What Would You Do ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I would not do anything -- as I think its a pretty common occurance.

We started using "Crocker's Critters" about 28 years ago, and I finally had it researched and paid for about 11 years ago. It costs me around $52. every year to reserve it, and I figure that is worth it. That is only Provence-wide...but for more $$, I I have the option of researching it Canada-wide, and reserveing it Nationally. Is that not an option in the US?

Well, I am one of the Valley Views.

But from the beginning, on my web site, on my registration, I have always used V V.

I did all of that long before I knew there was another Valley View.

I have found people do adapt. When I have talked with others, they know the other as Valley View Farm, and me as Valley View Miniatures. I'm not really big enough to be know as anything. But it is what I use.

I meant no disrespect, was not trying to steal or take from anyone, I did not know they were even out there, a whole bunch of states away.

When I did find out, through this forum,,,,,,I did think of changing it, I could not come up with a dang thing not already taken, so left it in place waiting for some miracle thought to come to mind, but it didn't/hasn't happened.

I guess when you think something is "right", it is hard to think beyond that. Our property sits atop the Blue River Valley,,,,,,,that is where I got it, made sense, not trying to copy anyone. In our immediate area, we have just about anything you can name Valley View something or another,,,,,including another farm.

And yeah,,,,,,I have continued to look,,,,,,,but not sure what will go with V V as it is already on everything.

Maybe I can just be initials?????

Makes no difference to me at all,,,,,,,hey,,,,,,,,,is No Name taken????

When using your farm name,,,,,,,add your name,,,,,or state,,,,,,,,or city,,,,,,,,to help folks learn/know the difference. There are so many repeats, not sure there is a great answer.

I am also going to respond on the other side of this when we started into minis 6 years ago I too wanted something that would be different and make us stand out and be unique to Maine. I came up with a name and used it for about a year before I found out that there was another long time breeder who had used the name well ALMOST the same name one letter different. I was disappointed of course because as you said I had given the name alot of thought. I considered staying with the name but still felt I wanted something original and I changed our name and reserved it with both registries. I am so happy I did. But truthfully I did it without any knowledge that someone else had it. I think your name will speak for your farm anyway and as quickly as farms come and go someday you may have the name you want or change what you have and you might be much happier.

I am sorry about what your going through
default_sad.png
..its all tricky buisness. I do think everyone is right though...people will adapt - especially if your breeding different type of horses. It is a lovely name...I can see why you chose it.

best of luck

lis

Thanks again to all for giving me your insight. I'm feeling a bit less "shell shocked", and definitely less alone after reading through your posts.

I did start to email you but decided not to. I did look and you always just used dtdminis
Thanks for your post, Debby ... I know you can only advise - I'm glad you were aware that my farm exists!
default_smile.png
Just an FYI - I use dtdminis because I am a quadriplegic and typing is hard for me ....... so I took the easy way out. It was just to darned hard to write out daretodreamminiatures.com every time I gave out my web site.

Just to clarify one thing ... I didn't care about any other breed farms, stables, non-equine businesses ... Just the Miniature Horse World. I DO think, if the shoe had been on the other foot, that I personally would have offered to alter or change my name - IMO that would be the "honerable" thing to do and that's the way I am. But, after listening to you all and "sleeping on it", I think I can be grown up enough to roll with the punches and accept the situation with grace and dignity.

I'm going to adopt the philosophy of one of our Forum members - "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (I love your Forum Name!) Life is too darned short to do otherwise.

Thanks again everyone - you're a grreat group!

Nan

I think its a fair question... unfortunately there is no avenue to get it changed. Unless the farm is in the same state, with the same EXACT name (you can argue that a tiny, itty bitty change with the courts, and they generally will agree with you), and your name is registered with the state as a business, you can't do anything. If your business IS registered (like mine is with Kentucky, as Aztec Stables, LLC), and they use the same name in the same state, you CAN get the state to issue them a cease and desise order. All they have to do is add another word, or change it slightly, to make the two distingushable. But if they are in a different state you are SOL! Sorry
default_sad.png

Oh Nan! I would be so sad if this happened to me :no: I have also thought long and hard about my farm name. I would be crushed to have someone use my name as well. I cross my fingers that that doesn't happen to me! I'm glad that you are working through it... and You'll always be Dare to Dream Miniatures to me!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the input, Nathan ... it is appreciated.

And Mindy ... Thanks!
default_cheekkiss.gif
: You're a sweetheart!

Nan

If you are very serious

[SIZE=12pt]TRADEMARK[/SIZE]

Then it doesn't matter what AMHA, AMHR or any other organization or state think. The name is yours, federally protected. Any others will have to cease use of the name.

Thanks Al.

Jill and MA said the same thing. I don't know if it's worth it for a "small fry" like me ... but I am going to look into it! Can't hurt to educate myself ... right?!?

I appreciate your input.

Nan

Latest posts

Back