What's better to feed, nutritionally wise?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Horse Lover

Reaction score
For those who feed one of these two feeds what do you feel is better Equine Jr. or Strategy, nutritionally wise? One of our local feed stores carry both, Strategy is cheaper. I've been getting the Equine Jr. for about $18 per bag, if I bought Strategy I'd be saving a few bucks per bag.

So should I just keep feeding Equine Jr. or would it be okay to switch over to Strategy (as far as nutrition, etc.)?

What do you guys like about Equine Jr. and Strategy? For those who feed one or the other. What's the good/bad things about each that you like/dislike?

It's for my two boys Spirit and Ruckus, they are yearlings (Spirit will be turning two in July). They will just be used for therapy and such so nothing thats like too strenuous or anything. They get free choice good quality grass hay along with their grain.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!
default_smile.png

I prefer EQuine Jr as it is a complete feed and already has beet pulp and alfalfa in each pellet. But it does also depend on the age of the horse. We feed jr to foals thru their yearling year and switch them when they turn 2.

If you have a local farmer's co-op kind of feed store, you may be able to get a really good local mix complete senior OR junior feed for less and not loose any of the quality you find in Purina. Our local co-op sells a complete senior feed, which my vet, equine nutritionist and myself all feel is an excellent choice for young horses. It is formulated by Kentucky Equine Research and licensed out to local feed mills. Some of the Nation's most valuable horses eat KER formulated feeds. I like what I can read about it a little better than Purina and it's 20% less expensive per bag.

Over the years, I have been a huge fan of complete feeds and they are the foundation of our feed program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer EQuine Jr as it is a complete feed and already has beet pulp and alfalfa in each pellet. But it does also depend on the age of the horse. We feed jr to foals thru their yearling year and switch them when they turn 2.

Okay, thanks, so when you switch them when they turn 2, what do you switch them to?

If you have a local farmer's co-op kind of feed store, you may be able to get a really good local mix complete senior OR junior feed for less and not loose any of the quality you find in Purina. Our local co-op sells a complete senior feed, which my vet, equine nutritionist and myself all feel is an excellent choice for young horses. It is formulated by Kentucky Equine Research and licensed out to local feed mills. Some of the Nation's most valuable horses eat KER formulated feeds. I like what I can read about it a little better than Purina and it's 20% less expensive per bag.
Over the years, I have been a huge fan of complete feeds and they are the foundation of our feed program.

Okay, thanks, I'll check into that too.
default_smile.png

We feed both - our geldings and stallion get Strategy, our yearling filly gets Equine Jr.

We feed Equine SR to our biggie mare.

Both Equine Sr and Jr have the Athlete energy pellet. Strategy doesn't have it. I think both Jr and Sr put a little more shone on the coat than Strategy. All are complete pelleted feeds with little waste. We will feed Jr to our filly for another year yet ane then switch her over to Strategy.

We had fed Platform, but switched over the winter when it became really hard to order in at our feed store. I am happy with the way our horses look after the switch.

In your case, I think it's just what you like.

Here's the link to Purina Mills products for your comparison. Click on the picture of the feed.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/complete_list.asp

What we switch them to kinda depends on what they are doing. Show/breeding horses are put on Purinas Horsemens Edge 12 percent protein pelleted feed. If they are just idle and at good weight they just get really good hay and pasture.

When it comes to younger horses I like to feed them a good feed that has quite a bit of protien. I do think the Equine Jr. may be better, but also when it comes down to price, I would switch to Stategey. Just make sure if you are feeding the Equine Jr. and you switch over to give them plenty of hay since the Jr. is a complete feed. Also perhaps another good reason to switch over now is because Purina is changing Equine Jr. and who knows what the price could be then.

Latest posts

Back