What strange things do your horses eat??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmycritters

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]My riding horse loves ice cream and cones - he will gobble them up. We also found out at the last parade that he will gobble up hamburgers - cheese and all! ( Yes - I know this is not the best treat - he may get some thing like this very occasionally....) I put out spaghetti the other day on one of our stumps for my rooster and dogs...Well my little stallion ( who roams freely when I am outside ) decided he wanted to try some - I couldnt believe it!! :lol: All of the horses also love bread and always try just about any thing I give them - silly animals!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

Lori

My sister's big horse once took a bite out of her ham sandwich. He didn't spit it out either. Some of my horses will eat bread, others turn their noses up at it. Their favorite treat is candy canes and starlight mints. They can hear a cellophane wrapper a mile away. Good for getting them to put their ears up. Mine like sweet beverages and want to drink my gatorade and mountain dew. Maybe, other than the ham sandwich, these aren't so strange.

:saludando: Hello, I just wanted to bump this up to see what everyone gives their horses. I'm to affraid to try anything new with mine. Maybe I'll see some safe goodies for my two
default_wub.png
: . Anyone have something different their horses like. :bgrin

All my "children" big and small are addicted to peppermints. They look for them after every meal and also know if they do well while they work they will get them as rewards. I agree the wrappers are great for getting ears up!

Mine love Sweet Tea. If you have a glass in your hand, hide it! Everyone wants a sip, goats, horses, dogs and all!

Mine like butterscotch treats and peppermint treats. You are right the wraps they can hear a mile away...that is what Lizzie uses to get ears.

[SIZE=18pt]I had a big mare that used to eat PB&J, coke, and tea. All my horses like mints, starlite and the "pillow" mints ( the ones that melt in your mouth). Mine will eat dog bones, homemade or store bought.[/SIZE]

They don't get these on a regular basis, they usually just get their horse treats.

Christy

Mine love peanut butter cookies. My gelding won't touch much he's a real picky one. They all love peppermints. My gelding won't touch apples. My mare loves yogurt. Oranges are a big favorite too.

Karen

One day i was outside sitting down in the sun had a packet of crisps and my mini loved them he was licking his lips..And they love ice-cream especially vanilla........ :bgrin

They all loved McDonald's French Fries! Of Course they were in the back seat of my car when pulling up to the window. I had a Shetland that loved to eat Sausage McMuffins.~! . So anything from pop corn potato chips, to water melon, to Dairy Queen ice cream cone. to having there own Soda~! And a bite of my hamburger at times also.

Mine love to eat a twinkie! We give them twinkies on Xmas
default_smile.png
They also really like tortilla chips, along with all the traditional horse treats.

Ours don't really like a lot of strange stuff except for mints but the trollops behind the barn sure like there cold beer on a hot day poured into the trough.... lick it up till the trough glistens and shines from slobber. :lol:

ALL of mine love broccoli!! :eek: One mare's fav is pizza, and both she and her son, (my driving gelding) would walk a mile for a milk bone... My former stallion would kill for a cheeseburger. :new_shocked: :lol: :lol:

I had a buckskin mare once that loved marshmallows, licorice and popsicles. My QH gelding loves McDonalds Chocolate chip cookies. Won't touch the ones I bake though.

Just the other day we learned that our minis love sour patch kids candy. My little mares went totally nuts with these things. It was so funny!! They also love Pepridge Farms giant cinnamon Gold Fish.

Gotta love em!
default_yes.gif
:

Candice

Well my old quarter horse loved green grapes, would roll them around on his tongue than bite down with a look of such pure pleasure on his face he made you laugh. Also would steal Cokes from bystanders taking the bottle neck in his lips and tipping them up to chugg them!

Other odd balls:

A mini gelding that loves watermelon, eats it like a kid with his lips peeled back from his teeth and slobbering everywhere.

A mini mare that loves Halls cough drops, makes her nose run but she can't resist!

My former QH chased a kid for a pop tart and climbed steps for fried Chicken, she also liked chicken salad.

Karen

When I was young and showed my QH, Noah, I would have to pack an extra sandwich. He owuld only eat Ham and cheese with Mayo on it, nothing else, and he would wash it down with a can of black cherry soda. He looked so funny grabbing the can and drinking it. Of course now days I am older and smarter and would not let my horses eat anything like that.

Oh... all the horses liked watermelon! Especially the rinds!

Willie loves peppermints, they are his absolute favorite! He also likes butterscotch treats, french fries, chips, cheetos, carrots, and apples. I am too much of a baby to try anything else with him.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back