Choosing show halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palindromebaby

Reaction score
Now that I actually have a mini I am looking at what all we can do this summer! I am very lucky to live in an area with an active small/schooling show scene. I have never done any in hand showing but it seems like it would be the best option to get my 3 year old out and about. Being a multi colored creature what on earth would look nice on her? I am waiting just a little longer to shave her naked to see what I am really working with structure wise and that may be the deciding factor of doing something stock type or the cable style halter. I am thinking simple as she is pretty darn flashy but I would love to have something more ornate.
51984831_10214364580694771_3808726759860338688_o.jpg

I show in cable halters. My white faced chestnuts show in black/gold nosebands, my white faced bay showed in a black/silver noseband. As I recall my silver bay pinto wore the black/gold and my palomino and chestnut pintos wore black/silver. Those are Victor halters so have plain rolled patent checks, and I use conchos on a my halters. I prefer the elegant Victors over anything gaudy.

That is a beautiful horse. How would show halters be different from a regular one? Better leather? Maybe some leather work on it?

ClaraN this is a cable show halter--this is what is used on minis showing in breed shows.

If you show in western stock halter then a western type show halter--leather halter, with or without silver trim, is the proper halter to use. That is what is usually used in performance (jumper, obstscle) and showmanship as well.

Attachments

• 20190225_103833.jpg
    20190225_103833.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back