What would you do...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm. I would immediately get a manager to help me make decisions on how to save it so it will last for the rest of my life. I would give a nice big chunk to my sis and her family in Boston (she has ALS and could really benefit from some more cash). Generally, take care of the family. Go on a month long trip to Europe (Italy, Spain, etc.). Build a brand new Dutch Masters barn; nothing too fancy, just something like this
default_wink.png
: http://www.dutchmasters.on.ca/projectshow....category=100072 A big indoor arena. A big sand ring. 4 or five grass paddocks. One big dry lot. Buy one more great mini mare. Buy some top CSH mares (just 3 or 4) and start a small breeding operation. A big BMW. Oh I'm sure there's much more (see why I'd need a money manager
default_wink.png
)
How nice are those Dutch Master barns and right here in Ontario?????

default_yes.gif
A lot of those big hunter/jumper farms in King Township/Caledon etc. have barns like that. You know, people with ridiculously large bank accounts
default_biggrin.png

Well, naturally it depends upon the amount that I win...

I would actually want several money managers, so as not to put all of my eggs in one basket.

A portion would be set aside for a family foundation, so that none of our family or close friends would ever be in need. A small amount would be divided up amongst them as an outright, no-questions gift, but the principle would be invested and managed (Jill for sure!) with the proceeds seeing to their needs in perpetuity.

A certain amount (to be determined) would be for each of us to spend as we see fit. Keith could quit his job if he wished and pursue music exactly as he desired, no questions or criticisms allowed.

We would set up a public foundation, funding causes that we believe in strongly, political, social, the humanities, animal welfare, the environment, etc. My job would be, along with our board, to direct where the money goes.

Finally, we would purchase a large tract of land to develop a horse community, with various sized parcels sold to individuals, shared riding and driving trails, arenas and tracks. Parcels could be small for those who enjoy interacting with horsey neighbors or large and very private for hermits like me.

(Mind you, this is not some hippy commune -- I treasure my privacy way too much and don't like being told what to do -- people would just have to love horses and other animals!)

Most importantly, this community would enable those who need assistance with their horses and other pets on their own to live in the community. They would have the support they need to keep their beloved animals and be forced to give them up. Young people, the elderly, and those not wanting to buy houses could rent condos or houses in the township and have a place for their horses. It would function as a small town, with the charms of urban living but without big city noise or suburban sprawl.

I see this community being situated in Oregon or Washington's coast range, overlooking the rugged cliffs of the Pacific Ocean. It would include wilderness areas for hiking and exploring, with old growth forest, pristine streams and frothy cascades of mountain runoff. Naturally, this community would place top priority on environmental concerns.

Guess I need to win a BIG lottery!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back