What to do with Patches

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

this pony i swear is without a doubt THE smartest horse i have ever known in my life, big or little. At the old farm we had to redo every gate and stall door because she learned how to open everyone of them. I thought we were safe when we moved as these stalls have complicated latches. Its the bar kind with a U that you have to pull up, then down then slide to the left. Well now shes figured it out and no one is safe LOL. She keeps opening it and kicking out whoever is in the stall. Its actually pretty funny to watch her open it with her lips and then use her head to slide the door. These are really big sliding doors so not an easy feat. im going to try and get pics of her opening it.

but the big question is how do i stop her? ughhhhhhhh. I think she needs a dang job.

Is it the kind that has the thing between the 'U' when it is locked that you can turn to make sure the 'U' thing stays down, do you know what im talking about? We put a shank snap like the little snap thing on a lead rope through that little whole and that makes it so they cannot get out. Royal does the same exact thing that Patches does so now at night since i just started stalling him a couple days ago i put a shank snap through that little whole on the swisty thing in the middle of the U. Guess its a pony thing LOL.

default_smile.png

Can you chain the gate even though it is closed I have an escape artist as well if i dont chain her gate she will let everyone else out as well

My aunts mare does this as well. HOwever the latches got switched awhile back. They now have a rod that drops down in a hole and esentually works like a snap. Not sure how to explain it. No animal should beable to get it open.

Well saturday morning I went to the barn to feed before I went to school. I walked in and notice all He** broke lose in the barn over night. Some how they got it open, and all about 15 mares were running th barn.

It was not a pretty site and I had lots of clean up to do. They sure ran like heck back into there pen when I yelled at them.

Our horses open the gates with the U-slide latches. We clip a snap to them, so they can't open them.

Andrea

im going to try that today. this is making me nuts. she lets everyone in the stall and then it becomes a huge litter box. growls.

Saturday rusty took the truck to the barn to unload feed sacks. Patches went behind the truck while he was in the feed room and went straight to the string. Pulled the string and the entire bag spilled on the ground. She was in heaven. He said she delicately put her lips only on the end string like she knew how to open the bag. She really does crack me up. I could her him cussing from the backyard and I knew patches had done something once again LOL

Kay,,,,,,,we have one of those. So I have a padlock with a chain.

Unless she can find the key,,,,,,,,we don't have a problem. :bgrin I had to do this to a gate leading to the outside world.

Kay, I think you said it yourself.........Patches is BORED. She's so bright and smart that she does need a job.

We have a gelding much like your girl. He has been our "emissary" with children. He's big enough for small children to ride, plus is a bomb-proof cart horse. When ever there's a long time between "assignments" for him he gets restless and turns into our farm escape artist. He's 18 years old. :bgrin And we love him.

MA

i so agree. i have to get her back into harness or something. her previous owner drove her to town and back like 5 times per week. But she is a handful and i dont feel like ive got enough driving experience to drive her. A judge here in ohio begged me to put her back in the show circuit but she really got show sour which is why we stopped. Shes had 3 years off but Im not sure showing is the right thing. Kyle rides her off and on and I have been encouraging my neighbor to ride her. *shes very petitie and patches is pretty big*

she definately needs a job. we have been trying to breed her but umm having trouble finding a stallion man enough LOL. she adores foals and always tries to steal everyone elses.

Back