What type of halter to use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So, I'm going to do showmanship with both my minis, but don't know what type of halter is usually used? Are the cable arab type halters used, or do most people use the quarter horse style leather halters - and with or without silver in that case? I have 1 arab type show halter, and 2 plain leather (that we use to jump) and am debating getting another arab type halter. Any advice is much appreciated! I've shown a lot of showmanship in the past - and coached a lot of showmanship kids - but didn't pay attention last year when I was watching to see what people used in mini showmanship : )

I've mostly seen the leather halters. Usually they have silver, but if it's a local show I've seen a LOT of plain leather ones. As long as it's in very good shape and clean, you do not need any silver on it. For National level shows, I'd get silver on them.

Andrea

I use a leather quarter horse style halter, usually black with silver on it if I am showing Western. I use a stud chain on the end of the leather lead (buckle end!) and run the chain under the chin and attach to the upper ring on the off side of the halter.

For English showmanship (offered at Pinto shows) people usually use a plain leather halter, lead and chain the same as above, and wear hunt clothes, complete with helmet and tall boots. Some may wear saddle seat suits. So pretty much what you see with "big" horses.

So, I'm going to do showmanship with both my minis, but don't know what type of halter is usually used? Are the cable arab type halters used, or do most people use the quarter horse style leather halters - and with or without silver in that case? I have 1 arab type show halter, and 2 plain leather (that we use to jump) and am debating getting another arab type halter. Any advice is much appreciated! I've shown a lot of showmanship in the past - and coached a lot of showmanship kids - but didn't pay attention last year when I was watching to see what people used in mini showmanship : )
It's going to depend on where you are showing. I mean pinto show, AMHR show, 4-H, open?? For the Pinto or the 4-H either the cable or the western type with silver. An open show probably won't make much difference either but you'll see more plain halters than the fancy ones. At AMHR they'll use mostly the cable type. Some will have plain (which is a good starter) but most will have the blingy ones with colored nose bands and maybe conchos.

It's going to depend on where you are showing. I mean pinto show, AMHR show, 4-H, open?? For the Pinto or the 4-H either the cable or the western type with silver. An open show probably won't make much difference either but you'll see more plain halters than the fancy ones. At AMHR they'll use mostly the cable type. Some will have plain (which is a good starter) but most will have the blingy ones with colored nose bands and maybe conchos.
AMHR / AMHA shows. The open shows I go to it really doesn't matter, and I'm generally better off to go like a stock horse (because it's almost all stock horses). Just didn't know when I go to an actual mini show what to use.

Either is fine, just wanted to say Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

Sorry, I have to have a little fun with this....... (as far as your question, my own preference is a plain leather halter with no chain)

Rules for showmanship.....

Wear the brightest, ugliest, reddest lip stick you can find. Then cover your cheeks with a pound or so of blush.

Buy the most expensive, brightest colored jacket you can find, then cover it and i mean COVER it, with glitter and sequins. (That way if you make mistakes the judge is so blinded by the glare they wont see anyway).

Buy a mirror, then practice your phoniest most ridiculous. Show a lot of teeth.

When you trot, bend your knees a bit and keep your upper body still so things......well, ya know, stay in place. You need to perfect this "trot" it's a female trademark in the showmanship ring.

Never take your eyes off the judge. If he's not totally creeped out by the end of the class from all your staring then you haven't done enough. Perfect the stare, this is key.

Pretend you're own Americas Next Top Model but with pony in your hand.

If you can master all of this, it won't matter what your horse is wearing for a halter, you will win
default_smile.png

Sorry, I have to have a little fun with this....... (as far as your question, my own preference is a plain leather halter with no chain)

Wear the brightest, ugliest, reddest lip stick you can find. Then cover your cheeks with a pound or so of blush.

Buy the most expensive, brightest colored jacket you can find, then cover it and i mean COVER it, with glitter and sequins. (That way if you make mistakes the judge is so blinded by the glare they wont see anyway).

When you trot, bend your knees a bit and keep your upper body still so things......well, ya know, stay in place. You need to perfect this "trot" it's a female trademark in the showmanship ring.

Never take your eyes off the judge. If he's not totally creeped out by the end of the class from all your staring then you haven't done enough. Perfect the stare, this is key.

If you can master all of this, it won't matter what your horse is wearing for a halter, you will win
default_smile.png
I know this is the "style" for the QH ring, was hoping not so much for minis : )

I hate the whole fake smile thing in Showmanship, think it is my pet peeve. i've always preferred the Arab showmanship, where they remember that the purpose of showmanship (originally) was to teach you how to show in halter, and was to show that the person knew how to present a halter horse, in preparation for actual halter classes! Of course, having said that, I haven't been to an Arab show for a few years either, so maybe that has changed too. . .

default_smile.png
Oh, and you forgot the part about making sure the zipper on your front zip jacket / blouse is not quite zipped all the way up, but left open to a "strategic location" . . . optional with female judges of course LOL

Oh, and you forgot the part about making sure the zipper on your front zip jacket / blouse is not quite zipped all the way up, but left open to a "strategic location" . . . optional with female judges of course LOL
My sister used to say your rank in class related to how tight your pants are. She should know she always places high in Pinto.

Sandee said:
At AMHR they'll use mostly the cable type. Some will have plain (which is a good starter) but most will have the blingy ones with colored nose bands and maybe conchos.
Maybe it's because I live near Showtime Tack and we have a lot of 4-H youths, but you NEVER see a cable halter in AMHR showmanship in this area!
default_new_shocked.gif
We all have the nice western halters with silver for jumping, obstacle and showmanship. You won't be marked down for having a plain leather halter but you'd definitely stand out as being a little odd in a cable halter. Those are generally reserved only for halter here as they are too easy to get out of if the horse spooks or pulls backwards.

maestoso said:
default_new_rofl.gif

Leia

haha, well my description of showmanship, at least at the world show, is sadly not that far from truth ;)

BUT it was intended more for fun then education!

default_smile.png

Hilarious
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I didn't do the quote correctly Matt, but anyway............. your post was hilarious
default_yes.gif

Seriously though, those arabian look halters are lovely but a judge in Ontario, Canada, did not place a competitor who was using one as it was not as a show halter is described in the AMHR rulebook. The competitor had won at other shows using it.

Is it the Judge's preference?

Latest posts

Back