Whats everyone got planned for 2016 ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
Whats everyone got planned for the year ahead ?

I spent a lot of 2015 working to get gardens done at home. I accomplished most of them but there are still a few of the smaller projects to get done before the better weather ends.

So What id like to achieve this year:-

Finish planting trees throughout the remainder of the property

Pull the fences down and redo the paddocks in the back 5 acres

Quit Smoking

Increase my fitness

More time in the saddle

Breed my little mares (x2) for 2018 foals

Buy a camera as I really like taking photos of nature and the different Sunsets at home

Gather all of the photos that have been taken of our property from Purchase date in Aug 2007 till now & put together a movie of how far we have come.

A vacation to Vietnam

Time with Family and friends

Wishing you all good health and fortune in 2016
default_smile.png

I have a two day trip to Paris booked

2 week vacation to Croatia

Foal due in July

I plan to breed my own mare

Show stallion at all the local shows and get him driving a bit more

I would LIKE to try a small show with my riding horse, but im just so darn nervous in the saddle that anything out of my comfort zone is next to impossible...but i will try
i gave up smoking on friday, i have a "e-cig" that im using but only a little.

id like to get fitter but im just a lazy blob lol

Um, Ryan, if your plan is to bred your two little mares; wouldn't it be for 2017 foals. Your goal was for this year, but you sald foals would be 2018 foals. Maybe your talking about elephants. LOL!!!

our goal is to get moved to Missouri, please, this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have:

Fishing/Camping in May

Fishing/Camping in June

Fishing/Camping in September

And a Cruise in October.

Then water skiing/camping every 2 weeks

And what I want to achieve:

Get a job

Get through grade 11
default_ohnoes.jpg

Loose weight.

Redo all the horse yards.

I may have a foal in a few months.

I cant think of much else haha. Hope everyone has a great 2016!

My husband and I are planning to seed down approx. 80 acres of corn ground into hay field, maybe drill in more teft and sudan grass. Since corn prices suck so bad right now, we know we can feed/sell grass. Picking up the rocks is quite an undertaking.

I plan to finish converting the calf barn into a pony barn. I have about 10 more stalls to go, then I just have to put up the siding.

I need to fix the roof over the cow maternity box stall, it did not handle the snow load last winter. I got the phone company to give me about 20 telephone poles, so now I can finally start the repairs.

I want to put in a sand arena, since we just ride on the grass or in our sand round pens now. I got several truck loads of street sweeping sand dumped here so maybe I will actually get somewhere with this peoject. I told my husband that I would even settle for a sand track around the grass arena.

I want to repaint the calf sheds, since they lick everything most of the paint has worn off.

I need to wire lighting into my last two stalls in the stable.

I want to raise more meat birds this year, ao I need to fix up the turkey coop to accommodate more birds.

I want to show some of my birds this fall, I haven't done this since I was a kid. I have to call the vet to see what I need to do to bring the flock to the fair.

Lastly, I want to move and expand my rabbitry. I bought 4 rows of 10 hanging cages with feeders, hay racks and waterers from a neighbor. I need to wire brush the cages and paint them. I plan to hang them up in the old milking parlor so I can keep the rabbits brooding regardless of the weather outside.

I doubt I will accomplish even a fraction of this list, as there is always something going on here to keep my away from my work. As I type this, I see some of my cows are loose...yup, Ginger is stairing at me thru the sliding glass door. Now I have to go chase cows. Guess I'll get to the list tomorrow.

If my husband had his way...Ginger would go into the freezer. But as long as I can get her to follow me back into the cows yard before he notices she was out, she'll be ok. I do love those cow commercials though, too funny.

I have made a conscious decision to compliment and encourage my husband more.

Taking some pounds off our little Chihuahua CindyMouse is a top priority. She is for sure a rotund one. Looks like a football with a tiny head attached. We have cut her meal portions in half and stand guard over her friend Pattycake's dish to stop her from stealing her food. Since she is such a contortionist on a halter and lead we are going to take her to PetSmart and find something she cannot wiggle out of to take her on walks.

I have innumerable projects and goals to work on. To help me not fall off track so much I purchased a Day-Timer weekly/monthly planner. It is the FamilyPlus version. Instead of using the columns for family members I use all on myself and have categorized them into these:

Water and herbal tea intake: Sounds crazy but if I put it in black and white I force myself to drink more water. Love my herbal teas. Some help my digestion and acid reflux, some energize, some help me sleep, and some just taste good or warm me up. I read drinking two cups of brewed green tea a day could take off 10 pounds in a year.

Breakfast: Track it so I will eat a big meal to start the day in order to avoid unhealthy snacking temptations.

Supplements and vitamins: They do not do me any good if I forget to take them. List it. Hopefully I will use up what I have and start relying on food to meet most needs. Going to stay on probiotics. Had a miserable time with diverticulitis earlier this year.

Walk, etc.: Now that I am retired (YAY!!!) there is literally no excuse not to walk 45 minutes a day. Our road is a paved dead end one so there is no excuse. I even like walking late at night. It does my inner Moonchild good. I also have a treadmill in the back room WHICH would likely get used it I would clean that room of the clutter and put the spare TV on the wall in front of the treadmill. The etc part is using our much loved Back to Life Machine more, using heated herbal pillow/wrap more, and cleaning the sinuses more with the netti pot. Also three times a day doing ten keegels (pretty sure that is not how it is spelled but if I do this I should not have to drop my jeans to pee in the barn so often). Sorry for too much info but ladies over 50 get it, no doubt.

Lunch: Keeps me from going overboard if I put it in black and white. Also gives me a jumpstart to prep for supper.

Read/listen/watch: If I am slacking on devotionals and Bible readings it helps me to take more time. I am tuning into DayStar and Women's Bible Study more on the Roku. Also getting healthy recipes watching IFood. I am trying to read more history and informative articles. Also have Pandora playing more on TV since music is a good free pick me up and I am constantly finding new artists to enjoy along with the oldies.

The planner also has areas to list and check off for Errands/To Do's and other helpful and convenient pages.

My list of things to do on the property would turn into a novel.....to be continued.

If my husband had his way...Ginger would go into the freezer. But as long as I can get her to follow me back into the cows yard before he notices she was out, she'll be ok. I do love those cow commercials though, too funny.
Haha. Don't know if you have seen the Poo-pourri commercials. But there is one where the lady is surrounded by cows. You can find them easily on a search or youtube. Warning: The commercials are so offensive and juvie even sometimes ridiculously hilarious.

find a new house for myself, dogs, cats, and birds. I have lost count of how many I have looked at since I started this quest. One today is a solid possible for sure!

Sell 3 of my 4 remaining minis since I am moving to town.

RETIRE!!!! I have my 30 years in with the state of Ohio so am ready to go. Need life to stabilize first. Losing my brother in the spring and this huge change in lifestyle are enough stress for right now. Once life has settled it will be time to retire.

seems like I had so many things listed last year at this time and so few of them seemed to actually get done... between work, taking care of critters and having so many drs appointments...

Some of the things that did get accomplished in 2015 -

the round pen is finished.

the middle stall of the shed row has been partially set up (not done yet) - can now get ponies in to it under the lights for night time grooming, hoof trimming or harness/unharness.

The 2 hoop coops were moved into better positions - from the middle of the pasture to somewhat behind the shed row barn, closer to water and partially set for cold/bad weather.

sooo 2016 -

1 - Really need to properly tarp the hoop coops for better protection - especially if this wind keeps up.

2 - Need to finish the other chicken pens behind the house - started the project then did other things! (actually have a lot of projects started, not finished yet)

3 - set up a plan and start working with ponies. Need to get the ones that are trained back into shape and the ones who aren't trained yet, going!

4 - Meet w/ "someone" who can help me figure out which trees need to stay, which need to go - to start getting our "forest paths" done for driving ponies/draft wagons and riding. The plan is to drop trees on the trails (parallel w/) and then use the ponies to "log them out" - to a place where they can be cut/stacked near the house for firewood and other usable wood.

5 - Actually process the birds that I say/said I'm going to. Due to weather being pretty miserable, I didn't get the birds done (maybe I should have just done them in the house?). 2 days before we had good weather, a predator got into the pasture. We think it was a loose (starving) dog, but not really sure (our dogs were inside at the time). We went from 21 chickens to 9 chickens. All 5 of those Roosters will go, but for right now, they still seem to be in shock (not good eating that way) and they are protecting the 4 girls that are left
default_crybaby.gif
Not sure how we could have protected from this - after I left for work @ 0630 (birds let out in the main pasture where they free range during the day) and before Larry got home in the morning by 0830. The birds were a mess, but not "taken" nor eaten... And bodies "strewn" all over the whole 7 acres! The young birds that don't free range, weren't bothered in their coop/pen. Someone said it could have been hawks - but i have serious problems with that. Hawks have been around quite a bit - never see them at dawn. Also, since the birds are used to "calling" & then "hiding" when they see hawks - I truly don't think it was. I could be wrong. I miss the "shrugging shoulder emoticon" !! O I found this one another page -
hu.gif

Much more!

Vickie Gee - "Also three times a day doing ten keegels (pretty sure that is not how it is spelled but if I do this I should not have to drop my jeans to pee in the barn so often). Sorry for too much info but ladies over 50 get it, no doubt."

Kegels are great, but I solved the other issue, too! A camping toilet (that composts, doesn't use water) works GREAT and not just for us "oldsters"...

Hmm, not sure why the size/type changed but trying to "play with it" makes it do other strange things...

Paintpony, if the chickens were just left and not taken, that is usually a dog or dogs. They kill for sport, not food. We had several geese and chickens killed at once by dogs. They didn't eat them. Coyotes and hawks would take one and either run or fly away. They don't stick around.

I plan on coming up with a house plan for when we move to the mountains
default_yes.gif
in Arkansas. I stay on Zillow and Craigs List way too much window shopping for property whether it is just land or land with a home. Chances are when the time comes that we can go we probably will not find the perfect place with all our "gotta haves" and "must not haves". I am going to remain hopeful we will find the land and then eventually build. ​I am trying to keep the dream alive by looking at ideas on Pinterest for certain areas of the home. We don't wish to keep up with the Jones; we just have certain ideas of what would suit us. My husband's biggest request is a screened in room or porch. I want comfort, uniqueness, warmth, workability in a kitchen, closet space,
default_yes.gif
and we both want a view and seclusion.

Another thing I want to do is spend time pulling out family photos and displaying those memories more. Also need to obtain more new ones.

I don't shop much any more and have gotten to the point of trying to avoid it as much as possible. But this year Christmas really did sneak up on me so I am putting up $1.50 in change every day. A clerk at TSC sort of gave me the idea when she told me she uses one of those little water trough gift card holders to daily save her change in and at the end of the year has enough for presents. Also if I can remember to when I check out at grocery store say yes to cash back and take $5 each time and put it away. Constantly watching for bargains on need items. Last week at the local hardware I got a Wusthof 6" cooks knife for $39.99 which is normally between $120 and $150 no matter where you shop. I have never owned anything but cheap as far as knives and considered this found treasure. It will also be a trip to ER if I am not careful. Keeping treasure hunting in mind perhaps by next Christmas I can come up with some good gifts. Past Christmas in addition to regular gifts I gave my sons' families each 4 nice towels from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I never knew new towels could cause so much excitement! The stories that were told about their old worn out ones were hilarious. These are the quick dry kind and everyone was picking out their color. I also gave my in-laws 4 when they moved back in November. My mil was over the top about them! The towels have made me try to plan on saving and shopping for gifts that are appreciated.

I've enjoyed reading all your plans for the new year. Mine isn't so happy, our farrier says its time say goodby to our old horse, so this spring that will be the plan, to put our friend to rest. We aren't going to replace him so that means I will be looking to place Seven in a loving home. I 'm contacting the local rescue and ask for her help, no way am I listing him on Craigs list. Then we will put our home for sale and move into the city, closer to our daughter and doctors.

Latest posts

Back