What to put on an area that the hair has been scraped off?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
I have a horse that has scraped the skin off of their hip somehow. I am not sure what they ran into or rubbed against, but they have a patch that the hair is gone. It isn't an open wound, their is no blood. It is just pink skin, not seeping or anything. Is there something I should be putting on it? When I first saw it, I cleaned the area real well and put Fura-zone on it. But, is there something else I should put on it so it doesn't get dried out, or will it heal itself and be okay?

Thanks for all the advice you can give me!

as long as it's dry and not weepy, it'll heal just fine on its own. keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't a fungus rather than just a rub spot.

i've heard old timers that swear by putting bacon grease on a spot like that to make the hair grow in quickly.
default_new_shocked.gif

Yeah, it is completely dry, not weeping at all. I am pretty sure that it is a scrape, because it wasn't there yesterday morning and it was in the afternoon. And, he has no other spots on him anywhere. I know that a fungus could be in just one spot, but it just doesn't look like that to me. And, he doesn't want me to touch it, he acts like it is sore.

I sort of thought it would heal up on its own, but I wanted to make sure. I will just keep a close eye on it and make sure it is healing well, and doesn't end up getting infected.

Thank you!

Bacon grease. Works great. Hair will grow back quickly.

I have used the triple antibiotic ointment from wal mart. I keep it on hand all the time. If it is not fungus or lice, I put a generous amount of this ointment (get it in the double tube box--equate brand) a couple of times a day for a few days. This seems to keep it moist and keep it from itching most of the time so he hopefully won't rub it some more. If I think it is a fungus, I get the equate brand fungus cream and use it along with the ointment. I put the cream on first and let it sit for a few minutes (usually while I feed everyone) and then put ointment on top to keep from drying out and getting flaky.

Good luck.

Angie

Vitamin E Skin Oil. I buy it at Wal Mart in a 2 oz. bottle. I would apply it once in the morning and once in the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get A&D Ointment, at WalMart in the baby rash medicine area. works great and promotes hair growth like crazy, our 80 yr old vet told us that 30 yrs ago and our new vet today told us the same thing. it works great on big and small cuts/ scrapes to get the hair growing . I put it on in the morning and at night.

if you use an antibiotic ointment, be sure to use something without a steroid in it. A steroid will keep the hair from growing back in.

If there is no infection, you can also use just plain ole Vaseline to keep it moist.

Peggy

Never heard of using bacon grease- I will have to try it sometime! Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back