Difficult Keeper Feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
My 20 yo gelding has become difficult to keep weight on. He's had his teeth done by an equine dentist regularly and is wormed as needed. He gets grass hay 2x per day with the rest of the minis and he gets just over 1/2# if senior feed per day. I'm switching to Nutrena Safe Choice today. I liked it better than what I have now.

Should I up his grain? Start him on beet pulp?
His coat has dulled the last year as well.

How big is he? What are the directions for feed you want to feed him?
Personally, I don't care for Safe Choice; mine didn't like the Original and the Special Care made my sensitive mare footy (not sure what ingredient she is sensitive to).
My smallest is 31", 175#, has crappy teeth (even for old man teeth), so he's on an all bagged feed diet. In winter, he get 2.5 quarts (2.75#) senior (regional brand that is readily available, complete diet formulation), 1/2-3/4# hay cubes (timothy balance or tim/alf mix depending on his current preference), and access to bagged chopped tim/alf hay; in summer, he gets one meal of dry Purina Active Senior (it's not a complete senior, so fed in smaller amounts with forage - 4oz for breakfast), PM soaked meal of 1.5 quarts of regional senior and 1/2-3/4# hay cubes plus the chop is available. Only recently started this particular summer feed program, he's not a big eater in the AM in summer, as he wants out on grass, so a more concentrated feed is in order at this time.

For our kids needing to gain weight we do a simple diet. (We measure in cups, not pounds for grain.) 1. Plenty of grass hay, 2 to 4 lbs depending on the size of your mini, and access to forage if possible. 2. Four to 6 cups of a complete Senior (the higher fat & protein content the better. Not the cheap stuff.). 3. Four to 6 cups regular 14 percent grain...we feed a locally made brand. 4. Two cups Alfalfa Pellets (if the horse has ancient oldster teeth, it's nice to soak these before mixing them in.) ** These amounts are for TWICE A DAY. **

I have mixed feelings about Beet Pulp... There aren't the nutrients in it I like, so I consider it mostly a filler.

Have you had him tested for cushings/insulin resistance? Weight loss can be an indicator of a metabolic problem.
Have you tried increasing his hay? I've had pretty good luck with timothy pellets and a couple of teaspoons of oil when they need a little extra something.
I'm not crazy about beet pulp. Had one big horse choke on it (it was soaked) and my ponies/minis just don't do well on it, lot's of digestive issues.

Latest posts

Back