What type of shows do you show at?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
Most of the breed shows for minis are located several (or many) hours from me so I was thinking about possibly going to a few local schooling and open shows in our area and just entering the halter and in hand trail classes to get back into the groove of showing again. Do you show at other shows besides breed shows and how has your experience been with it?

Don't know where you're located but if halter and trail are all your interested in doing right now then that's a good idea. The breed shows will require more grooming for halter as a general rule. I've done a few open shows in the past. I went in with my mini all decked out, shined up, highlighted and felt bad for the young 4-H kids that I beat.

However, I also like to drive and the open shows have ground for the big horses. Minis, as a general rule, cannot handle that deep plowed up ground.

I think I have shown locally at about every type of show that allows minis! I started with local shows, where you can always do halter and showmanship. If you ask - we did one year- maybe you can get others interested and add some mini classes. The judge might need help, but we wrote out rules and everyone had a great time, including the judge!

Our first love for shows is Pinto shows, which is why we breed for pintos. Can't say enough about the fun, the awards, the varied classes, the fun, etc....

We drive, so we have done American Driving Society events and non-sanctioned ADS-type shows. Do you see a pattern here? We like to show where there are BIG horses too! Don't need registered minis either.

We have also shown AMHR and AMHA because we do have those shows in our area.

ETA: Forgot that with our new 4-H Club the 4-Hers will be taking some of our minis to the County 4-H Fair as their projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I show my miniatures in Open Breed Shows, fun shows. AMHA AMHA shows, fair shows. I let kids take them into 4H shows, etc. I like showing in all variety of shows, each has its own type of "fun".

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

I show Pinto which I really enjoy. I also like to support our local clubs that put on schooling/open shows which feature mini classes. In fact I went to a Pinto show last weekend and the end of the month I'm going to an open show locally.
default_smile.png

Great feedback, thank you! Wish we had the pinto show circuit here in northern California where I'm located, they sound like fun, upbeat shows with a lot of classes and great prizes. Its been a few years since I've shown QHs and I used to really enjoy showmanship and halter and they didn't offer an in hand trail class so I'll look for those and get out there again.

I'm a ways off from doing any type of competitive driving at this point but I'll be sure to be mindful of ground conditions and the best places for minis to show, good points.

Latest posts

Back