What kind of clippers do I need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbminis

Reaction score
gallery_43883_184_354562.jpg
I want to trim my mini horse Taco and I don't have clippers. What kind should I buy? This would be the first time he has ever been clipped (he is only 3 months old).

Thanks,

Rebecca

Last edited by a moderator:
If you only plan to do a little bit of clipping, then I'd recommend the Wahl KM-2 clippers. I bought a pair when I got my first mini and they were powerful enough to get rid of his winter woolies and they are great for clean-ups (clipping bridle path, jaw whiskers and such). [if you plan to clip lots of minis and lots of hair, then you might want to consider a more powerful set of clippers.] I can't remember which one now, but one of the on-line supply places has them on sale right now for under $100 (or right around there). Might be Horse.com, but I'm not sure. [yep, its Horse.com http://www.horse.com/item/wahl-km-2-two-speed-equine-clipper/SLT901836/ Don't know if they are being discontinued or if its just a good sale.]

We love our oster clippers. Many like double K clippers. But for just at home clipping I think an oster or wahl is fine

I think you will get as many different opinions as there are kinds of clippers. I have a very nice pair of Andi's. I love them. I have had them for 6 years now and have not had to have any work done on them. I have a pair of Osters that I had rebuilt last year and I can not even do a bridle path with them. Pretty much trash. I just haven't put them in the trash yet. I can do a ruff clip including legs on a mini with my Andi's in about an hour. I just change blades as they get hot.

If you don't have a whole bunch of horses to do show clips on you might be perfectly happy with a set of Wahl Chromado cordless clippers--that's what I have & I do a lot of clipping with them. I do have a set of Double K's as well but never use them. I've used my Chromados for 7 seasons now & they're still holding a charge quite well (they cut back a little on clipping time last year but I can still do a lot of clipping on one charge) The one summer I had 6 foals & body clipped them all with these cordless clippers--other years I've had 1, 2 or 4 foals that I've clipped with them. In addition to that I do my spring clipping with them--clipping legs, heads and taking excess hair off rumps and bellies, plus I clip my show ponies legs & heads with them. I generally can use just one blade for the entire spring/summer, and that's with clipping dirty horses--I never bath or vacuum them prior to clipping. When I clip the heads on the show horses I do put a new blade on just so I know I'll get a sharp, neat job.

We love our oster clippers. Many like double K clippers. But for just at home clipping I think an oster or wahl is fine

Ditto! Gotta love Oster. Haven't found a coat they wouldn't glide through.

I love the double k clippers for show clipping but I also have a set of andies clippers that I have used prior to owning the double k's and still use them for bridle paths & for at home trims.

I love my Double K clippers but I also love my Andis Super 2-Speed ACG's. I think those would serve you well if you are not going to be doing frequent clipping
default_yes.gif

Back