What to Feed my TB Gelding....?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLilShowGirl

Reaction score
My TB comes home march 22nd
default_biggrin.png
and I am trying to figure out how much or what is best to feed him. I am so used to feeding the minis, and I know what they need and what grains are good for them, but feeding a riding horse is a new thing for me, so I want to make sure Im doing it right for the best interest of the horse.

Currently, he is being fed 3.5 qts of HFHF and 6 cups of beet pulp, plus his hay. He is not getting any vitamins or extra mineral stuff in his diet, and he is doing just fine without them. With what he is being fed right now, he is at a healthy and happy weight.

I won't be able to feed the beet pulp, as I board, and don't want to make it a hassle with feeding my horses soaked beet pulp when hers dont the beet pulp.

I was wondering what your suggestion would be and how much to feed him. Keep in mind that he is older (20). Would oats make him too hyper? and what about sweetfeed?

I will still be feeding him some HFHF, but Id like to mix something else in with it for him.

Please let me know what you think
default_smile.png
Any input would be great

Note: 16.2 hh TB, 20 yrs old.

Parker1.jpg

Hey

Love your new boy...Congrats.

Would it be that much of a pain to have the BO feed him beet pulp? He looks great and so if you can keep him on the same feed and schedule as much as possible, that would be best. Unless he's getting worked hard -which I'm sure he's not-, I wouldn't feed him oats. Ditto on the sweetfeed -high starch and sugar-. Is he turned out 24/7? Is he getting free-choice hay? Just curious.

Hi Kris. Congrats on the new boy! He's gorgeous!

I agree with Matt's suggestions about keeping him on the same diet as much as possible. You know the saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What are the other horses at the boarding place being fed? Is it very different from what he gets now?

I buy all the feed for the horses, and just pay rent on the stalls, and so my minis get fed a mix of omolene 200, oats and HFHF...soo I do buy the HFHF, will just have to buy it in bigger amounts.

I am not concerned about not feeding the beetpulp, as it is a roughage, and I can just give him more hay. It makes it easier on everyone.

Matt, he will be stalled, and turned out a few hours a day...and ridden about 3 times a week, so he is not doing anything intense, just for pleasure.

Right now, he is getting the 3.5 qts of HFHF in the PM, but hay AM and PM...so I think I will be splitting the grain up so he get's a bit morning and night.

Last edited by a moderator:
The beet pulp is indeed roughage, but it also puts and keeps weight on, especially in older horses. My sis has TB's, and they have such a high metabolism that they usually need to eat A LOT. I am dumbfounded as to how much grain and hay they get, and she works at it to keep them in condition. I would ask the vet who is currently taking care of the horse (or was) and see if they know of any special reason he is on the BP. If there is a reason, I would not change it. By the way, nice looking guy........cute face!
default_yes.gif

I agree. TRY to keep him on the same feed if possible.

And I hear ya when you say boarding is sometimes a hassle!
default_wink.png

default_aktion033.gif
Kris, Congrats on the new horse, he looks lovely. I too would try to keep him on the same feed. It seems to have him at a nice weight and his coat is shiny too, it is sometimes hard to keep thoroughbreds at a good weight especially when they are older. When I had my older mare (she lived to be 36) I had her on beet pulp too to keep the weight on her and she loved it.

Yvonne

Okay thanks everyone
default_smile.png

I will keep it the same. I just didnt know if he should be getting something else because of his age...I want to make sure he will stay healthy for as long as he can
default_smile.png

Thanks for the input and compliments on him
default_wub.png

Hey Kris,

I'd stick with HFHF....my big guy does great on it.....the only thing I'd consider is adding Equilizer into the equation. That would make an amazing difference to him....believe me....especially with him being older.

I would steer clear of feeds full of carbs....my big guy went looney when we tried that to put weight on him
default_wacko.png

~kathryn

i have no idea what HFHF is..

but this is my TB's diet. Now granted he is a SUPER hard keeper..

3Quarts Cracked corn 2X per day

3 Quarts sweet feed 2Xper day

1 Quart Rice bran powder 2X per day

1 Quart Dry Beet pulp 2X per day

1 quart Alfalfa Pellets 2X per day.

In the winter he does better (odd boy) and I can cut that in half usually but for the most part that is his diet.

Just curious what is HFHF? My Apendix quarter horse gets Poulin 10/12: 1/2 quart, Poulin 10/8: 1/2 quart; 2 times a day with 3 flakes of hay 2 times a day. I'm switching him over to all 10/8 soon. It has less fat. My grain has beet pulp, bran, oats, corn, pellets, and some molasses. Not alot of molasses, as he can't have a sweet feed like Blue Seals Charger. But he;s doing great on this feed, his coat is shiney he's put on weight since we've gotten him. But I do agree keep him on what he's on.

Christy

Latest posts

Back