what to do for yearlings kicking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBittyBritches

Reaction score
I need the best advice for yearlings kicking. This is a new filly that was sweet and nice when we got her. My kids and hubby did well with her. now this morning i went in her stall to feed her. i was petting her and she swung around so quick and kicked me multiple shots. she wasnt spooked, it was intentional. this is supposed to be my daughters show horse, so i want her trained VERY well. please help, i'm so glad it was me and not one of my kids, because i have 2 pretty big bruises on my legs.
default_sad.png

we have only had her for less than a week

Last edited by a moderator:
A yearling wouldn't be my first pick for a youth show horse, I'd get a mature horse 5 or older. Yearlings are still testing boundaries, and obviously she is getting away with it. Horses are unpredictable, and youngsters even moreso.

If you need a well trained horse, either buy one and/or get a trainer to train it.

Are you newer to horses?

Good luck,

Andrea

This is awful! Next time you go in her stall carry a whip and smack her a good one on her hip if she tries to kick or even lays her ears back and turns her rear to you. Be prepared to make a hasty retreat in case she comes at you with both barrels. You may also want to put her in a round pen and keep her moving without a lunge line just body language and don't let her stop until you are ready.

A yearling wouldn't be my first pick for a youth show horse, I'd get a mature horse 5 or older. Yearlings are still testing boundaries, and obviously she is getting away with it. Horses are unpredictable, and youngsters even moreso.

If you need a well trained horse, either buy one and/or get a trainer to train it.

Are you newer to horses?

Good luck,

Andrea
We have had minis for about 3 years, and my daughter has grown with them, I would LOVE her to show our very well behaved mare, but she has a foal on her side, and I worry she may not act herself in the ring without baby. We have others, but this new one is one of the smallest, so she has more control. This filly is fairly well behaved on the lead. Even if this filly does not end up being my daughter's show horse, I would still like to correct the behavoir before it's "too late"

This is awful! Next time you go in her stall carry a whip and smack her a good one on her hip if she tries to kick or even lays her ears back and turns her rear to you. Be prepared to make a hasty retreat in case she comes at you with both barrels. You may also want to put her in a round pen and keep her moving without a lunge line just body language and don't let her stop until you are ready.
I know Riverrose, as you probably guessed, she is the one from the Celebration auction. After she did this I got the lunge line, and put a halter on her, to teach her to not swing her butt my way, but on the lead she seems pretty well behaved, and mannered for the most part. I wonder what "step" was missed in her training. i want to correct this very quickly.

Her behavior does not mean any step was missed in her training...she may be just testing her new "herd", and yes, she sees you as her herdmates. You need to establish your position IMMEDIATELY. I would be sure to carry a crop with me and whack her a good one on the butt the second she even THINKS to lashing out at you!!

Many years ago, I bought two yearling fillies. Bith were real sweethearts. Not long after getting them home, I had them in individual stalls to feed, and as I walked in from behind (they were open ended 4'x6' stalls) into the one filly's stall, she kicked at me. (I don;t remember if she connected or not) but my response was so immediate, and I was so close, that I was able to give her a good, gard smack on her rump with my hand. I also LOUDLY scolded her. That was the first and the last time she ever tried that!! I immediately set her up for another round afterwards, but never needed a second "training session"!

She's new and doesn't know your rules yet.Sounds like she wants to be territorial and throw you out of her stall. I do not do kicking no way. Usually around here it only takes one serious correction and they don't do this again. I"d tie her up in the stall and proceed to brush her and do her feet etc. and establish its your stall to move around in, not her's. Be ready for her. If she attempts to clobber you, its an easy and correction with her tied up. Work with her a couple of times daily tied up in the stall like this and see if that helps.

It was feeding time in her "new" territory. She's trying to be the boss of you. Make her face you before you enter her stall and keep facing you the whole time you're moving around in there. Don't let her eat unless she's giving you two respectful eyes with her ears forward. Drive her butt away with a crop if she steps it towards you at ALL and SMACK it HARD if she swings it or takes a kick at you. If you've got a round pen working her without a line would be helpful. Show her you can move her feet and control her food and you are the boss.

Morning all! Newbie to this site and to miniatures...but not to horses. This definitely sounds like a case of her wanting to establish herself as the herd boss, as well as keep you out of "her" feed. My new mini stallion tried this the first week he was here. Put his feed in his stall, reached out to swipe some hay off his back as I passed, he tried to rush/kick....then he found out I'm a "meeeaaann mommy"!!
default_thumbdown.gif
Holllered REALLY LOUD "quit", crowded him into a corner, picked up his pan and LEFT!! (The only reason he didn't nail me with a nip and heels is I'm well-trained by an old Arabian stallion to keep my eyes open around a stallion and expect the unexpected.) When I came back 30 minutes later with her feed (and the suggested crop), I made him face me, ears forward, and WAIT. He's very responsive to voice, so when I put the pan down, told him good, and backed off, he came in and checked with me before dropping his head to eat. I passed back out and left him alone to eat...we haven't had any issues since....but I can't say the same for our Jack Russel who seems to LOVE his pellets!!

I experirnced this just recently. As the others said she needs to understand the rules. My filly did the same thing so she got her quik smack and now she eats both meals in the alley way section of my barn which is like a run way during feeding time. I bring water buckets and hay back and forth by her. I will even stop and brush her scratch her all over just so she understands I am not there to invaid her space but I won't tollerate bad behavior. She hasn't attempted to kick me or lay her ears back since. In fact she has become more relaxed even with me walking by her and occaisionally bumping into her.

Good luck and don't worry they are silly at times as youngsters.

I have to agree with the general cenus about her testing the waters and being territorial, I did smack her butt with my hand when she did it, and then was very bossy, but it seemed to set her off more. but once she has that halter and lead on she is a different horse. I just need that sweet horse OFF the halter too. Oh, I have my crop in hand to go visit her again today. better prepared. I am not one of those softies, kicking will not be tolerated. that is why i need good solid advice, which thanks to all of you i have some things to try. I love the not giving her feed until she faces me with ears up. i imagine it will be difficult to teach at first. i also plan on some round pin work too. just feel like i need some leg guards! lol

we just have not really had to deal with this, most our youngsters were raised by us, and never tolerated, and i think mom may have taught them too.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back