What steps do you take?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyboi09

Reaction score
I just was wondering what you do when you have some people coming to look at possibly buying a horse of yours? Any tips to make sure they are presented at their best would be appreciated. I don't have anyone coming soon, but I do have some weanlings that I will have to sell later on in the year, and I just thought it would be nice to know what other people do, or what you would like to see if you were going to look at a horse. I know to try and keep the barn and paddocks clean, that always sends a good impression, but would you body clip? Just a good bath? .... Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Will

Depends on the time of year.

I like to bathe and clip for the best impression but if weather is cool then just groom the best I can.

We always keep our barn tidy and clean stalls twice a day so it is usually in good shape even if people drop in.

My horses are spoiled, they typically have their bridal paths clipped, whiskers trimmed and always have their feet done since I do them myself. Stalls are done every night and the turnout is done once a week. So other than tidying up the turn out, come as you are. Put your best foot forward and enjoy the company, doesn't mean there will be a sale, just an opportunity to meet some mini people
default_smile.png

With that said, I have come to realize that there are alot of big farms out there that don't even do what I mentioned above, so with that said, I am pretty content with how I look after my herd.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, my horses ALWAYS get routine care and daily love :)

It's been a while since I've had minis for sale, but when I had several horses available I would put ads out in local papers. Whenever someone made an appointment to see the horses, I would just brush the horses down, clean all corrals, make sure premises is neat, have everything presentable. I liked having a small bag of carrots to let viewers enjoy feeding the minis a treat during their visit. Everyone loved that. I would let the horses out to run and play, and everyone loved seeing that.

Years ago, I worked in a pet shop for a woman who owned the place.

Sh ran a dog grooming service in the back part of the store and hired me to work the register. In the first week, I noticed how cages were messy and the place was dirty. I understand she was very busy, and couldn't find time to do anything about it, I guess.

Well, one day I freshend up the place....cleaned up bird cages, organized the display cases, and so on......

She was so surprised and thankful....I replied, "You want people to come into the store and say OH HOW NEAT, I WANT THAT. Not have them see the messy animals thinking, OH WHAT A MESS, AND WALK AWAY."

I really don't do anything different from my daily routine - stalls are mucked 2x/day, water buckets are changed daily, horses are groomed every day.
default_yes.gif

Liz R.

We always put on our best face and do the little extra on top of daily routines. But mostly we have the horse groomed, haltered and ready to be shown.I like to bath the horse, etc if I have time or at least have him groomed nicely.

With our large horses we must allow time for both ourself and the buyer to ride or handle the horse.

Always provide a safe , clean environment and be aware of children...sometimes they can put themselves in harms way so quickly.Even with minis.

I offer water and give the buyer my full attention. I don't rush them but if I see they are inexperienced I will limit the time they actually handle the horse...for safety and liability reasons.

Here we have state equine law liability signs posted and all electric fencing is signed. Any machine or equipment housing areas are marked no entry.

It is a great opportunity to meet people and enjoy some horse time .We usually have a good time regardless if we make a sale. We have met some great people both when we are buying and selling.

Same as Carolyn R pretty much. I try to keep my horses clipped up and bathed anyhow and stalls are cleaned daily.

I have the registration papers there in good order, as well as their health records.

I serve ice tea and cookies whether I make a sale or not. There might be sandwichs or burgers on the grill, cakes or pies,whatever but everyone that comes here EATS
default_eat.gif

Good customer service here.

My kids leave Sunday....I will do bridle paths and brushes and feet cleaning, halters are washed and their bags are packed. That's it for this time...with a broken foot a bath times 3 could be painful..for me.
default_rolleyes.gif

Obviously the others have touched on a well presented farm and horses (but they should ALWAYS look like that). When I visit a farm shopping I want 1) price lists; 2) pedigrees; and 3) all pertinent information (vaccination history, breeding history, etc....) If a seller doesn't have these items ready or wants to haggle over starting prices on horses, then I will likely move on.

I've not been involved with buying and selling, but if I were going to check out a horse for sale I would expect the horse to be clean, well fed and the property to be safe and secure (all things which should be standard around your farm anyway). If I were to arrive at a farm and find only the horses for sale to be in reasonable condition that would send out a negative image to me, as I would wonder about the past care of the animals hooves, worming etc. I expect all animals on the premises to be in reasonable condition (including non equines).

I would also expect to see the horse perform any claims as advertised... if you're selling a hunter/jumper I want to see how well it can be handled on a course, and if the ground is to hard or soft for actual jumping then I should at least see the horse led at walk trot and canter. If I'm checking out a driving horse, I expect to see it put to the cart. If I'm checking out a registered horse I expect to see the papers and for the owner to be ready to tell me a bit about the horses pedigree. I also want to discuss their general history (how many homes, any helath related info, behaviour issues etc).

What I would not expect: A glistening clean horse in the middle of a week of rain. A body clipped horse in the middle of a snowstorm, a horse with freshly trimmed hooves just for the visit- though I don't expect that they will be long and uncared for either. A seller doesn't need to freshly bathe and clip and trim a horse or scrub down the barn(IMO) for every potential buyer, but they should have the horse as groomed and presentable as is reasonable givin the time of year and circumstances. I also would not expect to be pressured, and if I want to visit again before making a decision, that should be encouraged by the seller (though I should not expect the horse to be held for me without a deposit).

Interesting topic. I agree with the barn/stall and horses always looking nice even if no visitors are expected. But, if I have potential customers coming, I always make sure to demonstrate that all horses can be handled including picking up their little hoofs etc. People will be impressed if you let them lead a horse that they may be interested in. And of course, let them play/pet the foals. A friendly foal can sell them self.!! I also quiz potential buyers on "what they know about caring for a miniature", yes, I confess to screening new homes for my horses. And yes, coffee is a nice touch. But probably NOT a BBQ!

We don't really change what we do from day to day as my husband is a

perfectionist so by mid afternoon everything here is neat as can be stalls cleaned and everthing in its place wether someone is coming or not. If it were left to me it would definitely not be as organized

in our barns and pastures not that I don't care but Art has the need to have it perfect

I more tend to be the put it away later kind of person

we do try to keep bridle paths trimmed as we like to look at our horses neat

but I must say not always.

but as far as people coming to look at horses they see the same as we see every day

So nothing special here, except possibly closing the gate to the further back pasture

so as not needing to walk so far to see a particular horse.

I would have paperwork organized on your sale horses and know the answer to questions

they might ask and a copy of papers handy.

Interesting topic. I agree with the barn/stall and horses always looking nice even if no visitors are expected. But, if I have potential customers coming, I always make sure to demonstrate that all horses can be handled including picking up their little hoofs etc. People will be impressed if you let them lead a horse that they may be interested in. And of course, let them play/pet the foals. A friendly foal can sell them self.!!

I didn't add that in my post because the above is a give in to me, as well as showing them the paper work, or at least sending them copies via email before they came to visit. I should note however, that while the above quote is a give in, I have also seen horses that were practically wild, they were the farms that I did not walk away from, I RAN AWAY FROM. While I don't think horses should be kept in one's house, mine, esp. my weanlings, are all calm enough to walk in one door through the house, past the dogs, and out the other door while on a lead, of course.

The only thing I'd do is make sure the horse is clean, and maybe pick through their mane/tail. I say that because of my horses have spots of dirt here and there, I don't clean them off everyday (they'll just get dirty in an hour lol!) but I would do that if a potential buyer was coming. I won't bring them in or anything, some people (such as myself) would want to see them out in their usual environment: see what they're like with the other horses, how readily they come over to you, how they are to catch and lead, ect. JMO of course
default_smile.png

Jessi

(ps I keep bridle paths done semi-routinely... hate them getting long so I shave them if they're getting long. In the winter I also keep heads (not ears) and possibly part of the neck shaved on almost every mini (doesn't get too cold here) because I have fuzzy yak heads lol! But if I didn't, I'd do that before the buyer came)

Hey Marty, I dont want to buy anything, but can I come over and pretend I want to buy something??? What'cha got on the grill?
default_biggrin.png

I could go for a little pre-purchase visit at Martys. I go tomorrow to make my final decision on a yearling mare. I am bringing with me in case i decide "YES" a big bag of my hay and grain, a new halter, photos of my stall, and living quarters , pasture, and photos of the other hooligans.....So I have the reverse question ....how do you decide someone is going to be a good horse mom?

I cleaned up my horses today, basically everyone was in need of halter trails. We got that taken care of. I gave a few baths, but Ill have to get some of the rest of them tomorrow. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Will

Latest posts

Back