What silly horses I have...lol

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
All four of my horses are living outside right now. They are in full winter coats, fat/healthy, and have shelter, so are perfectly capable of handling the elements of the great outdoors. Problem is, they rarely use their shelters. In the morning when I head out to feed, I always come across rain covered poines who just look miserable. I often say to them "If you'd go undercover, you wouldn't get so wet my dears." Does any one else have horses who do this? Just wondering if my horses are plain weird...LOL! I have blankets that they could wear, but I can't put them on until they dry off...and that doesn't look like its going to happen any time soon.

Erin
default_wacko.png
:

Does any one else have horses who do this?
Me...me!!!

I've always noted that mine don't mind the rain at all, but they hate the wind. Until recently, we had a corner tarp shelter in one corner of their dry lot, where they ccould be out of the wind but still be outside. They always used that and only went in their barn to poop.

Perhaps your kids are more protected from the wind away from their overhead shelter, even if they are in the rain? I forget exactly what your shelter are like< so I could be way off.

Hi. Both Bob and Tilly stand out in the rain - and then Bob appears to roll in it- he usually has mud all over his back!!! The other morning we had lightening storms - and it was pouring- I was getting ready to go out as they were stressing out and running everywhere - but by the time I got to them, they had decided that their shelter was the best place for them!! Go figure.

I have just read this post out to my hubby who is in the process of building our 'new mini' a shelter.

He made a good point.

'Perhaps the horses don't like the sound of the rain hitting the roof'?? It may spook/frighten them.

Sounds logical. We are going to put some styrene lining in the roof of ours as insulation and it will also cut down on the noise.

Mine also have 2 shelters but stand out in the rain looking all forlorn and bedraggled. :no: Go figure. I feel sorry for them but they do have shelters with straw to go into and very warm wooly coats so they must prefer the "wet" look.
default_wub.png
: Gotta love em.

Yep, Kody adores the bedraggled drowned rat look. He likes to loaf in his shelter on sunny days, but let it rain a drop and he's out in it! :new_shocked:
default_rolleyes.gif
: The good news is it washes the outer layer of his coat clean, the bad news is it washes all the dirt down to the root over the winter where it forms clots and rips out in the spring.
default_wacko.png
: Gotta love it.

Leia

YES!!!! just like children who would rather play with the boxes that their toys came in. Ive built them a barn, padded there stalls, put there feeders in there, and still they stand in front of it looking in while its raining. I too want to know if there afraid of the noise of the rain on the roof. I first thought that it was because they couldnt see out so I put up a pole shelter only to be ignored too. our big horses will stand under the barn roof , except for one who stands with his head in and his but out. DR.

Back