What to feed pregnant mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
HI everyone. I just purchased a mini that is due to foal in about a month or so.

Are there any particular feeds she should be getting. I use Blue Seal for a grain dealer.

Right now she is getting about 2-3 hours of grass, all the hay she can eat, medium quality as we are waiting for the new hay to be mown here in Maine. I think I'll be getting new mown ha this weekend finally!, a 10% protein and fat grain (about a cup twice a day), a good vitamin supplement (it is supposed to make up the difference in nutrients for horses on mixed grass hay), kelp and around 1 1/2 cups of beet pulp twice a day. I remember the only other time I have ever had a pregnant mare I had her on a mare and foal grain for higher protein.

Thanks folks!
default_smile.png

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, but I'd go with a mare and foal feed at appropriate levels for her weight and stage of gestation (and then after foaling for her stage of lactation).

Blue Seal makes several types of grains for different needs. Which is she on?

I would recommend either the Mare&Foal or even the Senior mixture and I'd up the amount gradually. We don't feed kelp or beet pulp, so our late pregnant and lactating mares get between 4 to 6 cups grain (with supplements) two times a day.....plus hay and a little bit of pasture.

MA

I just got her this past Sunday and I have put her on Horse 10 it's what my riding mare is on, but I thought that she should probably be on some other type of grain. I'll pick up some Mare and Foal for her and build her up gradually. Thank for your help.
default_smile.png

Blue Seal makes several types of grains for different needs. Which is she on?

I would recommend either the Mare&Foal or even the Senior mixture and I'd up the amount gradually. We don't feed kelp or beet pulp, so our late pregnant and lactating mares get between 4 to 6 cups grain (with supplements) two times a day.....plus hay and a little bit of pasture.

MA

Latest posts

Back