Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponylove

Reaction score
Hi all!
I feed my mini Beet Pulp and someone today told me beet pulp is horrible for horses. I want to make sure I’m not feeding him something that will hurt him long term.

he gets about 1 cup soaked beet pulp, simply flax, biotin plus, purina enrich and unlimited Timothy hay. His body condition is perfect at 2 years old. Just looking for some friendly advice here ❤❤

1 cup whether measured before or after soaking is not much beet pulp.
Beet pulp is a highly digestible fiber with a good level of calcium, moderate protein, and low carbs (even the molasses added back is still fairly low carb, although our little equines, rarely need the molasses added variety). 1 cup daily should not unbalance the diet, nor need to have the high calcium balanced, unless you are also feeding lots of alfalfa which is also high calcium.
And, also as long as your equine isn't allergic to bp. Horses can be allergic to common feed ingredients; but if you've had not problems to date, it's likely not a problem.
Beet pulp has a lot of myths surrounding it.

That beet pulp story is hilarious!! I asked my vet about beet pulp. He gave his ok. I feed 1 cup a day and they love it. I use the shreds,( it doesn't take as long to soak.) Mine are on a dirt lot. No green in the desert here. :) He finds it helps to move along the sand they pick up.

I loved your story! These days everybody needs a good laugh and you surely provided one. I was still thinking about it today although I read it yesterday. Sounds like your house is a fun and exciting place to be.

Oh, this isn't MY story - I originally read it posted by Susan Garlinghouse years ago as in this link, but honestly not sure it was her story - I've seen it in other forms over the years so not sure of the original author. No pet squirrels here. 😁

Latest posts

Back