What would it take to get you to come and show a sanctioned show in Canada?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiLo Minis

Reaction score
I am interested in finding out what keeps Americans from coming to AMHR shows in Canada that are closer for them even than some of the shows they attend in the States. We here in Canada frequently show in the States as well as our own shows here. All that is required to cross the border is a coggins/Eliza test within the past 6 months and health papers. What could a sanctioned AMHR show do to encourage you to come across the border to support it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this up for you Lori. I'd like to hear some responses to your question toO!

Our shows here do get a few US exhibitors, but there are plenty more that don't come up here to show. I hear people just south of us saying that they have to drive 10+ hours to show because all the shows are at least 10 hours away. In actual fact that isn't correct, because our two annual shows are much less than 10 hours away from those same people.

I

Location and KNOWING THE SHOW IS OUT THERE!

The biggest drawback for us is the extra health papers and passports. Its adds up pretty quickly! But the biggest drawback for us is thelack of ASPC classes. We show both AMHR & ASPC so to drive that far and then leave half the show string home is just no doable for us.

We live in west central Minnesota and would consider coming to a show in Canada if there is something fairly close over the border. Takes us about 8 hours to get to International Falls, so perhaps a show in the south western Ontario area would work. Also, don't want to leave my first born at the border LOL, so hoping that wouldn't be a big hassle.

We live in west central Minnesota and would consider coming to a show in Canada if there is something fairly close over the border. Takes us about 8 hours to get to International Falls, so perhaps a show in the south western Ontario area would work. Also, don't want to leave my first born at the border LOL, so hoping that wouldn't be a big hassle.
I would say that the Manitoba shows, and there are a couple right Holly?!, would be closer for you than the Ontario shows which tend to be in south/central Ontario. There is very little of anything in south western Ontario north of Lake Superior. I have driven from Ontario to Minnesota for shows though so it isn't unthinkable.

To cross the border with your children you need a note from your spouse if both of you are not in the vehicle. Children can get passports but I believe if they are under 10 years of age they can cross with a birth certificate and, as I mentioned, a signed note from their other parent. It is best if you get the signed note witnessed and signed by a neighbour or friend as well. I cross with my show kid (who is not mine by birth
default_biggrin.png
) all the time and we take a note signed by his mom and dad and witnessed by our neighbour. We have never had any real trouble getting across.

I was joking when I said leaving my first born at the border. My kids are grown. . . It was more a statement on potential issues with border crossing. Thanks for the info on shows. Would definitely be interested in a show near the Winnepeg area that was sanctioned (AMHR or AMHA or better yet, both). We do limited showing, only 2-3 a year but would love to try that some time.

Yes! Manitoba shows might be an option for you. We have 2 shows, one in June, one in July, both in Brandon which is in the southwestern part of Manitoba, about 60 miles north of the US border (straight north of the Boissevain port of entry) We offer a full slate of AMHR classes as well as ASPC classes for all divisions. Our June show is a fair show, one judge/triple points, and our July show has 3 judges. Our show facility is second to none—everything, including the hotel, is under one roof, and there are plenty of motels, shopping opportunities and eating establishments within blocks of the show grounds—a number of them are right across the street.

We do have a MN exhibitor that has come to our June show the past 3 years--she's from just south of Brainerd & said that it's about a 9 1/2 hour drive for her to get to Brandon. She's had no hassle at the border at all.

We used to go to two shows in BC each year, this was YEARS ago, but we always loved those shows. Now, its location (we live in a different area of the state) and the $ that adds up for health certs, paperwork, etc crossing the border.

Once you get your passport it is good for 10 years so no problem there. The kids 15 and under need just a certified copy of their birth certificate. I've never actually had to have anything from my husband saying the kids had permission to go to Canada but they have asked me if their father is aware they are going to a different country when I cross into Canada. The border guys at the Boissevain are very used to people going up to show at the facility at Brandon so crossing there has always been the easiest. I've crossed at the port of entry on I-29 before but they aren't as familiar with horses so it always takes longer.

The coggins is the same as the US - just needs to be within 6 months. The fed-ex charge is the annoying part for getting the paperwork back and forth to St. Paul to the USDA from my vet. The health papers cost more than the ones in the US but it balances out with what I save on entry fees when I show up in Manitoba. And I gotta say - the folks at the shows in Brandon are the most courtious and helpful of any show I go to!

Location and KNOWING THE SHOW IS OUT THERE!
So Ruffian, you would want to see more advertising aside from the fact that is would be listed along with all the sanctioned shows on the AMHR website. If it was advertised how far from the border we are, classes being held and so forth??? Any special events, contests, prizes etc.

Once you get your passport it is good for 10 years so no problem there. The kids 15 and under need just a certified copy of their birth certificate. I've never actually had to have anything from my husband saying the kids had permission to go to Canada but they have asked me if their father is aware they are going to a different country when I cross into Canada. The border guys at the Boissevain are very used to people going up to show at the facility at Brandon so crossing there has always been the easiest. I've crossed at the port of entry on I-29 before but they aren't as familiar with horses so it always takes longer.

The coggins is the same as the US - just needs to be within 6 months. The fed-ex charge is the annoying part for getting the paperwork back and forth to St. Paul to the USDA from my vet. The health papers cost more than the ones in the US but it balances out with what I save on entry fees when I show up in Manitoba. And I gotta say - the folks at the shows in Brandon are the most courtious and helpful of any show I go to!
Our Canadian

passports are only good for 5 years & then they have to be renewed.

Our Canadian

passports are only good for 5 years & then they have to be renewed.
It is also less expensive for Americans to purchase their passports than it is for we Canadians to purchase ours and then ours only last for half the time.....ours are WAY more expensive!!!

What if more than one show was available here either on the same weekend or one week away so that you could have a little holiday here as well as getting in a show or two?

Where would it be good to advertise a show in Canada - the Journal, facebook, here on the forum are my thoughts - is there anywhere else that you would likely see and pay attention to it?

The easiest crossings for Southern Ontario are Port Huron/Sarnia from Michigan and the Queenston/Lewiston bridge from New York. There is also a crossing at Buffalo NY but they will quite often send you on up to Lewiston because that is where the federal vet is on staff so you are really best just to go there first. The Detroit/Windsor crossing always takes longer to cross from Michigan because they are a lot busier.

A hundred yrs ago I was working with our club to increase attendance at our annual show -- all club members know how important it is to at least break even!

One of the things we did was obtain a listing of members from the AMHA, AMHR (& now you have ASPC) for all surrounding states. We prepared a 3 page info with maps, distances, hotel, camping, judges, classes, etc and mailed to those farms. A little expense but, worth it! In your case I'd say to include things discussed here about borders, certifications, etc. ALWAYS have some phone contact numbers for those able/willing to answer additional questions. We sent these to trainers who were known to travel to shows a further distance, also. Just a thought!

Yep, seeing the listing in scheduled shows is not enough for those who are intimidated by the thought of crossing the border, travel time, etc. It's the unknown. Subtracting some of the mystery will help encourage them to come there.

While I've been to Canada for vacations, never did show there when I was actively doing that. In early to mid 90's we had lots of shows going on.

Canada was beautiful, fun and friendly!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back