What size is YOUR hunter/jumper ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
Humor me folks........

Trying to get an idea of how the smaller horses stack up against the taller ones, in hunter/jumper classes.

My boy is 29", 11 yrs old and jumps 34" with no problem. Would jump higher if I ask him but I don't want to pull a ligement and cripple him for life. He is a jumping fool and likes to show off, he is a typical stallion.

My old hunter/jumper was a 35" stallion.

My current hunter/jumper horse is Nitro. He is an amazing mover. Here are two pictures of him:

OldBellFarmShow064.jpg

AMHRshowJumper3.jpg

I Also jump the 33" mare in my avatar.

Both placed 1st at the AMHR Area II Show 2008 in Jumper. Both also placed in hunter and AMHR Canadian All Stars for 2008.

They also placed 2nd and 3rd in a height Jump off class offered at a show this year, similar to AMHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 34 inch gelding who could clear almost anything I put him infront of. I never accualy messured anything I put him over so i will say 3 to 4 feet, of course I did not ask him for that every day.

-Storm

Good thread - I am also very curious.

Our 4 year old 33 inch (or so) gelding has not been jumping too long and I don't know how much to push him. He has been jumping 27" at home for training. At his last Pinto show a couple of weeks ago he was in a jump-off at 30" (2' 6") and he went clear and won the class. He had never seen jumps that high before.

FYI, the maximum height for Pinto jumpers is 34" compared with 44" for AMHA. (Both go to 24" for hunters). And our Pinto Club's jumps don't go any higher than 30", so I guess we are set until they get new ones!

Mouse is a Hunter for the most part at this point, as we just started seriously training for jumping about 8 months ago (he is three).

He is 33" tall and has cleared 34" a few times pretty easily but I don't want to push him too much too soon so we'll see what he has as he conditions (I have read that it takes about six months for a horse's bones and joints to acclimate to a new high-impact activity for doing it regularly) and finishes maturing.

His sire could clear 38", and he was 33.25".

To me it's not just the height of a horse but the soundness, and Mouse is built pretty sturdily and correctly. He's been fed well for all of his life and has been exercised to condition for his job(s).

Liz M.

We have a rather pain in the neck Horsezilla named Magic. He is a 36 " "R" mini. Hubby was making a barn door that would give him plenty of circulation and the door was 44"s high, and before hubby had the door completely mounted, he had jumped over it! Hubby raised the door and ince and he still jumped the thing. He's just a jumping fool! Lol..

Tonto our tiny one is 26"s... and he jumped a 40" stall door. I tell ya... put a little orchard grass on the outside of a door, and it's amazing how high thse little guys can jump! What amazes me, is that both these boys jump from standing still... when I try and take them over a jump from a running start, they don't see to do as well. Maybe it's that I don't have any treats laying around. Lol..

One mini was have,. (brother to the 26 in guy) was being moved from one property to another and I had a leg problem, so walking wasn't an option. I used the car to pony the guy around the block to the other property and he felt like he was pulling the car. Now he's done this with a vehicle before, be it a John Deere Gator or a cart and even the car before, but he was so happy to be going, he was pulling the car. WHen I sped up to keep even with him in the little car, I looked down and he hit 21 mph!!!!! When I've ponied the boys before, I'd be feeling like they were moving if they hit 8 mph... So.. I have no clue where this tremendous burst of speed came from. Who knew a little 27 inch mini could run that fast or pull that hard???

God Bless,

Lynn W

I tell ya these little ones are athletic! My gelding I have been working with for about 6 months and he LOVES it. He loves to be challenged, and since I do horse trials also, challenging him is no problem for me. I have actually figured out how to count a mini stide to a fence, it is about half of what the big guys are, but I guess it would be shorter for those little ones. Right now we are working on 4 foot, but like storm said it isn't something we do all the time.

Courtney

P.S. my avatar is him at his 1st jumping show

our guy is 28.5 and can jump 2.6 no problem..Here is his pix though i cant seem to get him on take off or in the air...At times he will jump from a stand still if he feels it is too high he stops then pops right over..

4-9-06054.jpg

I forgot to add, Nitro is a 36" gelding. He has cleared 38" a few times but have yet to ask for more, I don't want to push him too much as I only got him in March. By Nationals next year he will be trained to clear 46" but still with good form.

Roy is a 35' er, and is an AMAZING jumper. One time during a jump off he cleared a meter and 50 cm. The only time I asked him for that high. He can jump stop on the other side, turn on a dime and jump again. Jump oxers, flowers, brush any thing and everything and keep good form every time. He loves it. He even jumped his pasture fence!! :new_shocked: bad boy
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Hears a pic of him, please dont mind his shag

RoyJump6.jpg

Here is Sid, I believe he's 31" and will jump just about any height set up for him. He is only AMHR so we don't fret too much about "how high" but he can clear 38" with ease. At least now that my daughter's legs have grown enough to get enough "steam" going anyway.

bobbiesidfence.jpg

I have Royal Salsa in training at the moment for jumping. He is 38'' and still a little green, i just started him last week on jumping but he has jumped before. So far the highest i have taken him over would be around 2'9'' rouphly. He WAY overjumps most of his jumps but he has nice form and allot of tuck. I'm working on getting pictures, i'm really proud of him. Like i said he is still green so we're not doing anything exciting yet but he really looks good.

My little Rocky at 31.5" could clear 40" when he was in training for jumping. My crazy yearling Ari-man jumped out of my 4 1/2 foot round pen from almost a stand still and cleared it by at least a foot!!! He really caught air and left me with mouth gaping! :lol:

My mare is 33" and can clear 46". (Though I hardly ever ask her to do such a jump!!)

Our best jumper is my boy Starstruck.He is 30" and can jump 48" :bgrin

Dealer is my hunter/jumper horse. He is 33 inches, but not sure how high he can jump exactly. I have never actually measured the jump, but I am guessing about 42 inches.

Not to mention that he is pretty darned good at Hunter, always taking at least 1 first in the class.

Dealer is the Area 6 Reserve Champion jumper-under

As well as National Top ten jumper-4th place

Plus he has won jumper at every other AMHR show he has been taken too.

webcopybackdrop.jpg

djump10.jpg

JumpingDealer5.jpg

May I ask...

What's the difference between a hunter and a jumper? And how do you know which you're horse is and/or is better suited for?
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks, Erin

May I ask...

What's the difference between a hunter and a jumper? And how do you know which you're horse is and/or is better suited for?
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks, Erin

Hunter is a class where the fences are lower, and your horse is judged on keeping an even pace throughout the course, as well as how they jump.

Jumper, for AMHR, is the fences are fairly low, and you run your heart out. Its a blast. AMHA jumper is jus thow high your horse can jump, and those fences can get high!

If you have a hot horse who loves to drag you over a course, I probably wouldn't put him in a hunter class.but AMHR jumper sounds like it would be perfect.

Back