What Should I Do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would someone look at my stallions pedigree and tell me if they recognise any known dwarfs in there please
default_smile.png
theres none that I know of in there ,if there are they must be a long way back

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/rha+rangers+absolut

I believe there are several miniature clubs in Iowa and I would think they would love to have a youth join their club. Just do an internet search or perhaps some of the people on this board from Iowa will jump in? I am not sure where you are located in IA but it sounds like southern IA. If you are central or northern or western IA considerd the SDMEC (South Dakota Miniature Equine Club) or the MMHC (Minnesota Miniature Horse Club). Our MMHC shows are almost always in Winona MN which is just over the border from IA. And we would LOVE to have you join.....

Good luck to you (and I vote geld him for all of the reasons others have mentioned.) It is great to see a young person getting involved!!!!

There are two clubs in Iowa. The All American Miniature Horse Club is the Eastern Side of the state and the Iowa Miniature Horse Club is the Western side of the state but most members are members of both and they both have shows every year. The websites are:

http://allamericanminihorseclub.com/

http://www.iowaminiaturehorseclub.com/

Awww Buddy looks like the kind of gelding I would want to add to my program (showing, pet, therapy). He would make a perfect youth gelding, imo. Plus he's got a great build and I'd love to see him as a performance horse of some kind. If I had the room, I'd take him!

Like every one else said, he would be happier as a gelding. It makes things a world easier with turning too out, as, well, you can turn him out with the other horses (just remember if he's with mares you still have a window period after gelding where he's still fertile, so be careful to wait it out before putting him with any mares!). I also agree that a good stallion makes a great gelding and great geldings, especially youth ones, are worth more than their weight in gold. My friend's old room mate trained youth ponies. She only trained geldings. Those little guys sold for more than equally trained stallions. Parents who want their kids to have a good horse will pay the world to find a safe gelding that will teach their kids the ropes and they can trust enough to do so. When it comes to value, mare, stallion, or gelding does not matter (to a degree), what matters is training. An unbroken 5 year old stallion will nice conformation and a good pedigree isn't worth as much as an equally nice 5 year old gelding who has been trained to be a youth horse than can drive, jump, do in hand obstacle, etc.

And if you have no plans on breeding him yourself... Why not geld? Its like having an unnetured dog that you only want as a pet. It only makes sense to geld/neuter
default_smile.png
The fact that he has produced dwarves is also something to keep in mind. Even if you don't believe ever dwarf producing stallion should be gelded, Buddy hasn't made it to worlds (yet-I hope to see you two there as a youth/gelding team!) nor does he have a huge show record full or wins to justify keeping him a possibly dwarf producing stallion, imo at least. And don't like the whole "but we paid this $$$$ much for him back in xxxx year and now we can't get even this $$ much for him" thing get in the way; the economy is bad. While it might not all chalk up to that, theres no denying that fact either, bad economy leads to a bad horse market.

Let us know how it goes, I hope you're able to geld him!

PS - We need more like you, people who want to geld their stallions!

Awww Buddy looks like the kind of gelding I would want to add to my program (showing, pet, therapy). He would make a perfect youth gelding, imo. Plus he's got a great build and I'd love to see him as a performance horse of some kind. If I had the room, I'd take him!

Like every one else said, he would be happier as a gelding. It makes things a world easier with turning too out, as, well, you can turn him out with the other horses (just remember if he's with mares you still have a window period after gelding where he's still fertile, so be careful to wait it out before putting him with any mares!). I also agree that a good stallion makes a great gelding and great geldings, especially youth ones, are worth more than their weight in gold. My friend's old room mate trained youth ponies. She only trained geldings. Those little guys sold for more than equally trained stallions. Parents who want their kids to have a good horse will pay the world to find a safe gelding that will teach their kids the ropes and they can trust enough to do so. When it comes to value, mare, stallion, or gelding does not matter (to a degree), what matters is training. An unbroken 5 year old stallion will nice conformation and a good pedigree isn't worth as much as an equally nice 5 year old gelding who has been trained to be a youth horse than can drive, jump, do in hand obstacle, etc.

And if you have no plans on breeding him yourself... Why not geld? Its like having an unnetured dog that you only want as a pet. It only makes sense to geld/neuter
default_smile.png
The fact that he has produced dwarves is also something to keep in mind. Even if you don't believe ever dwarf producing stallion should be gelded, Buddy hasn't made it to worlds (yet-I hope to see you two there as a youth/gelding team!) nor does he have a huge show record full or wins to justify keeping him a possibly dwarf producing stallion, imo at least. And don't like the whole "but we paid this $$$$ much for him back in xxxx year and now we can't get even this $$ much for him" thing get in the way; the economy is bad. While it might not all chalk up to that, theres no denying that fact either, bad economy leads to a bad horse market.

Eohippus has given you outstanding advice! I too would geld him, not only will he be happier and not stressed out when mares are going into to heat, but he will be happier and easier to handle, and eventually show. Also, no worries about him escaping and breeding your mares or worse in his pursuit for love, get onto a road and get hit by a car, attacked by a dog, etc. And if one day he should sell, it will greatly open your berth of possible sales by being a well trained seasoned show/pet/parade gelding rather than a stallion who was a pasture potato for a few years. It will also make him healthier and reduce his risk for testicular cancer and put him in a better place mentally. I love the geldings, one can never have too many geldings
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

Dan.

default_smile.png
The fact that he has produced dwarves is also something to keep in mind. Even if you don't believe ever dwarf producing stallion should be gelded, Buddy hasn't made it to worlds (yet-I hope to see you two there as a youth/gelding team!) nor does he have a huge show record full or wins to justify keeping him a possibly dwarf producing stallion, imo at least. And don't like the whole "but we paid this $ much for him back in xxxx year and now we can't get even this $ much for him" thing get in the way; the economy is bad. While it might not all chalk up to that, theres no denying that fact either, bad economy leads to a bad horse market.

Thanks everybody.

I would LOVE to geld him, but being a minor I cannot geld him without my parents permission. I have even tried to buy him from my parents! And they still won't let me geld him. And no, there will not be anymore foals. Their whole idea of NOT gelding him makes no sense to me. Hopefully, in the future I will be able to geld him and maybe even show him further.

So, I have decided to compromise to my parents wishes, and not push the gelding. I will instead show him as is, but I will still push the gelding at a later date.
yes.gif
Until then, I can just train him and the rest of my herd. Hopefully, some day I will be able to pay for my vet to come out and geld him.

@supaspot, your stallion has some of the same lines as a couple of my horses. None of them scream dwarf to *me*, but you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out your local clubs associated with the registries.........PLUS each registry. I do know that there are ways to earn "gelding money" according to each class a gelding is entered. Stallions won't qualify.
default_smile.png

Thanks everybody.

I would LOVE to geld him, but being a minor I cannot geld him without my parents permission. I have even tried to buy him from my parents! And they still won't let me geld him. And no, there will not be anymore foals. Their whole idea of NOT gelding him makes no sense to me. Hopefully, in the future I will be able to geld him and maybe even show him further.

So, I have decided to compromise to my parents wishes, and not push the gelding. I will instead show him as is, but I will still push the gelding at a later date.
yes.gif
Until then, I can just train him and the rest of my herd. Hopefully, some day I will be able to pay for my vet to come out and geld him.

@supaspot, your stallion has some of the same lines as a couple of my horses. None of them scream dwarf to *me*, but you never know.
If you really get into showing him, remind your parents you can do more with him as a gelding. And if you're doing more with him you'll be happier, have better grades, and stay out of trouble. Then bring it up with your Dad that if you're busy with your gelding your gelding you'll keep away from boys ;) I know in high school that line won my father over many times!

He's a cute guy, and regardless what they paid for him, today's market isn't the 2005 market. Very high quality stallions and mares are selling for less than a thousand dollars now - look at any sales board, Craigs List, etc.

I wasn't quite clear, you KNOW or THINK he's sired dwarves (more than one?) If that is the case there shouldn't be any reason for him to stay intact. At all.

All in all he'd make a much more enjoyable member of your family and he would be a wonderful gelding that you can show now. And if he's trained to show FFA/4H/Mini shows - you've added value to him than trying to sell a stallion in this market.

I was not saying DON"T GELD. I was mearly pointing out that according to the picture in the pedigree the horse "Dell Teras Lord of the Isles" Has an odd shaped head, very short neck, large body and very short legs. To me says Dwarf.

would someone look at my stallions pedigree and tell me if they recognise any known dwarfs in there please
default_smile.png
theres none that I know of in there ,if there are they must be a long way back

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/rha+rangers+absolut
Go to your horses pedigree and look at every horse that has a picture posted. You will know a dwarf when you see it.

Tell your parents that in addition to being worth more as a trained gelding than as a stallion carrying the dwarf gene that you will be much more safer around him gelded once he matures. A stallion that is not getting to breed can get an attitude that could put you in harm's way.

Latest posts

Back