what would you charge to foal out a mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzE

Reaction score
who would like to bring the mare back to my place to foal her out for her. I am so thrilled to be able to do this for her but I just don't know what to charge. My husband thinks we need to charge more than just the normal boarding fee because of the responsibility and time spent monitoring (we have cameras, alert system, not to mention sleepless nights, etc). So if any one could give me some ideas I would sure appreciate it. Also wondering if I need a "foaling out contract" ? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you

Get something in writing regarding all the unforseen circumstances that may arise.

Get ready for lots more worrying regarding the foaling since the horse is your responsibility and how do you face an owner if the mare and/or foal does not make it.

We did it once and I don't think I would ever do it again.

THere was a slight issue with the one leg and head presentaion and the other leg back. We got the baby but it was "heart attack city" when we first observed what could have been a bad news story.

If "push came to shove" and the vets are called, which they were in our situation, the owner could have ignored the vet bill because it was us who made the call and the vet will certainly expect payment from the person making the call.

There are lots of things to consider and I have only mentioned a couple.

It is one thing to do it to "help" someone out, It is another to do it an accept cash for it. That just opens a huge door to liability. I don't think I would want to go that route at all. I would rather just offer a helping hand and be done with it.

The other option is insurance, have her get insurance on the mare and board it at your place until after she foals, but do not charge for foaling her out, just the board, just a thought.

Carolyn

Well I care about this mare alot and would rather have her here with me to foal out, because the new owner has never foaled out a mini mare. I have made the owner well aware of all the risks and that is the biggest reason she doesn't want to take a chance. I know I will need a contract that will cover me from any liability and vet expense if anything should go wrong. I also believe I need to charge more than the typical $3 - $4 a day people charge to board minis because I will be there for mare when she foals. I think the insurance is a great idea too and will mention that to her. I got till March to work out the details but was just hoping to get ideas. Thanks so much

I personally dont do it but there are some farms around here that do it. The going rate awhile back was $300 a month and that did not include feed, hay, vitamins and anything else the mare would need. Good luck and make sure you have a contract in place protecting yourself!

We foaled out a couple mares last year for others and expect a couple this year. I think we charged $3.00 per day plus $150 for foaling. Any related vet charges go to the owner direct. These were/are either mares we sold or bred to our stallions. We are set up with cameras and alarms and are foaling out our own mares as well. So one extra mare at a time was not a big deal. The owners are friends of ours and know the risk involved. That is why they chose to bring the mares here. They are not set up or have the experiance. We felt they were better off here with us than on their own. With one we gave the owner a call just as she went into labor about 2 am. He was here just a minute after after we delivered a beautiful colt.

With all the risk involved we probably wouldn't foal out for total strangers and really we would need some kind of connection as in animals we sold or bred to our studs. For some people the risk of doing anything for anyone is too much, but there is also a lot of satisfaction in helping out a fellow mini owner when needed.

Mark

My experience has been anywhere from $350 - $600 for the foaling out. This is in addition to any normal boarding fees. Plus if there are any emergency vet calls there is usually at per incident charge of $50 - $100 for the person to be available for the emergency visit to the vet.

Contracts that are very detailed are advisable.

I agree with Parmela. Detailed contracts are the key to making this (and a friendship) work and remain. You may want to talk to your vet to see if they have anything they like to see included in for emergency purposes.

In my area it's generally $350-600 too ontop of board. Even the vet clinic will but the price scales depending on how the delivery goes (ie the vet tech or the vet after hours, etc.).

Definitely have a contract!

I foaled out my own mares for many years and got burned out and sleep deprived after 8 weeks straight in the barn.I found a vet tech near me who did lots of foaling out for big horse people.She charged me $350 and I took my feed and hay.It was well worth it and she was much more experienced than me even though I had about 15 years experience.(She foaled as many as 40 in 1 year)She had people watching 24/7 and lots of people in an emergency.I would definitely get a contract spelling out things especially who is responsible for vet bills and giving you authority to make decisions in a hurry in an emergency.She obviously trusts you to do it or she wouldn't ask.Be very specific about what shots and when mare is to receive and what happens if baby and or mom dies.Cover anything you think might happen and have another horsey friend who is not involved read it before both or you sign.Often someone else might think orf something you forgot.Good luck and happy foaling season.

Latest posts

Back