What would you like to see changed at AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a long way to go, but when the time is right to go to Nationals we will make the trek!
default_aktion033.gif

When it comes to placing in each class...an idea is from the Scottsdale Arabian show and that is to name all the top ten. No order at all and then finally name the Reserve and Reserve Champion. I had never seen this done before and it makes sense.
default_yes.gif

As to the size of the driving classes. They really should be split up as this is eventually going to cause an accident that nobody wants. Also the classes going on way into the night. Have more horses, just add another day...sounds like it's needed.
default_wink.png

As to ribbons and Trophies I think since this "IS" the American Miniature National Show they shoud buy "THE BEST" ...It would mean a lot to many people and it would also show to the Membership that THEY and their Horses are important to AMHR!
default_yes.gif

Just my thoughts,

Jenny

Could sure use a place to work horses on Golf cars. A designated place, even during certain times would sure help. Other then that I'm good....Love Nationals!!!! I do agree about breaking up the amateur classes differently to help the new people.

I've already put in my two cents worth, but something else came to mind. One suggestion for saving time would be to make it that you should have entered a class at the local or area level before trying it out at Nationals. By the time you get to National you should have already practiced at home, and been in your class to see how you stack up before getting to the National Show. I have been to National many times, and I'll take Liberty class for example, you get to the show and the program tells you there are lets say 20 horses entered in A liberty, this class is held at night, by the time you get to this class there are 40 horses entered, as some think they will give it a try and have not ever done this class before. They go in the ring, then it takes 10 people 15 minutes to catch the horse, this takes a lot of time.

On the driving classes I have seen many near accidents because the class had novice as well as seasoned drivers, they should add a Novice class for drivers in their first three years of driving.

Also as someone else said, they have a really big ring on the other side of the show facility, they could put some none rated classes in there during futurity, or have like she said the obstacle and jumping classes, that would save time.

I agree with desiree be careful what you ask for. Congress keeps moving every year and it has really hurt attendance. With no way to know and plan for it, makes it hard to attend. I am hoping Congress will get a real home soon. The board did vote to let members who have shown in one of the last 5 congress shows vote to say where they want it. This is how they finally settled the AMHR Nationals debate when it moved to Tulsa.

The novice proposal did not make it through the spring board meeting
default_sad.png
A proposal will be coming up at convention to pass a novice program. Please let your directors know that this is something you want and if you are going to convention please vote!

One thing I would like to see is the Driving Stakes class more prestegious and not just the last classes of the show so everyone has pretty much gone home. Also I would like to see better awards but I also like the fact that they keep their prices low for people to enter in many classes if they want too.

I agree with announcing the winners starting with 10th, 9th..etc...it builds such EXCITEMENT in the hearts of the competitiors and the crowd too...REALLY makes a difference. We all want to feel special...every single person in that ring is hoping for a chance to win or at least place...and by calling out 10th, 9th, etc...it just makes it BIGGER and BETTER...more of a true CELEBRATION by the time you get to 1st place.

As you can see from these posts, people really love the AMHR Nationals...and while you may think why change it...there is always room for improvement and new zest that keeps things interesting and strong...that is the 'customer service' and it doesnt cost money.

Nationals is a great show, and I have no real "complaints" as such but would like to see better awards at this caliber show. Awards cost money, and we all gripe when fees go up....I haven't seen the budget but with the number of entries Nationals pulls in now seems they could afford to do a little better. I love the idea of a novice program, or splitting amateurs...some kind of breakdown for less experienced exhibitors.

The problem with moving the show around is not necessarily just finding a good arena elsewhere, but finding one that isn't booked way ahead and that will give you a year to year option. The big venues like having a long term contract. Most horse breeds big and small have moved to having their National or World shows in a constant, central location - north Texas and Oklahoma probably have 90% of the biggest shows now.

Jan

In fact I actually did get hit twice by other drivers, one of which resulted in an accident, luckily both incidences were in the hitching ring rather than the show ring, but it was still quite offputting.
What is a hitching ring?
default_unsure.png

What is a hitching ring?
default_unsure.png

Since she was talking about AMHR Nationals, I would assume she was referring to the warm up arena right outside the gate at Nationals. It is small and gets very crowded. If you are not used to driving (a lot) it can be very intimidating. There is another arena for practicing that is bigger and over one building. The area outside the arena is more to wait and take one lap to get your horse in "frame". Some people keep driving around and around and abuse it. Some trainers use it to "rev up" their horses and that's unsettling especially to those not used to it or that disagree with it.

As far as "hitching ring" it is not encouraged to hitch in that area but often it is used to do a quick change between horses using the same cart or to change from one type of cart to another.

Nationals is a great show.I look forward to going every year. The awards could be a little better,they are kind of a let down compared to World. It would be nice if they didn't have all the driving classes so late at night . Maybe one or two days let the people showing halter have to show late and then have some driving during the day. the reason there are so many add ons in Liberty is that a lot of people only enter minimum classes so they don't have to send all the money up front. If something comes up and you can't go to Nationals you are out all that money. Alot of people only pre enter one class and pay for that class and the stalls. When they get there then they add their other classes. Overall it is so much fun, although it is pretty exhausting.

Since she was talking about AMHR Nationals, I would assume she was referring to the warm up arena right outside the gate at Nationals. It is small and gets very crowded. If you are not used to driving (a lot) it can be very intimidating. As far as "hitching ring" it is not encouraged to hitch in that area but often it is used to do a quick change between horses using the same cart or to change from one type of cart to another.
Oh.

I was concerned that you all were required to put to in some little space, which would be a recipe for disaster!
default_new_shocked.gif
A bunch of horses in a semi-controlled state with all forms of half-hitched carts would be a mess (i.e. some horses with only harnesses, others with one trace or the other, others with only traces and not wrap straps, etc.).

I have shown both Worlds and Nationals and I love them both, but in all probability my future will be more AMHR oriented. I have found that the AMHR National show is a bit more people friendly, a smidge more laid-back, the dinners at night are a great occasion to get together and meet new people since everyone seems to find their way there for the meal. Liberty night is always a hoot and the crowd REALLY gets into it.

What would I change;

Well, the splits in the large driving classes are a must - someone (horse or person) is going to be hurt one of these day with the size of the classes increasing and the "tempo" being stepped up as it has been the last few years.

I would also add GRAND driving classes (yeah, like AMHA
default_wink.png
) which I think would really give the driving horses something to boast about vs winning Stakes which pretty much anyone can enter if they pay the fee.

I would love to see AMHR place the class from 10th to 1st - the anticipation just kills us, but it is SOOOOO worth it in the end
default_yes.gif

I also wish AMHR would turn the horses so that they profile to the crowd vs having us all look at the trainer's fannies - NO offense intended - there are some TERRIFIC fannies out there, but really, we are there to see the horses and lined up the way they do doesn't give us a good view of them.

Would love to have the Champ & Res ribbons be neck sashes and the Grand & Res Grand really fancy neck sashes -- when you come out of a National show with a Champion or Res Champion and all you get is a blue/red rosette with a single streamer it is kind of a slap - we give nicer ribbons at our local shows - and this is THE BIG DEAL
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I can't speak to amateaur because I am too much of a chicken to get out there, but I understand how hard the ammy's work (especially those that do it all themselves) and it would be nice to recognize their efforts with more options to show more equally.

As far as rotating, I understand why it just really isn't feasible - of course it would be nice - it is a 3 day/14 hrs per day drive for us from the NW to get there (2600 miles
default_no.gif
), but in all reality it probably won't happen, so I save my vacation days and my pennies in hopes of being able to get there.

For me, the option of STILL being able to show my horse if it measures over it's Under height class is a HUGE reason to stick with AMHR - if my horse were to measure over by just a smidge at AMHA - all the money & time spent would be down the drain.

I also love to watch the Over horse division - the elegance, power and action that they bring to the National show just gives me chills.

I am saving my pennies & vacation days in hopes of being able to get there this year! ! !
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Stacy

"Hitching" ring is a universal horse show term for the ring right outside the gate where entries assemble - and has little or no reference to actual "hitching" anymore.
default_smile.png

I agree that the awards are tacky for such a big show - that many entries can certainly sustain better awards. Cheap stickers that say National Grand Champion on a cheap "silver" tray are not the way to go IMO.

The Driving Stakes classes at the end should be actual Driving Championship classes - the show always seems to end with a whimper instead of a bang. Maybe the Senior Stallion classes could be the last night instead of having everything slowly unravel after that...

It is stressful for the horses and exhibitors to still be showing at 1 or 2 in the morning - not to mention the show staff- and when that can easily be avoided by having jumping/hunter or another obstacle class going in another arena during futurities etc., I still cannot understand why this has not been done. AMHA does it. Other breed shows do it. AMHR seems to not be able to figure that out.

When it comes to placing in each class...an idea is from the Scottsdale Arabian show and that is to name all the top ten. No order at all and then finally name the Reserve and Reserve Champion. I had never seen this done before and it makes sense.
That is the way AMHA used to do it... announce the Top Ten numbers, hand out the plaques and then the Top Ten came back in that night for the placings. Failing that, announcing the placings from 10th place UP is a far better solution. I know that the idea is to save time by having the photos taken while the other placings are going on but if that was such an issue, photos could also be taken in a set up out in the hitching ring - and rail photos taken in the arena itself. The way AMHR does it now diminishes the prestige of winning a top ten placing. After Champion and Reserve, everyone stops paying attention and by the time 10th place is called, ir seems like little more than an afterthought. Reverse the order of placings being announced - from 10th to 1st - and it becomes special again - and far more suspenseful.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the way AMHA used to do it... announce the Top Ten numbers, hand out the plaques and then the Top Ten came back in that night for the placings. Failing that, announcing the placings from 10th place UP is a far better solution. I know that the idea is to save time by having the photos taken while the other placings are going on but if that was such an issue, photos could also be taken in a set up out in the hitching ring - and rail photos taken in the arena itself. The way AMHR does it now diminishes the prestige of winning a top ten placing. After Champion and Reserve, everyone stops paying attention and by the time 10th place is called, ir seems like little more than an afterthought. Reverse the order of placings being announced - from 10th to 1st - and it becomes special again - and far more suspenseful.
Ahem - are you listening Mark???

The task of putting on the Nationals is beyond my comprehension and I think that it keeps getting better. But there is always room for improvement.

Of all the good ideas others have had, my favorite one is Stacy's idea of letting the crowd see the horses profile. Also I think the folks at home could see them better on the video camera if they stood end to end.

I too think that some of the driving classes have too many horses entered. It looks dangerous and I don't know how they all can get a fair shake. Also you take your life in your hands back in the waiting area before the driving horses come in.

I am a little worried about getting fancy trophies, as I don't like to see the cost of the Nationals go up. If they don't cost too much I am all for them, but have to remember that if we get fancy ribbons and trophies, we also have to pay for Congress fancy ribbons and trophies too. I would rather get a cheap silver plate than see our Nationals not pay for itself or fees goes up to exhibitors.

Hi there -

I read the placings the way I have been asked to do it. I personally have no problem beginning with 10th and ending with the National Champion. If that's the way they want me to do it, I would be glad to.

Just let me know. Show season begins for me tomorrow - can't wait!

Mark

We really enjoy heading to the Nationals every year and really don't have much to complain about or to change other than having the driving stakes at the very end of the show, but some type of classes have to be last so we just figure on staying till the end. There are alot of long nights and early classes for us being there, usually we are the very last driving class in the evening and one of the first halter classes in the morning which we really don't get much rest while there anyway knowing that in the beginning ....because before you know it, Nationals is over and time to drive back home of 1100 miles one way and basically with driving for 18 hours without staying overnight.

We look forward in lots of good conversations and alot of tear jerking laughs with our show family and with all the other get togethers while there.

The AMHR Nationals and the National Shetland Congress are something that we look forward attending every year to be with some friends that going to the National events is the only place that we ever get time to be together. We just make it our vacation and its alot of work but well worth the trip.

We do miss the multiple nights of the catered food brought in that the registry pulled together but that is not much of an issue, that was done more in the past years back.

Mark and Sharon makes the time in the ring enjoyable with his choices music that relate to what is going on at the time and Sam and Sharon in the practice paddock area as well. As far as the placings being announced, well as far as we are concerned, we just hope we get our name announced in the Top Ten no matter what order it occurs, its all a thrill.

With the horses being lined up in a certain direction, I would say that is for making it harder for people to take photographs, just a thought on what the purpose really could/would be.

The practice ring for the driving classes we always had made sure that we were not up there too far in advance before our class, it sometimes gets a little congested. My husband does all the showing and the driving classes he really loves, especially Roadster, now that gets pretty hairy when they do the reverse and makes me nervous, but sure is fun to watch.

The last few years at AMHR Nationals have been presenting the neck ribbons for Champion and Reserve Champion, with the Champion neck ribbon you were also presented with the Horse Head trophy and with the Reserve Champion neck ribbon you also received the silver platter. At least they did away with all the ribbons being the same color like they did for 2 years and went back to the traditional colors for placings.

No matter what, we always have a great time with good friends and well worth all that we do with the lack of sleep, and really wouldn't change much of anything.

I think that one year they should have it in a southern state and one year a northern state, like Oklahoma and Minnesota(example one year in Oklahoma, following year in Minnesota, following year back to Oklahoma, the year after that back to Minnesota, etc). Have it in two locations so that people up north can show, especially canadians as not many canadians go down to Oklahoma due to the distance.

While most everyone seems to have issues with the distance, it just can't be in everyones backyard. If you happen to live close, then you travel the least. It takes us about 20 hours driving straight through but we know that at the beginning of the year. We plan for it and try to save as much as possible for it. And while it might be nice to move it every year, if it moved anywhere other than east, we more than likely wouldn't go. No matter where it moved to, people couldn't go. So I think having it in one place makes it easier to plan for. I would prefer a facility that is more secure like Will Rogers, but sometimes you just can't have it all.

My only real issue with Nationals is the awards too. I was lucky enough to win a National Championship with my then 2 year old stallion and someone bumped the table it was displayed on, it just tipped over, not that hard I didn't think, but the ear broke off. This is an award we worked hard for all year, we didn't send the horse to a trainer, we had him at home. So to get something as an award that breaks just from being tipped over was kind of a let down.

Otherwise we enjoy the entire show, we make our plans early in the year to be there for the entire show. Its only once a year, we make consessions to make the drive and to stay the entire time.

Latest posts

Back