What kind of cart is this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowriseMinis

Reaction score
I might be going to have a look at it! Not the best pics, but does it look any good? Do you think it would be alright for schooling/local shows and maybe an ADT?

cart1.jpg

cart2.jpg

cart108.jpg

no idea who made the cart

it appears to be sound (although could definately use refinished)

and does have several good features

the two most important (especially for cdes):

1. wheels are set to the side not under the seat

will help stability- keep you from tipping over as easily

allows you to change wheels out for larger wooden wheels

2. it has leaf springs which will cushion some bounce and thus ride better than an easy entry

Road Cart maybe? I bet some soap would spif it right up. Get some wooden wheels and I think you could do with it what you want.

I was thinking it looked a little rough, but as long as it's sound it can always be spiffed up. I thought it would look great with some wooden wheels, too. She's letting the cart and harness (harness is just an e-bay cheapie but should be okay to toodle around in for a little bit) pretty cheap, AND it's close enough that I can do pick it up.

Planning to go see it Friday!
default_wub.png

Looks like a "Homemade Job" to me, but looks pretty well made.

If the cart and harness are cheap enough that the harness comes in for nothing and you can still afford the cart I would go for it...check size though, take a tape measure!!!

It looks heavy, but could be deceiving. I'd check the balance when you look at it. If you can hold the shafts up at harness height with just one finger, it would be OK.

I'll bet it'll be pretty cleaned up.

I'm having her get some measurements for me before I go down to see it-Shaft length, total length (gotta make sure it fits in the van) and wheel height. Any other measurements I should ask for? I'll take a tape measure and double check, and I'll be sure to check the balance on it, too.

When checking the balance, you need to sit in the cart and have someone else see how much pressure are on the shafts. You in the cart changes the balance.

Honestly when you take a double look that just looks like dust built up on that cart not that it needs new sanding/finishing. could be wrong. Dust settles like that around here on our carts and would look like that if taken in a photo. look at the back of the seat where someone obviously brushed it when they laid the harness on it. i bet it's in better shape than that photo appears!

I think it looks like it has a ton of potential, even if you do end up having to sand and stain or sand and paint. What a fun project that will be! I sure wish I could luck into a find like that, that's just what I'm looking for. A nice, used easy entry or similar cart for jaunts in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears solidly-built, but also may be heavy-and does not appear to have an adjustable seat, so may not balance properly. I'd need to know the weight, and how much weight is on the horse's back when you are seated properly in the cart. Also--having a passenger changes the balance; when you have a seat that is adjustable (forward/back), that enables you to 'adjust' the balance so that the horse can remain comfortable-so whether you intend to ever take a passenger should be a factor in a purchase decision. I'd be very cautious about purchase for these reasons.

Margo

Latest posts

Back