What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest regret with horses is about 10 years ago not purchasing a aged mare. I was told she was 17 brought her home on 24 hour trial to get her vetted she was about 24. My husband felt the same way you did so we did not purchase her.

I have never forgotten her - name was Belle was a wonderful big paint mare who I felt so safe on. I made a huge mistake in not purchasing her and getting a younger horse instead. He was 12 and bull headed and needed a bit more time and miles to get the experience she had and I never felt like I could completely trust him like I did with her.

Marty, Yes, she said she bought him as a 16 yr old..and then went home and read his coggins to find out he was 19. She seemed to be OK with that, and thought the owner just made a mistake..it wasnt until she learned that he was 22 that she questioned it. That is why I said , she was OK, with 19 so 3 more years isnt that big of a deal...If this horse is in good health, sound, and is everything she wanted. I would rather see a inexperienced rider (or one who hasnt rode in awhile, and needs to learn confidence again) get on the back of a seasoned horse and get comfortable and THEN make the next step up to a more advanced horse...then buy one younger..just because of age..and find out he is more then she can handle. Just one acident is all it takes with alot of riders who need to learn confidence and they never do go back to riding.

default_aktion033.gif
I have been following this and I was sooo glad to read you are taking him. Good luck and have fun with him
default_yes.gif
. Also wanted to add that I would NOT suggest you try and ride him with out bit until you know him better. Can't wait to see pictures!

No, no bitless riding for me on an ex racehorse though I do love side pulls and maybe in time we will get there, but am going to get him off the nasty curb they used, if he drives safe on a snaffle why ride with a curb??

Hi,

I have a 21 yr old retired STB pacer who raced over 250 times, he had really ugly legs when I got him.

He is priceless.....

The standardbreds have such willing temperaments, if the people who get them off track spend the time to retrain them (it takes at least a year IMO to retrain the muscles to carry weight ) they make awesome trail horses. My old boy was too lame to start under saddle for 6 months after he came off the track, but when we did we took it slow and did a lot of just walking, bending, groundpoles to find he could pick up his feet and fortunately for us, my friends with arabs who did endurance rides took us out on trails with them and they rode for months just with his education in mind. In the first summer under saddle he learned to cross rivers, climb mountians and canter. Oh and while we didn't swim he would go belly deep in lakes so we could cool off
default_biggrin.png

He became a trail horse people on "regular" breeds envied, oh yeah and I could hook him and go driving any time too...

As far as care for an older horse, mine gets his teeth floated every fall, eats 25lbs of good timo/grass hay a day and triple crown senior, and spring shots. I give a joint supp, I use Cortaflex and I have noticed a difference with it. I also spread his hay out so he walks around to eat keeps him more supple.

Oh BTW before the old boy I got a 5 yr old STB mare OTT she wasn't fast enough, I thought she was a great find, beautiful and clean legged. 3 months later when I lost her to colic I was devastated ( and had $2000 vet bill) that was when MaV came into my life. My friend said he was tough and had proved his mettle, and we needed each other.....

I hope you have many happy trails with your standardbred!

Amy

HPIM0254a.jpg

Back