

This week I plan on outside decorating, inside decorating, buying the tree, and gift shopping for the family all by December 1. I also have the horses scheduled for their last mani-pedi of the year tomorrow. Then all my goals have been realized and I can sit back in my chair and actually ENJOY the season.... wrap presents at my leisure doing a good Hallmark movie, make some fudge when I feel like it and get ribbons on the Prancers two at a time instead of all at once!

Hmmmmmmm gotta wonder how this plan is going to work out! .

Good for you Marty. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and smell the roses.
default_smile.png
I'm always the peron videotaping or snapping pictures whenever we go somewhere or do something. So most of what I experience is through the viewfinder. We went to Disneyland last month and for the first time ever I took less then fifty pictures. I actually got a chance to experience being somewhere without capturing everything on film. It's nice to settle down and experience something without the usual craziness.
default_smile.png

Good for you Marty, I used to be one of those insane Moms too. I had five kids, horses, dogs, cats, whatever, and still need to feel like Christmas had to be perfect. I know it was appreciated but by the time the big day arrived I was sore, sick and worn out.

There does come a day when you just have to say enough. Now I hardly decorate at all, just enough that the little grand kids can have fun. Shopping is at a minimum, money is short. I still have a spark, and a twinkle in my eye, but it is all about love now and not things given or received, or about how clean the house is or how decorated. I also no longer spend days in the kitchen baking cookies, not worth, just a few that the grandkids can take home to share. Grand kids are coming this weekend to put up my tree, and it is just a little tiny table top one. They can decorate as they wish, crooked, crazy, whatever, and I won't change a thing. I've gotten to the point where I love how they do it and it is done! After all, I say Happy Birthday Jesus, this is for you.

Well I used to get worn out just READING what you did!! It's good to see that you have been able to take the road of many of us and not feel you had to do all that you did.....not that it wasn't fun and appreciated but, times changes. About 3 yrs ago my family decided (well, I did) that there would be NO gift exchange except for the G-kids. Just no reason to pass around that same $$ (most of which I spent, not my 2 kids!) and I basically "retired" from employments and many of the "mom" duties. Hey, my kids are 43 & 46, so not an issue
default_whistling.gif
and it works great. I haven't been doing any heavy decorating for about 5 yrs, it just slacked off each year until I now put up a small table tree -- maybe a wreath.

You know what? We have a nice Christmas, no stress with buying ($$ or decisions), wrapping, etc. I fix a meal that can be eaten whenever & if ever anyone wants it (Lasagna this yr, prepared ahead), a cheese tray, etc. We have a nice day, visit, maybe have a glass of wine and all relax. Things have gotten too commercial over the years. It's time to ease off.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been a hectic year for us, so much so that my christmas tree and all my decorations were never put away from last year. LOL. I am one up on everybody this year, all I had to do was dust the christmas things and plug in the lights and we are ready for Christmas earlier than ever before. LOL. Still gotta figure out where the stockings went. Only thing I put away, hmmmm. Something to be said for having Christmas all year. I lost my job after 32 years last year 5 days after Christmas on my birthday, and now I am dairy farming full time with my husband. Some things are more important than doing things by the book and being organized and tidy. The kids think it is great. It is a bit odd but who cares. Life is important and too short. Bought our first barbeque grill this week. Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOUR "NON" hustle and bustle description has me worn out! If you get restless with "Mr. Retirement".....Come on over! ROFL.

All I can promise is that we'll have some lights up on our fence line in front of the house......a tree up and decorated....and by Christmas EVE, presents under the tree and those that need to be sent, mailed.......

Oh, and I can guarantee a nice dinner for who ever shows up. .........Beyond that.......Join us and deal with it!

Here's my leisurely update: I went Christmas shopping yestarday to the big city all by myself. (That was an amazing accomplishment because for the last 6 years I've been unable to go anywhere of of town alone due to panic attacks. I used my dog Amy to help me overcome that and finally this year I've finally been able to venture out alone now). So, to keep things from getting nuts, I confined my shopping trip this time to my grand baby Little Lexie. I took my time in every baby department going through clothing, I could find. of course I had to play with a few toys, smell a few candles, and jingle a few bells along the way and wave at Santa in the Mall, I made my purchases and took my happy self to lunch. On the way home I turned on my radio to find a station that was playing Christmas music. It was a very good trip No rush, no stressing. Next trip I'll shop for Dan and Ashley so I can take my time again. I admit I must have looked a bit queer candle sniffing.........Fa La La La La

That's the way I do it... I LOVE all the "stuff" around the holidays, but I spread it out over the year. I shop year round with a "done by December 1st" deadline. Most of my stuff is wrapped. Photos for cards taken in September and mailed out right before thanksgiving.

December is for decorating, baking, and listening to Christmas music... No extra stress on me or my bank account for the holidays!!!

Its been a hectic year for us, so much so that my christmas tree and all my decorations were never put away from last year. LOL. I am one up on everybody this year, all I had to do was dust the christmas things and plug in the lights and we are ready for Christmas earlier than ever before. LOL. Still gotta figure out where the stockings went. Only thing I put away, hmmmm. Something to be said for having Christmas all year. I lost my job after 32 years last year 5 days after Christmas on my birthday, and now I am dairy farming full time with my husband. Some things are more important than doing things by the book and being organized and tidy. The kids think it is great. It is a bit odd but who cares. Life is important and too short. Bought our first barbeque grill this week. Life is good.
I LIKE IT!!!!!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back