What would you do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANA

Reaction score
I shipped a colt for a well known and respected miniature and shetland breeder in Green Valley, Ontario. Anyway went to cash the check and she put a stop payment on it. What would you do, the money was my fathers, not mine as he paid the gas, so it is my dad who is out the money, not me. He is furious.

Have you called them to ask why they put a stop payment on the check? I would do that first, then begin legal proceedings. Not sure about Canadian law so am not sure what that process would be for you. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any contract or anything in writing? Have you contacted the breeder? They paid you for shipping their colt? Why didnt the buyer pay for shipping? I am not sure I follow this- were you (your father) the shipper?

I bought a shetland mare from the lady in Green Valley, she retained the foal in utero from this mare. We shipped the colt to her farm and she gave us a check for shipping. She put a stop payment on it. Yes I have it in writing.

Editied to add: I did phone her and she told me she put a stop payment on it because she can. Then hung up on me.

WOW!!! :new_shocked: My mouth just dropped open at that!!!

Just had to edit- I see- this was the colt being shipped back, at her expense, since she retained it.

Holy smoke- I would take legal action if she was supposed to pay for shipping.

I hope you have the equivilant of a "Small Claims Court" in Canada, cause if it were me, I'd sue for the money owed and all costs involved. I've heard many excuses for late payments, (I've done that) stoppayments etc but never "because I can". !! :new_shocked: On thinking on it maybe something has gone wrong and maybe some type of communication with the seller is in order before any legal action is taken..

Ginny StP

I'd be headed for small claims court for sure.

"Because I can" Now that has to be the absolutely most arrogant (also lame) reason I've ever heard.

I'd also tell two friends, and hope that they told two friends, and so on.

It's people like that that make people get the check and cash it before shipping the horse.

I feel sorry for you and hope you can get recourse some how.

I shipped a colt for a well known and respected miniature and shetland breeder in Green Valley, Ontario. Anyway went to cash the check and she put a stop payment on it. What would you do, the money was my fathers, not mine as he paid the gas, so it is my dad who is out the money, not me. He is furious.

Well known and respected???? The first part may be true, but once the word gets out, the second part is a thing of the past.

Is this the first conflict you have had with the breeder? Or, have there been other things going on?

I would definately take legal action and also ask for punitive damages.

HOw sorry can you be!!!!!!!!!!!I think I would come up with some way of getting my money. She must not realize that a they always say::::::::::

A good word travels slowly, but a bad word travels fast.............
default_yes.gif
:

Have you given her signed paperwork to transfer the foal? If not, you have some leverage, but the gall to say something like that to you is just apalling. I would think something like this could also be illegal and you might be able to press criminal charges against her since she wrote out and signed this check. Did she write anything in the memo area on the check?

You could start by having a lawyer draft a letter....... those aren't too expensive.

Not sure if the registry could help you, it would be worth calling them to see if they can do anything.

In Ontario Canada you can fight it in court. (1) she wrote a check, (2). It was thought out ( premeditated).(3) she put a stop payment.So she knew what she was doing. I have had this before from people.You have the right to put a claim in. Sorry this happened to you.There are some bad people out there.That just don`t care.Esp. with the fuel being high. We had a episode yesturday too.Hubby went 3 hr drive to meet someone to sell a pup.They told us 100 percent buying it. Hubby waited 3 hrs after the 3 hr drive and the people never showed up.They called in the morning even to say they where leaving to meet him too. But changed their mind after Hubby was already on the road.We lost in the gas money it cost.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No reason, just because I can............ :no:

That is just WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would send a certified letter, and ask why she stopped payment, and will give her 10 days to respond.........THEN I would get a lawyer........or take to small claims, if you show you have tried to make contact to resolve this problem with proof........then that will be in your favor.

Good Luck to you and SHAME ON THAT LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how it goes.

Ok I do have a question and not to be negative, just trying to figure out why!!
default_yes.gif
: Did the foal have a snotty nose, alot of weanlings do when they are weaned, or any other problem that might cause this breeder to be upset? I definately think she should be responsible for paying you and if she wants to be like that then she should be taken to court!! Its just a pity that some people can be like that!! :no:

Let us know what happens!!

Perhaps this is where the saying "Three sides to every story" comes in.

I AM the person Shana is speaking of and by far, do not consider or am I considered a "LOW LIFE". I will not, out of respect for this forum, it's members and Mary Lou, go into ANY OF THE DETAILS as to why I stopped payment on the cheque.

Shana... it is a true shame that you would choose to use this forum to twist this situation as well as posting such negative comments about my character and professionalism on another board. I do, however, encourage all forum members to consider what you say about another when not knowing the full story.

Shame on you Shana.

Perhaps the two of you need to work this out privately. Sorry...... You are right......there are always two sides to a story.........even three.

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back