What strange things do your horses eat??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My weanling babies absolutely LOVE Fruit Loops!! All I need to do is rattle the box and they come a running!! I am careful NOT to give them too many - wouldn't want them on a "sugar high!"

I figure it is a good treat for babies and is something they shouldn't choke on.

Let's see,

Lady's favorite is peaches, then pears, then apples. She will eat apple treats if that is the only kind of apple she can get but nothing else, no carrots or candy, she won't try it.

Dawn will eat anything she sees you eating.

Maggie will too but her absolute favorite is wintergreen Tic Tacs.

Legacy likes any kind of candy.

Little Man is a pig and will try anything but sure does love his peppermint.

Mary

Our minis are pretty predictable, carrot and apple horse treats. We have 2 QH that aren't though. One loves Cheddar and Sour cream potato chips. The other one will chase you down for a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from McDonald's. :lol:

:aktion033: When I was a kid I use to ride an Anglo Arab gelding who you couldn't drink a coke in front of him, he'd drink it right out of the straw. He'd also strip all the hot peppers out of the garden.

One day i was outside sitting down in the sun had a packet of crisps and my mini loved them he was licking his lips..And they love ice-cream especially vanilla........ :bgrin

He'd also strip all the hot peppers out of the garden.

:new_shocked: :new_shocked:

My brother used to have an old pony that was well behaved unless he passed a trash can with a BBQ sandwich in it or someone eating one at a show. Then he would drag Steven over there. He LOVED them.

We have a mare right now that will try anything, and I do mean anything.

Some odd ones over the years........................my fathers rodeo horse loved tuna sandwiches

a camp horse I used to lease would steal hotdogs if you weren't paying attention.................most of my horses like coffee, beer, and pb&j........I had a mare who loved potato chips.........

and well as a kid we had a pony and there was a plant that was grown in our yard(hidden away behind stumps and such) that he would break loose and eat them (not to mention he'd get real mellow
default_wink.png
: )...then I would get in huge trouble and lets just say it wasn't really legal to grow these plants
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: I think I've mentioned I had an unusal upbringing
default_wacko.png
:

Not a food item, but Lotto has a toe fetish! In Summer he trys to nibble my toes and in Winter, he's after the slippers on my feet. (he's serious about it) We gave him an old shoe but he only wants mine.

Danny loves cookies! Don't even say the word "cookie" or he starts baiting like he's in a halter class and gets silly! LOL!

Over the years I've had horses that loved watermelon; corn on the cob,

without the silks; really ripe pears. My old timer, would do windows and

floors and take out the trash, years ago, if you'd give him those, OT Bear

boxed cookies.

They enjoy apples and carrots as part of each meal and get apples & oats

cookies for treats.

The two filly's will set up beautifully, in tandem, without being asked, for the

apples & oats cookies. We crack up laughing as they know when I pull out

the cookie jar.

This summer they've been coming in with blackberry stains on their lips.

All of ours love peppermints. They also are addicted to frosted Mini Wheats(the maple brown sugar flavor is to die for...well, according to them anyways
default_rolleyes.gif
: ). We have 1 Mini mare who loves oreo cookies and M&M's. They love cotton candy and candy apples from the fair too. I was eating Mike&Ikes Hot Tamales(the hot Fire kind) out by my Morgans stall yesterday..he insisted he wanted one, and he loved it...he sat there and sucked on it and thought it was pretty tasty.

My retired Saddlebred show horse will eat ANYTHING. Chips and dip, Pizza, Cheeseballs, Pepsi, fries, coffee, donuts...you name it, the horse will eat it!

Guess are horses are piglets
default_wub.png
:

Jen

Well like many of you guys I showed my Arab a lot when I was younger, and thought it was neat that he would eat almost anything I would. Mind you, he has preferences--Mountain Dew was his favorite soda, but like most men he turned his nose up at anything diet. We also baited him for halter with Werthers wrappers. To this day that horse sets and stretches himself as soon as he hears the wrapper. That said, he grabbed a sucker right out of a visitor's hand one day, and since then we have been very careful about what and how we give treats. Now the minis...I truly believe most of our mares would eat anything. I had to feed one barncat seperate from the others, so I put the food in a dish out in the mare pasture. Wouldn't you know it, a couple nights later I caught Tissy chasing the cat off and gobbling up the Meow Mix. Now every time I move her from barn to barn she checks all the dishes on the way just in case.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My big horse (in my avatar) loves to go to fairs so he can eat kettle corn and french fries. But the strangest thing he has eaten is CAT FOOD. He ate dry cat food that people put out for the cats at one place we boarded. But then at another place, he actually ate CANNED CAT FOOD they left on the top of the divider between the grooming stalls. I don't think there is any correlation, but he has had 2 colic surgeries that removed half of his small intestines. He now lives in our backyard where I can keep an eye on him!!!

Latest posts

Back